Boy's Abyss - Ch. 183 - They Were the Boys and Girls of That Town

Dex-chan lover
WELP... ITS AN ENDING I GUESS!

I can't say I hate this manga, cuz like, 65-70% of it was solid. It should have ended sooner, but sometimes authors have a hard time stopping where it's natural. The last arc was a slog cuz of that.

The last portion of this manga very much was a melodramatic nightmare, a lot of the characters turned into flanderized versions of themselves (except Gen and Chako, mostly cuz they fuckin didn' show up much/at all lol). I think a lot of the themes that worked for the rest of the story didn't quite get to stick the landing here.

overall 7/10. I think it's far from being mediocre (6 and under on my scale), just a really rocky ending. The journey up until that point though had some great moments and the story was really solid.

Dex-chan lover
Sigh, goddamn manga publishers ruining good series and authors who can't end series well unless they have full creative control, a disaster waiting to happen.

I loved this manga but the ending felt too quick, while realistic it sucked.

Dex-chan lover
I'll second everyone's thoughts and say this was an unsatisfying ending.

Dex-chan lover
Was that it? My first impression was that she was trying to cut him loose, for his sake, by flying into a (really nonsequitous and substance-lacking) tizzy-- which is why she told him to skip town.
Yuuko was word vomiting about having wanted a girl.

She wanted to prepetuatue the chain of misery by prostituting the next generation, but having a boy instead was a major setback for her plans. She hated men as a whole for all the things they made to her. Not only Esemori, but also Uryuu, that yakuza ojisan, her dad, her older bro.

You can say she had a huge woman moment.

Dex-chan lover
i dont get it. man, this was an incredibly bumpy ride. the closing chapters were bad, imo. i struggle to get what they are trying to convey.

Dex-chan lover
Loved reading it until the series just become a train wreck in slowmo since chapter 70 or so (right when the first time skip happened). Didn't really expect anything yet still disappointed lol.
And the part in pg. 20 was super cut into another big time skip... Why even leaving it vague when at the end of the day Reiji still stuck in that same town, alive?
I struggle to get anything out of this ending.

Double-page supporter
Wow
Wow
Wow
Wow
Wow
Wow

Wow

Wow

Wow

Wow
Wow

Wow

Wow

Wow

Wow

Wow

Just wow

Wow

Wow

Wow

Wow

Dex-chan lover
I didn't expect a good ending but this is just....bad lol.
Welp at least it ended.

However what wasn't bad were the translations. Thanks for the hard work!

What an unexpectedly sweet and wholesome ending lol. I won't claim it's perfect but it feels good to see most of the characters end up how they did. Especially considering they implied that Reiji and Nagi are just living together happily on a mountain together now, its nice to imagine them working through their respective damage together and supporting each other. Gen and Chako are duo'd again good to see and the scene of Reiji waving at them through the car is heartwarming. I felt like that last scene with Yuko was her finally having her own issues concluded with Esemori dying and basically freeing Reiji of her own volition giving him closure and the ability to leave without any remaining guilt. Looking at the last interaction between Reiji and Yuko it makes me feel like they're saying goodbye I love you in their own way. Funny how outwardly their last interaction seems so vitriolic but from my interpretation its very touching and nice.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That was the ending of vol18, the volume just isn't added to MangaDex yet which is why the last few chapters are listet as No Volume. Sadly no copium can spare us from this being the ending.
god damn it

Read this when Black Cat picked it (admittedly dropped it when it jumped the shark), just wanted to thank the translators for all their work.

Users who are viewing this thread