+a no tachiichi

Group Leader
I've uploaded our translation of this. Let me know if you spot any problems, like missing or out-of-order pages/chapters. Gomigeemu did Chapter 1, and while I might at some point go back and do that one too, I don't have anything right now.

Contributor
I loved, LOVED the thought process that went into this manga. It subverted all my weary shoujo expectations and it wasn't afraid to end the story in a way that would probably elicit WTF reactions from its demographic.

Thank you so much for translating this series! This made me lol, nod my head in agreement, and swoon a bit with the closing scene. What an enjoyable title this was!

Lux

Power Uploader
Pages in chapter 1 are out of order or missing.

Group Leader
@omnilynx Thanks for the scanlation. I love this manga. Can I ask for recommendations of similar manga?

Beta female alert!! She was pretty annoying throughout but not a bad series

Apparently there's a continuation? https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=134514

Dex-chan lover
Man that was so dumb it was a little bit good. Just a little.

I suppose it was a good thing she's not read or played a Nasuverse-type title before. Overpowered or 'cheat' is one thing, but I'd suspect 'Anti-World Weapon of Mass Destruction' might just be a little bit on the excessive side.

It was a nice little story. Definitely more fitting to have 2 volumes rather then a rushed oneshot I feel some authors would shorten this kind of idea into (I've read too much of those as it is). Even an abrupt ending didn't leave a bad aftertaste, surprisingly... I can see why some people would be disappointed though.

This feels like a story about one of those events, that can be a call to make some changes in life for our heroine. She saw a glimpse of what it feels to have a role to play in the bigger picture. Even if she gone back with nothing, it wasn't completely pointless.

Dropped. I have little interest in a "protagonist" who just lets everyone push her around on their whim. Japanese women like to call passive men "herbivores", but this woman is the most extreme example of an herbivore yet.

Contributor
I like the premise a lot; subverting the whole shoujo isekai formula like this is pretty great. I'm just disappointed personally at the ending; I desperately need that continuation.

I'm seething right now. Stayed up till sunrise for this. Why do I let myself have expectations....

read ur own risk bro. dont be like me and suffered with disappointment and rage at the end

Verdict: Not Recommended
Reading Status: Dropped @ Vol. 1 Ch 4 [Skipped to End, Afterwards]
Ambiguous, Open Ending

1. The story fundamentally fails the protagonist at the most basic function.
2. There was no catharsis, or meaningful experience to encourage reading further.
3. How the author addresses the morality of being different from what is valued.

The set up is that we have an unlikely protagonist that doesn't conform to the "expectations of society". So it follows that this was a chance to see how that person's perspective could be represented. The attraction was seeing how a different kind of heroine would create the shape of narrative and while this was a rather unexpected ending because of her type of personality, it was also deeply disappointing and an exercise in seething frustration. The reason why I think it fails the heroine is because it gets too caught up on how this story shouldn't be about her - and yet the fact that she had the ability to manifest magic is a very clear statement.

The status then becomes a conundrum, She is the Chosen One but she is not suitable to be the Chosen One.

But what decides the factor of being unsuitable? Because she's not pretty? Because she doesn't have the mentality of throwing herself into it? Because she doesn't wish to? Then what is the reason for giving her the abilities and skills to participate? Because that qualification is the only rule that gives her the title of Holy Maiden. In this wide grey world, there's so much that can be empathized; we have that particular weakness of strength along with the fact that, we are all secondary characters in other people's lifetime. On what merits does the other girl have which make her more worthy? It's just too superficially determined and the conceit of forcing certain definitions on "ROLE" types and playing to that direction really cuts into how enjoyable one finds it.

Decisions were made to tell the story in this way and it's perfectly valid to turn the Main Character into Cannon Fodder. As a reader, a writer, a dreamer and outsider, I just don't find it very satisfying. This is not the kind of fantasy that I am looking to escape to, and the message of surrendering to conformity is incredibly unappealing. I honestly am saddened by the disrespect and indignity the heroine went through (both in canon and in a meta sense) for this and am writing this review to help inform others on making investments of time.

Contributor
An interesting setting, with lots of fun characters, but neither really get much development. People might say that Satoki is being walked over way too easily, but as someone who doesn't particularly like standing out and would suit being a minor character more than a major, I completely relate to her and understand her situation. I would love a continuation or a remake of this, but that probably won't happen...

Users who are viewing this thread