Dosanko Gal wa Namaramenkoi - Ch. 111

Supporter
How is this tagged as a Harem ? Magadex getting more and more lazy with its tags
Some folks have an incredibly loose definition of what should get the tag. Characters having various levels of interest in one another without actively pursuing that interest (the structure of the first third of the series) shouldn't be enough, and neither should characters actually pursuing other characters one at a time (the middle third); at the very least, it should require multiple characters actively pursuing the same character or one character actively pursuing more than one other character simultaneously (which we never saw here). But we got that locked in here anyway.

Dex-chan lover
while you're all out here arguing the definition of "harem"

G9u4DMh.png

Dex-chan lover
There were 3 love interests, 2 of which he had to turn down fairly recently before he started dating the FMC. That qualifies as much as most "harem romcoms"
If THIS is labeled a harem here, it proves my point; there aren't even 3 girls who were competing, let alone recently. Otherwise every romance manga with a love-triangle could be called a harem now.

But fine:
- Rena (white short hair) only appears in the first 20 chapters with romantic implications towards the MC. After that, she fades into the background almost forgotten by the author. Even when it seems she'll have her own arc, it's too late as the MC is already in a relationship with Minami, the FMC. Rena then transforms into the 'cheerleader' trope, showing no signs of aiming for the MC, which is crucial for a harem manga.

-Sayuri (black hair) was dumped since chapter 88 and also relegated to the 'cheerleader' trope. While initially a promising harem member in the first to mid chapters (around 50-60 max), she became more of a handicapped rival in a romcom setting, far from fitting the harem mold. Even her fan-wiki acknowledges this: "Once Sayuri got rejected, she fully supports Minami in her pursuit, knowing both Minami and Tsubasa love each other." It's a bruh moment.

-Minami (FMC) had everything handed to her, with the MC being in love with her since chapter 1. he never shows real interest in dating anyone else or loving, except for a brief moment of guilt/jealousy regarding Sayuri potentially having a boyfriend, which was before he rejected her.

Seven girls (7!) in total and this is what we get? While Minami is undeniably adorable and lovable, so are the others. It might be a nothing burger for those solely interested in the MC x FMC dynamic but this was marketed as a harem from the start. I expected it to at least explore that route, but it dropped halfway through the story and switched gears.

So my point stands its good romance, but has nothing to do with Harem, or at leasts its one of the worst Harems i ever saw as this would be bait-and-switch.

unfilteredjw

this is for you too.​

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Some folks have an incredibly loose definition of what should get the tag. Characters having various levels of interest in one another without actively pursuing that interest (the structure of the first third of the series) shouldn't be enough, and neither should characters actually pursuing other characters one at a time (the middle third); at the very least, it should require multiple characters actively pursuing the same character or one character actively pursuing more than one other character simultaneously (which we never saw here). But we got that locked in here anyway.
I agree. Thats why I said the mods on Magadex seem either getting lazier or just don't understand the definitions anymore. It's frustrating. Like when Juujika no Rokunin got a Harem tag just because one panel in one chapter hinted at three girls liking the MC, without any pursuit or competition. That's not what the genre is about in that manga at all lol.

Similarly here, although it's a softer romcom it's still mislabeled. I don't understand why it's so hard in 2024 to tag things correctly. It's not like Harem is as popular as it was in the 2010s; Romance does just fine on its own. Except when you add NTR, of course. cough The Day I Decided to Make My Cheeky Gyaru Sister Understand in My Own Way cough

Dex-chan lover
If THIS is labeled a harem here, it proves my point; there aren't even 3 girls who were competing, let alone recently. Otherwise every romance manga with a love-triangle could be called a harem now.

But fine:
- Rena (white short hair) only appears in the first 20 chapters with romantic implications towards the MC. After that, she fades into the background almost forgotten by the author. Even when it seems she'll have her own arc, it's too late as the MC is already in a relationship with Minami, the FMC. Rena then transforms into the 'cheerleader' trope, showing no signs of aiming for the MC, which is crucial for a harem manga.

