Description Cleanup

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
There are lots of things in descriptions that should not be in descriptions. They're currently being used as a dumping ground for links, which is not the intended purpose.

image.png
image.png

FIXED VERSION
image.png

• Author/artist links should be moved to the author pages.
  • Any links to official releases should be moved to the appropriate language description - please do not copy and paste a pile of several language links into every language description. The Japanese description should not have links to French, Spanish and Arabic translations, but I keep seeing this.
  • Links to alternative official releases can be left in the description for now, and should be moved to the Links section when the link rework is complete and multiple Official links (per language) are possible.
  • Wikipedia links and other entirely non-manga related websites should be removed.
The non-English descriptions will be used when the frontend gets proper localisation support, and will be prominently visible instead of being hidden away as they are now.

Last edited:
Staff
Super Moderator
  • Duplicate description links that were already added to the link section. Don't.
  • new lines between description links and notes. Don't.
  • extraneous text not added under **Notes:** and **Links:**. Please, so it's kept organized and so staff can search descriptions for those indicators when they release the link rework.
  • description links with localized language names "Official <language/locale> Translation". Don't.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
If the English description has a link to the official X language translation in the description, but there is no existing description for X language, what is the proper solution?

Do we create a new description for X language containing nothing but the link to that language's official translation? Or do we just delete the link from the English description and leave it at that?

Staff
Super Moderator
Do we create a new description for X language containing nothing but the link to that language's official translation? Or do we just delete the link from the English description and leave it at that?
I've been putting this off and continued to add everything to the en description for months now with the execuse of "link rework soon" and "no localization" :fml:
My main concern is visibility when the link rework is added. I definitely don't have the motivation to click through multiple descriptions instead of having everything in one.

Contributor
Wikipedia links and other entirely non-manga related websites should be removed.

Will there be a external link input for non-manga like existing NovelUpdates link?

Any links to official releases should be moved to the appropriate language description - please do not copy and paste a pile of several language links into every language description. The Japanese description should not have links to French, Spanish and Arabic translations, but I keep seeing this.

I don't think this will helpful for multi language user. Let say, a user speaks English, Indonesian, and Malay, and they buying manga official release of these languages.
Limiting release to single language will decrease visibility of release another release that user might want to see.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Will there be a external link input for non-manga like existing NovelUpdates link?

I don't think this will helpful for multi language user. Let say, a user speaks English, Indonesian, and Malay, and they buying manga official release of these languages.
Limiting release to single language will decrease visibility of release another release that user might want to see.
If you have suggestions for whitelisting URLs for some kind of "original work" link I'm happy to hear it. As it stands, NU is the odd one out and I'm not entirely sure why we added it in the first place as it's not strictly manga-related.

The idea is that you'd be able to pick the languages you want to see the links for, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Power Uploader
How about the various awarded / nominated for bullets in the descriptions?

My initial thoughts is that if it won an award it should stay in the description since it supports the "award winning" tag, but that the "nominated for" lines should be removed, as they don't really mean much. Though I don't want to change anything until a determination is made.

Users who are viewing this thread