Hope You're Happy, Lemon - Ch. 11

Double-page supporter
There are a million different things the author could have done to just not having their relationship work in the past, and yet he picked something that would make the heroine of his work instantly unlikable.

Yes, it was an absurd mistake by Lemon. This is a fact and this is the first plot of the story. Without that and without Sunao's trauma, there would be no story. People fail and they can correct themselves in the future, it's like I said, I have good expectations for the story and I think it's funny how it's unfolding so far. I'm also hoping for a chapter to cover Lemon's past better (I think there was maybe the 3rd or 4th one that talked a little about it, how Lemon is friends with everyone at college, how she changed her attitude a little over time and how in the end she just wanted to talk to Sunao about both).

The point here is Sunao too. Honestly - and of course, this is a personal opinion - I think he's "selfish", in the sense that he talks more than he listens (him shouting insulting Lemon while wishing on the shooting star, the conversations with Suzuka and the "Plan to enjoy the Kogahara dating") demonstrate this well. Given that much of current culture still does not educate men well to better understand feelings (in fact, people as a whole), it ends up resulting in someone similar in attitudes to Sunao.

Stories like this are just for playing to understand feelings. If in the end Lemon and Sunao are going to be together and understand each other, great. If it's with Kogahara and Sunao, cool. If Suzuka finds love, whether with Lemon or Kogahara, that's cool too.

Of course, given that it's a romantic comedy, the extra options would be the definitive body swap + the characters falling in love with each other or their friends, if everyone stays single or does polyamory, well, you know... we create expectations and we're betting as far as the story goes.

Dex-chan lover
Yo glasses bro is cool I hope he gets his love at the end (whether it with Lemon or other girl).

Dex-chan lover
im all for the sunao and lemon ship. the history with the lie when they dated plus the body swapping now in college means they've shared too many memories and life events (good and bad, obviously) that it would feel like a major cop-out if they ended up with other people. my only thing is that they've spent so many chapters trying to deal with the swapping and then the pageant that we havent gotten enough time with them alone together. and now this 4 person trip? i just want one chapter where its just the two of them soon.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not gonna lie I like how the author resolved it but at the same time hate how he's trying to make fmc likeable when there's no real explanation that could explain why she would say what she did.

Also what happened to the second girl?

Double-page supporter
A lie like that is a decision to be awful to someone you love. It's her being an awful person. Youth does not excuse everything.
Somehow not having the intelligence to know how cruel that was, and to think it would just be something that he would forget, that in itself is reason enough for anyone to stay far away from her.
There are a million different things the author could have done to just not having their relationship work in the past, and yet he picked something that would make the heroine of his work instantly unlikable.
Except you're saying that from a position of maturity. Youth is an excuse for a lot of things. That doesn't mean you don't end up having to face down those things later on in life, but still. There's a good damn reason that we almost universally as a species forget just how stupid we were when we were younger. You can wax "intelligence" all you want. Intelligence is not what brings an understanding of social and emotional factors in relationships. Experience is. Experience that the youth woefully lack by nature. And that's just the practical side of it, completely ignoring the other reality that we don't actually know shit about what happened between them back then.

What are you going to do, for example, if it turns out that Lemon was manipulated by someone else? That she was misled into believing that her actions wouldn't have the degree of damage that they would? Or maybe he was being cold and distant and her actions were a desperate last ditch effort to get him to engage with her because she didn't understand why he was being that way?

Baseline, Children genuinely do not know better, because they have no reason to know better. Especially about such heavy handed topics like emotional trauma, and ESPECIALLY between the two genders who even in adulthood when we ARE fully matured and have that experience still often fundamentally fail to properly communicate. Add in external factors to that kind of lack of proper understanding and all sorts of things can, and frequently do, go wrong.
Now, that isn't to in any way shape or form claim Lemon is blameless, or that she'll 100% be vindicated at some point (Though to be frank, she probably will. Any writer worth their salt willing to have a character with baggage like what Lemon supposedly did will have some card hidden in their sleeve to make them more agreeable and sympathetic later on).

But the continual defaulting to condemning of her is daft. The people continuing to insist on condemning her outright are ignoring the kind of person we're getting to see her actually be in favor of allowing her to be a hate magnet for them entirely because of one supposed event we do not even actually understand because it hasn't been shown yet, which has also only ever been relayed by an extraordinarily overly emotional narrator who could just as easily be misremembering the details because of mental suppression to cope with the hurt of the rejection.

Or, in layman's terms: the Lemon that we have come to know since this story began is a loving and cheerful person who only seems to ever want the best for everyone in her life. You're COMPLETELY ignoring that objective reality and continuing to decry her as "an awful person" because of ONE testimony against her from someone who, in every single facet of his life that we've seen, is completely unreliable when it comes to anything emotionally heavy. Don't be so quick to judge without the full picture.

Double-page supporter
All TophatKiyaki post is excellent

(...)

Or, in layman's terms: the Lemon that we have come to know since this story began is a loving and cheerful person who only seems to ever want the best for everyone in her life. You're COMPLETELY ignoring that objective reality and continuing to decry her as "an awful person" because of ONE testimony against her from someone who, in every single facet of his life that we've seen, is completely unreliable when it comes to anything emotionally heavy. Don't be so quick to judge without the full picture.

That's exactly why I've been enjoying "Hope You're you Happy". Because I hope that Sunao, like many of us who got the first few chapters wrong, needs to correct our view of Lemon.

The a priori story is seen from Sunao's mentality. Both his prejudice/trauma and his views on relationships are kind of exposed with each chapter and we see more of how Sunao copes than Lemon and the others.

We still have little about Lemon, but in this you (Tophat) explained it better than me: Lemon acted immaturely, we just don't know why yet (and maybe we won't even know, sometimes they can allege "feminine secrets" and become a joke punchline ). As I also said, we have some tips (Lemon knows she made a mistake, she admits it). Every time she tries to correct she ends up making a few wrong steps, but Sunao doesn't leave much room for correction either - demanding something that "he thinks is right", this makes Lemon afraid of exposing herself.

And now with two more new characters in the game (Natsumi and Suzuka), and at least one move made (Suzuka knows about the exchanges, Kugohara not yet), at least we know that there won't be an accidental "BoyLove".

Anyway, mistakes for mistakes, now we are about to see the 4 in a new "trap". And I hope for a good laugh from this :).

When the story ends, we'll see how everyone dealt with their feelings - including us, the readers :D

Dex-chan lover
it says on the mangaplus website "The latest 6 chapters are viewable in this title. Please be aware that the 6th latest chapter will be hidden when a new chapter is added."
So every new chapter means another one will be hidden
I know how to read. That's why I asked if anyone has the archives

Users who are viewing this thread