-Sayuri (black hair) was dumped since chapter 88 and also relegated to the 'cheerleader' trope. While initially a promising harem member in the first to mid chapters (around 50-60 max), she became more of a handicapped rival in a romcom setting, far from fitting the harem mold. Even her fan-wiki acknowledges this: "Once Sayuri got rejected, she fully supports Minami in her pursuit, knowing both Minami and Tsubasa love each other." It's a bruh moment.

-Minami (FMC) had everything handed to her, with the MC being in love with her since chapter 1. he never shows real interest in dating anyone else or loving, except for a brief moment of guilt/jealousy regarding Sayuri potentially having a boyfriend, which was before he rejected her.

Seven girls (7!) in total and this is what we get? While Minami is undeniably adorable and lovable, so are the others. It might be a nothing burger for those solely interested in the MC x FMC dynamic but this was marketed as a harem from the start. I expected it to at least explore that route, but it dropped halfway through the story and switched gears.

So my point stands its good romance, but has nothing to do with Harem, or at leasts its one of the worst Harems i ever saw as this would be bait-and-switch.

unfilteredjw

this is for you too.​

Admits there is legitimate harem content. Wonders why the tag was applied.

:question:

If we were still in the middle of, say, chapter 60, there would be zero controversy that the harem tag is appropriate. Then why remove it just because the story has moved on? MD tags are not meant to be removed once they're earned, so that readers have an understanding of what content is present in a work, not necessarily what the majority of its content is.

At the end of the day, this work was written as (and hell, marketed heavily as) and contains a substantial amount of harem material. Just because the harem aspect was poorly written and ultimately dropped doesn't negate the appropriateness of the tag. We'd never see an isekai story again if that were the case.

So yeah, not really seeing why this is even an issue. There are far better edge cases to be argued elsewhere.

Dex-chan lover
Admits there is legitimate harem content. Wonders why the tag was applied.

:question:

If we were still in the middle of, say, chapter 60, there would be zero controversy that the harem tag is appropriate. Then why remove it just because the story has moved on? MD tags are not meant to be removed once they're earned, so that readers have an understanding of what content is present in a work, not necessarily what the majority of its content is.

At the end of the day, this work was written as (and hell, marketed heavily as) and contains a substantial amount of harem material. Just because the harem aspect was poorly written and ultimately dropped doesn't negate the appropriateness of the tag. We'd never see an isekai story again if that were the case.

So yeah, not really seeing why this is even an issue. There are far better edge cases to be argued elsewhere.
"Admits there is legitimate harem content. Wonders why the tag was applied." while I said litterly this: "If THIS is labeled a harem here, it proves my point; there aren't even 3 girls who were competing, let alone recently. Otherwise every romance manga with a love-triangle could be called a harem now."

It appears that there's inconsistency in how tags are applied here since people dont know the difference. Lust Geass for example was harem but had its tag removed because of NTR. Similarly Kanan-sama wa Akumade Choroi only recently received its Harem tag despite having typical harem tropes for quite some time, since ch 31 while the tl is 86/87 now. On the other hand, manga like Juujika no Rokunin, which revolves around darker themes like murder, rape and smut, somehow ends up with a Harem tag despite not fitting the genre or scenes at all - see my previous post.

So obviously people like me who are looking for a Harem manga find it odd that it still showed and marketed as one despite 70% or more of its story has nothing to do with it.

Dex-chan lover

But fine:

unfilteredjw

this is for you too.​

Lots of words to tell me you don't have a fucking clue what a word means.

Fed-Kun's army
Imagine if one of them gets killed off now.

Weirdly emphasizing the traffic light and him not paying attention to traffic at all while crossing the crosswalk at the end of the chapter feels so ominous lmao.

Dex-chan lover
Sure buddy, the Guy who reads almost Harem exclusively for about two decades has no clue about it but the dude who cant come with a single argument does. L moment.
Appeal to authority over fucking harem manga. Actual clown shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread