Aliens, Or No Aliens, What Are Your Thoughts On The Recent Whistleblower?

TGN

Dex-chan lover
Well, he's not a whistleblower. He got explicit permission to have the talk. More of a mouthpiece than a whistleblower. But in any case, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and an appeal to ethos doesn't provide that evidence. I'm also skeptical.

Dex-chan lover
Aliens are real. I want my flying saucer back, haven't been home since covid

Group Leader
All I know is that "non-human" can mean "bacteria" or even just "minerals".
Haven't bothered with this at all, but from the few snippets I saw it seems just a careful choice of words to make us think something instead of other.
I do believe other planets in the universe can have life forms, but this case in particular smells of PR stunt and nothing more.

Dex-chan lover
Aliens: We have amazing technology that is beyond your comprehension, and have traveled incredible distances with ease to visit your planet!

Also aliens: We are going to be taken advantage of and hidden from public view by your government, which can't achieve universal healthcare or practical tax administration.

For some reason I'm not buying it.

Dex-chan lover
Do I believe there are other life forms in the universe? Yes. Do I believe the bullshit they're spewing? Nah it's a distraction.

Dex-chan lover
I'd get freaked out about aliens if it was around 10+ years ago, but like, in this economy? Forget want, I can't be bothered about aliens now.
I'd say that these foreign objects (not necessarily aliens) are just distractions by the government. shrug

Dex-chan lover
Most people are so worn out and tired from life that they honestly wouldn't think about it, even if true, and just move on to trying to pay their bills. Decades ago this would've been huge, but after a global pandemic, years of lock down, multiple economic crisis, political instability, war, basic necessities rising, gas prices etc. no one is really worried about space folk being real or not.

Dex-chan lover
Aliens are us. Some people are trying to hide the evidence that we were exiled from our race because of our poor genetic conditions. We don't belong on earth. We are plague to this beautiful planet.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting, so most people here are skeptical as well. That's good to know.

Here's a Fun fact: Don't believe anything the US government says. They're no one's friend but their own.

Dex-chan lover
No aliens. Totally invented by USA on Area 51. Look it up at Mojave Desert.

Those pictures, those were yellow men forced to water wheel torture. Even the eyes blacked due to immense clotting by drowning.

Dex-chan lover
I do believe there are beings on other worlds and dimensions of reality outside our own understanding but they won't be visiting earth because we are in quarantine due to sin and rebellion against God. I believe the UFOs and cryptid creatures are actually constructs of man or Lucifer and his angels meant to confuse and deceive us into doubting the Biblical account of our existence and creation.

Dex-chan lover
I'm slightly cheered by the high ratio of skeptical eyerolling to credulous batshittery in the responses so far. Having participated in a few discussions of Japanese-style comic books chapters on this site, I was worried it'd go the other way.

Me, I'm in favor of aliens. By which I mean the possibility of them. To be honest, I've wished nearly all my life to witness the arrival of some -- by which I mean any, any even half-credible -- evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life in our stupid empty butthole universe. But a near-century of collective human seeking has, to date, produced sweet fuck all. The universe's silence on this point depresses me in much the same way (or so I imagine) that God's silence depresses the depressive Christian. Only more so, in that the universe actually exists.

It's not the loneliness of humanity's isolation that gets me down. Loneliness and I have a pretty good working relationship. And though they hung heavy over my teen sci-fi mind dungeon, I'm no longer bothered by the quasi-scientific "implications" of universal silence. Somewhere along the way, I noticed that the human perception of any given situation's implications will almost always tend, in the absence of good information, toward anxious superstition. Applying this insight to myself, I find, helps keep the occasional recurrence of cosmic horror in perspective.

My despair arises, I think, from the empty universe's denial, on the grandest possible scale, of transformative strangeness. I'm neither a religious believer nor a spiritual seeker. I've never seen an aura, "felt a presence", or received a premonition. Where others discern the fingerprints of their preferred Creator, I see the output of nested physical systems, a pachinko-verse in which waves and particles throw shapes. I nevertheless long very deeply to experience a radical break in what I take to be reality. I'm not talking about drugs or madness. I want the unreal made real.

I'd give almost anything to learn a bit of magic, befriend a winged lion, or join for a moment the procession of immortals who glide forever above the clouds. But none of those things, the dreams of ages long past, seems plausible in the present. Which is where the aliens come in. Rational materialism is obliged to grant at least the possibility that the crab nebula's ranking Cubic Z-Lords can deploy super freaky space-type cube powers. Aliens are, in this sense, a kind of transtemporal cheat tube, one through which a semblance of the atavistic uncanny can be successfully ported into the dully rational framework of 21st century consensus reality.

Our silent stupid butthole universe doesn't outright deny the existence of aliens, but it's not playing ball. That's not a problem in itself, as we can easily make up excuses for the universe's total fucking lack of alien anything anywhere ever. Unfortunately, however, the volume of bullshit required to excuse an entire universe makes it all but impossible for the bullshitter to suspend disbelief throughout the application process. At which point, ~poof~ go the aliens. I'm being flippant, but the loss kind of breaks my heart.

I mean, I love life. I love the world. But I very nearly hate living in a world that has outlived its sustaining ghosts, gods and monsters. What would any of us be, I wonder, without a few ridiculous dreams?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
There is a great line from the Contact movie (which may have been in the book too, but it's been decades since I read it) about how it would be a waste of space for there not to be life somewhere in the universe.

That does not mean there is any reasonable likelihood* it is within our own galaxy, let alone close enough where contact would mean a damn. The possibility of life outside of our solar system is a fascinating intellectual exercise, but the idea it looks anything like pop culture's representation of aliens is, well, human chauvinism at its worst.

*Disclaimer: former astrobiologist here, but sadly no references for any studies that might have tried to estimate this. Stopped doing the lab thing a long time ago.

Dex-chan lover
Aliens: We have amazing technology that is beyond your comprehension, and have traveled incredible distances with ease to visit your planet!

Also aliens: We are going to be taken advantage of and hidden from public view by your government, which can't achieve universal healthcare or practical tax administration.

For some reason I'm not buying it.
... universal healthcare = alien tier technology XD

Users who are viewing this thread