Ao Ashi - Vol. 9 Ch. 91 - Three and a Half Years Ago (3)

Dex-chan lover
togashi is right, how are you going to go pro if you lack the actual passion for winning, if they just see a doll that does what they want they will not evolve as a player (that guy that got to the adult team proves that, in just the minutes he had, he wasn't thinking about going pro but winning and be a part of the team)
it's great that Aoi noticed that.
also unlike Kuroda, Togashi shows appreciation for the team.
although there are a lot of forwards that are like him (is probably the reason why the coach of musashino allows a player like that in a teamplay focused team.)

this view of football in a manga series is really great. (giant killing being the best)

I think that togashi is right too, they only have the ambition to become a pro but what's the use of becoming a pro and being a loser, they lack ambition and thats the reflection of their ability. Actually for me the only way to become a professional player and have success its winning,having dedication and doing or training more than you need.

Thats one problem i have with japanese sports manga,maybe because i'm brazilian, but usually you don't see characters dreaming big and irl people dream with being the best player in the world or playing a world cup even if it doesn't happen they had a goal to strive. Maybe i'm wrong because it's Japan.

Fed-Kun's army
So takeshima had an ephiphany just then, while Kuroda's the only one self aware from the beginning.

I guess the teamwork is in shambles because everyone is affected by bystander effect, which is caused by differing approach to football.

I wonder what's the compromise/solution for this problem.

togashi's slay
i feel like kuroda had a point too but it's just . hard to root for him ?? if that makes sense like it's just not very protagonist of him
togashi is just so cool

thank you for the chapter as always!!!

Fed-Kun's army
@victorkok To the contrary, I feel like most characters in sports manga dream pretty big which is why I find it refreshing to see a more pragmatic outlook from the youth academy kids here. Doesn't seem like the popular opinion though, so I'm not going to ramble on haha

@NinjaSpider oh yeah, sorry i was specifically talking about soccer(football) mangas, the others i'm pretty sure they dream big my bad. Area no Kishi,Ao Ashi,Be Blues and Days, a lot of characters their big dream its onlye be a pro and maybe be part of national team its very rare see someone wanting to be the best player in the world

Fed-Kun's army
@victorkok Hm sure, but it's arguably unrealistically naive for everyone to think they can be the best player in the world. Even here, I don't see Togashi trying to be the best player in the world but talking about just always giving 100% effort and putting their 'lives on the line'. I don't really think that's realistic though. In the previous match in the flashback, it seemed like Esperion was easily winning so there's no reason to overhype it as a 'life or death' match and get injured when they're winning handily in a match that's not even important enough for the coach to be present. Even professionals pace themselves - just passing around the ball after winning the first half 3-0 is considered a 'professional' performance because you have to take the longer view into account. Sure they could've stopped the ball from going in themselves here if they thought about it as a 'life or death' match, but is it worth a head injury that could potentially put you out of football forever (and worse, maybe affect your everyday life)? Nah I don't think so.

There's a difference between slacking off and pacing yourself so that you still win all games. You can't stay injury-free and can't have a long pro career if you don't do the latter properly. Messi doesn't track back and conserves energy so he can go on his mazy runs whenever needed. He can't do that if he's always running on 100% energy. Can't play 60 games in a season if you're always going at 100%.

I kind of understand the idea that elementary students are this fierce or intense because I used to play volleyball during my elementary and high school days, and compared to what I am now, I was definitely more passionate as a child.

Also Togashi's right, the idea is they had a goal in mind, and that is to become a pro, but the actions they are showing are leading them to a totally different path from their goal. I understand why he's irritated with them because, as a reader, I also felt frustrated.

Users who are viewing this thread