How do i learn to draw/sketch!!!!!!!

Double-page supporter
Let's assume you're cheapskate and skip obvious "get the f'ckn' art courses" thing.

* Pencil, eraser and paper. You will need a lot of this :)
* Buy (read "download") essential books like Figure Drawing: Design and Invention and/or The Art of Animal Drawing. Very good for basic things.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.
* Buy (read "download") essential books like Anatomy for the Artist and/or An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists. With this you will learn how to draw human body without major fuck-ups. Strength Training Anatomy isn't drawing book but very good for understanding how human body works.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.
* If you are planning for more than lineart and sketches then books like Color and Light will help.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.
* Practice a lot.

Edit: at later stages of your learning curve some extra books are good but not essential :) Similar books in japanese also exists :D

Edit2: bolded titles are not the only books available. There's a lot of other books :)

Step 1: pick a center point.
Step 2: mark out a basic frame for what you want to draw.
Step 3: try and look for things that will help you put things in the right place, ie the niples line up with your ears

Double-page supporter
pick up a pen.

go into your anime pics gallery, then start tracing/reproducing it as close as you can.

repeat until you get better. at some point you will have an idea of something to draw and feel compelled to do it.
that's essentially how I started doing it.
my motivation for drawing was essentially to just be able to copy an illustration I like and mod/fix it to suit my preferences.

also, you're def gonna have some really bad stuff and feel bad about it your art for a year. just tought it out.
also its a good idea to have alot of refs whenever drawing something, preferably all the while listening to music (preferably a randomly generated playlist)

Users who are viewing this thread