Ihoujin, Dungeon ni Moguru - Vol. 2 Ch. 6 - Desire for Power

Dex-chan lover
@Greenfrost Dunno if it's been mentioned before, since I can't remember either, but it's probably something like "otherworlder"; wouldn't surprise me if others have come over before and wondered, a little too persistently, just how sensitive those Elven ears are.

Group Leader
@Greenfrost @Vincentius Wasn't it just their word for "Human being" ? Like we also saw it with the instructor.

EDIT: BRUUUUUH i just saw there was a coloured page in the raws Oo

Dex-chan lover
Okay I used to be on the side that getting rid of his guns wasn't a super horrible idea...but I had thought this guy was at least in good shape. How did they send someone who can't swing a sword to this world...and how did he drag the human ball around...and if he really was that bad physically why did he ever consider getting rid of the guns? Like did he have any training other than how to shoot a gun? I thought we were dealing with a proper soldier here.

Lan

Dex-chan lover
HOW HEAVY DO THESE PEOPLE THINK SWORDS ARE?! THEY'RE LIKE 2.5 - 3.5 pounds! And bows take a lot of strength to use!

Dex-chan lover
@Lan yeah now that you point that out, bows require way more strenght than swords and other melee weapons.

Bad author, if he wanted the mc to have a bow he should have made a point that he is not trained with melee weapons and that he would be more comfortable with bows and like or something.

Dex-chan lover
@WillLi If you just want to swing the sword, anyone can do that. If you want to use a sword, that's a different beast altogether. It takes entirely different muscles to wield a sword properly than it does to use a rifle, bayonet, or knife; the stances are also entirely different (though you could boil it down into a "high" stance (jodan no kamae/vom tag), "middle" stance (chudan no kamae/pflug), and "low" stance (gedan/waki no kamae/alber/nebenhut) if you really had to) and differ depending on if you're using a two-handed sword, one-handed sword, or a sword & shield. Using a sword also differs subtly on what type of sword you're using. A katana uses more of a full arm swinging motion, often likened to swinging a fishing pole, while a longsword uses a push-pull of the hands for leverage. Then there's swords like the jian, that uses the snapping of the wrist, or the talwar, which is theorized to use short, close to the body slashes with the elbow at 90 degrees.

Bows are, honestly, even worse, as they require years of practice to develop the back muscles needed to regularly and repeatedly draw a proper fighting bow, to say nothing of the instinctive aim necessary for reliable use. He should really be going for a spear or a glaive: they're dead simple to use (just poke 'em with the pointy end, but from 6ft away, with the glaive having added wide sweeps for proper cleaving and crowd control), can be used in long range or in short (just choke up on the haft and tada, you have a short spear), and are just as deadly, if not more so, than the sword. The sword just gets all the love because its convenience (you can wear it on your belt all day without it interfering with your hands, unlike a spear) made it the iconic "hero" weapon, so everyone defaults to swords, even though they were, at best, a secondary weapon.

@Lan
I honestly thought it might be a class restriction of some sort. MC was struggling to wind the crossbow too and we haven't seen him actually pull back the bow.
Edit:nvm just re read it. Wow that is pretty dumb. But at least we haven't seen him draw the bow so maybe he's just as miserable doing that as he is with lifting the sword.

Also cat girl a cute

Users who are viewing this thread