Blue Hearts - Vol. 3 Ch. 33 - The Place Where I Belong

I wanted to like this. I expected good things because this is the author of Re:life. I thought that the beginning of the story was promising and had a lot of potential for depth. I wanted to like this, but I don't.

First, just off-hand, refer chapter 16. In the last panel, it specifically points out Dai is not a fighter. Let's ignore the Japanese trope of not reporting rape to the police and wanting to beat up rapists as though that's punishment. This chapter, it explicitly says Dai was well-known for his strength in a combat sport. Okay, fine, I can understand kendo not being the same as street brawling. This is only a minor issue, but it just looks a little off.

The problem I'm having right now is that this is exactly what a now-deleted comment said. This is drama fatigue. It's back-to-back-to-back drama, and I'm not going to be surprised if we do two more arcs of drama just for the sake of drama. We had Seto's rape arc, then Mizusawa's bullied friend arc, and now Dai's betrayal arc. I am almost certain the order next will be Ichijou's arc and then lastly Nagi's arc to round it out, and both of them are sure to be as drama-filled as this one.

It looks cheap. It looks artificial. It's like the author is trying to go for depth by saying drama and a harsh backstory automatically adds depth. It doesn't.

That's on top of the other issues that I have with this series. Nagi is mildly sexist enough to make me somewhat dislike him (chapters 11 and 16). Add on his tendency towards violence we continuously see (he lifted the gossiping student by the collar in order to extract information in chapter 31, on top of his first punch meeting with Ichijou). It gets to be a culmination of cheap decisions by the author that make me really disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread