Class de 2 Banme ni Kawaii Onna no Ko to Tomodachi ni Natta - Vol. 3 Ch. 16 - What I Want

Fed-Kun's army
Longer than you'd think. The confessions will come soon, but certain issues will prevent them from actually dating until a certain event occurs and they realize their smaller issues don't matter so much anymore.
Now I'm curious. What happens? Does someone die or something?

Supporter
Now I'm curious. What happens? Does someone die or something?
Maki's failure to properly deal with his familial abandonment issues cause a meltdown when invited to dinner with the entire (and, more importantly, fully intact) Asanagi family. After he spends the night being held by Umi, they both realize that they each love and need each other too much to continue maintaining an artificial distance.

Dex-chan lover
I get the impression some of the early posters in this thread didn't grasp what the situation is (and has been) between Umi and Yuu. Yuu likes Umi (as a friend) a lot, and would do anything for her. Unfortunately, Yuu has a +900 charisma stat, and Umi... doesn't. Their mutual friends (including boys Umi has been interested in) tend to get bored of Umi and start trying to do things only with Yuu, leaving Umi out. It's happened over and over again over the last few years. Essentially, Yuu has (unintentionally and through no fault of her own, other than failing to notice it happening) stolen everything Umi has ever cared about. Umi, throughout this releationship with Maki, has been afraid for Maki and Yuu to meet, because she feels like Yuu will steal him, too. Umi does value her friendship with Yuu, and she knows that it's the other people around them doing it, and not Yuu herself, but she still resents Yuu because of that. This is what led to her keeping her relationship with Maki a secret to begin with.

Yuu trying to force the two of them together in this chapter blew me away. Based on the previous couple chapters I was convinced that she was actually falling for Maki as well (which had us well on the road to repeating what Umi feared most, if Maki reciprocated). If Yuu really did fall for him, I can't believe she'd back off like this, at least not so quickly. There's some degree of "I value my relationship with Umi more than I want a new boyfriend" I suppose. But maybe her doing this in this chapter will make her realize what she's throwing away. And personally, I hope Maki sticks with Umi regardless.

Dex-chan lover
Yuu wins this one. She didn't understand it before, gave it some serious thinking, and came up with the right answer.

So Yuu will remain friends with the two snakes
I think she felt that Umi tried to do something similar by abandoning Maki for her, which is one reason she got mad at them. But she's also got a big enough heart to forgive those two friends, assuming they're honest and repentant about it.

And it's not like I can't understand them either, even if I think they deserve some kind of karmic punishment. They've got a friend, but all the time she's always talking about this other friend, and not about them. Which is kind of what they're doing as well with Yuu, but that's how things are. People often don't notice that kind of unintentional hypocrisy. They're not exactly good, but not outright malicious either. They're more in the grey zone that this manga seems to handle rather well. Probably.

No way, the girl is the dense one now? Oh my gah
That's not exactly rare. Most of the time both are dense. Although most of the time the guy gets the blame, because he's the one supposed to confess.

Did Yuu just unexpectantly turn into a wingman? Let's gooooooooo.
I think that was always her place, rather than as some triangular interference.

How far until they are dating
This is not even their first date. But officially... Might be a little while. Though they're sorting things out, so I'm okay with it taking a bit of time.

I don't remember having friends being this hard.
Me.

Umi almost confessed the night Yuu busted in at Maki's and wrecked the mood. She ain't dense, she's just playing slightly dumb based on place and time. But, then, so is he.
I find that they're less dense and more working things out. They've got a few issues to deal with.

Supporter
I get the impression some of the early posters in this thread didn't grasp what the situation is (and has been) between Umi and Yuu. Yuu likes Umi (as a friend) a lot, and would do anything for her. Unfortunately, Yuu has a +900 charisma stat, and Umi... doesn't. Their mutual friends (including boys Umi has been interested in) tend to get bored of Umi and start trying to do things only with Yuu, leaving Umi out. It's happened over and over again over the last few years. Essentially, Yuu has (unintentionally and through no fault of her own, other than failing to notice it happening) stolen everything Umi has ever cared about. Umi, throughout this releationship with Maki, has been afraid for Maki and Yuu to meet, because she feels like Yuu will steal him, too. Umi does value her friendship with Yuu, and she knows that it's the other people around them doing it, and not Yuu herself, but she still resents Yuu because of that. This is what led to her keeping her relationship with Maki a secret to begin with.

Yuu trying to force the two of them together in this chapter blew me away. Based on the previous couple chapters I was convinced that she was actually falling for Maki as well (which had us well on the road to repeating what Umi feared most, if Maki reciprocated). If Yuu really did fall for him, I can't believe she'd back off like this, at least not so quickly. There's some degree of "I value my relationship with Umi more than I want a new boyfriend" I suppose. But maybe her doing this in this chapter will make her realize what she's throwing away. And personally, I hope Maki sticks with Umi regardless.
One quibble (and it's an important one, though moreso in the WN than the LN and we'll see how it plays out here): Umi has never before been interested in a boy, whether as a friend or something more. She even sat on her interest in Maki for nearly half a year before working up the courage to approach him.

Supporter
I think that was always her place, rather than as some triangular interference.
I would advise you to note how quickly and eagerly she exchanges (forces, really) her contact info with Maki the first time they actually talk and how desperate she is to clear up the disagreement with him at the game center (to say nothing of her emotional state when she confronts Maki at his place when she realizes he's "hiding" Umi there).

Consciously, she's chosen to act as wingwoman. Unconsciously...?

Dex-chan lover
I would advise you to note how quickly and eagerly she exchanges (forces, really) her contact info with Maki the first time they actually talk and how desperate she is to clear up the disagreement with him at the game center
I would advice you to look into the much stronger bond she has with Umi, like how she even followed her to another school, as well as her very extroverted personality.

(to say nothing of her emotional state when she confronts Maki at his place when she realizes he's "hiding" Umi there).
Because Umi's been making excuses not to meet up with her, and instead secretly met up with him? You know, similar to how the other two friends made excuses to Umi and then went to meet up with Yuu?

Consciously, she's chosen to act as wingwoman. Unconsciously...?
I was talking primarily story-wise, not character-wise. However, there's no indication that she has particularly strong feelings for him. She's impulsive and straight-forward enough that a relative lack of action is rather telling.

Supporter
I would advice you to look into the much stronger bond she has with Umi, like how she even followed her to another school, as well as her very extroverted personality.

Because Umi's been making excuses not to meet up with her, and instead secretly met up with him? You know, similar to how the other two friends made excuses to Umi and then went to meet up with Yuu?

I was talking primarily story-wise, not character-wise. However, there's no indication that she has particularly strong feelings for him. She's impulsive and straight-forward enough that a relative lack of action is rather telling.
I would strongly advise clicking the NU link on the title's main page and reading the final chapter dropped last fall before the WN went on hiatus. Many of the things assumed here are directly addressed there by Yuu.

Group Leader
Hey, looking for JP TL to pick this up with me, message me on Discord (@lunartique07). Closed

Last edited:
I think what's really nice is that Yuu picked up on the part of their relationship that neither of them had admitted yet, and thusly forced their hands. It's just so good.

Contributor
They're having some proper communication as soon as the chapter begins. And the healing continues. Best of all Yuu gets her "revenge" for being left out by the two of them, setting up both Umi and Maki for the festival.

With handholding! :lewd:

I'd have liked to see Yuu's reaction if the next time she saw those two they're already dating because she gave them the last push they needed (lol no, not yet).

So Yuu still meets with the two fake friends, but I wonder if she'll give them a piece of her mind after learning of their betrayal of Umi. That sounds like her kind of thing to do, but I'm not sure we'll see more from that.

I hope Umi and Maki don't actually end their special Friday sessions. Or maybe replace it with something similar... like weekly dates on Fridays

Users who are viewing this thread