I Sold My Life for 10,000 Yen per Year.

Group Leader
good read but the side characters felt empty

the big reveal in the end didn't feel impactful at all, kind of disappointing. probably because of the surrounding character's reactions to it, they just kind of left them alone right after she was revealed.

It's a double-suicide play. Very Japanese.

Altogether I think it's about as good as manga usually can aspire to be. Even if it turns somewhat predictably
(as soon as I saw that a girl was his observer I knew the ending)
, I nevertheless was held in some suspense. For example,
despite K being told outright that meeting H would be a bad idea, once they met I could easily maintain the belief that they would be able to reconnect, at least a little.
I thought the ending twists a little silly and overweeningly saccharine (
especially the bit where it turns out he really was super special as an artist — for being plain of all things! — contradicts the early-on cynical thoughts saying that only fools think that they're the exceptions to depressing statistics
), but it's a very cute manga and I enjoyed it.

I contributed to its score and gave it a 10/10. I properly think that it's a 9, 'a well thought and composed manga that most will enjoy', rather than a 10, 'this is a classic that will be read over and over', but that standard's a little too high compared to how most people score.

An absolute treat to read, this concept has been done to death but for a 16 chapter manga this is so well excecuted it deserves a 9/10 heck 10/10 if I'm optimistic.

Maybe I relate to the mc to a certain degree (except for the part of having a cute childhood friend ;_;

As a shounen it doesn't delve into deep psychological issues and get too pretentious so it's pretty easy to recommend this to anyone with an attention span.

I AM CRYING,
Despite the banal setting of the realization at end-of-the-life plot, the ,manga is very well executed and adapted, much more so when you consider the fact that it was adapted from a novel.
The heavy and gray initial setting was reflected very well throughout character internal thoughts and actions, in turns transcends the ending even more with their changes... 10/10 piece to me.

I gave this a 9.9 on MangaUpdates. It's well-written and combines a depressive story with a bitter-sweet ending.
It's close enough to a masterpiece to count as one, yet there is something that keeps me from giving it the full 10 stars, not that I could name it. Maybe it's a bit too long, a bit too drawn out, short as it is.
But if you wanted me to name a specific example of something that could have been done better, I would say that would be the extra chapter at the end. Instead of adding it on as an extra chapter, I would have liked to have it immersed in the story itself, as it kind of gets in the way of the feels of the end.
My suggestion to you: Read the 16 chapters, then take a short break.
Once you've had time to digest the story, but before you entirely lose the sensations of reading it, come back and read the 16.5 extra. It's a good chapter, but it's also slightly disruptive where it currently is.

At the end of it all, only AFTER you have finished your read, check out the covers. They tell a little story of their own and will help you get back into the mood anytime, if you wish.

Dex-chan lover
This is the type of manga people should read more. wonderful story with great characters, great pace and it actually has an ending. 10/10

The only thing I don't like about this story is how the girl got into the job simply by being a daughter of the former employee, that's bought some lifespawn but couldn't pay it off since the deal doesn't include safety for the life spawn you've purchased.
I think the concept is a little bit off and too unfair for the clients who sell and the employees.
Also this whole BS thing about inheriting someone's debt bugs me a whole lot, since how can you be responsible for someone's deeds whose actions you don't have control over. I mean how come a debt can be more than the worth of evevrything else you inherit? I guess it's that infamous Japanese sense of honor that bullshits people into believing that.
That reminds me of 47 ronins film I once watched, where in the end the ronins had to commit seppuku in order to regain the honor of being their master's samurais, which was stupid as hell from my standpoint, since they only revenged for their master who had been betrayed by the shougun and his men.
Basically a lot of people died cuz the Japanese sense of honor was too subjective.
But that's just a tangent

everything about this manga was just so moving. it hits so close to home with how he feels and what he goes through, but it's just so inspiring how that small ray of hope that kept him living turned out to be real and gave him true happiness, even for a short while. It was just so beautiful i'm 🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

Users who are viewing this thread