Isekai Kenkokuki - Ch. 64

Dex-chan lover
It doesn't really matter what Almus is saying, those kings need to obey the laws of realpolitik. Naturally the same goes for Almus as well, but with the difference of Almus being able to relax a bit more after recently winning a war without major losses. One interesting thing to note is that those kings both immediately surmised that since Almus is young, he will want to get something big done during the decades of kingship he might have left, barring fatal illnesses, accidents, and such.

Dex-chan lover
…aand they immediately assume Almus is up to something bad. Bet that at least one of them’s gonna die or lose in a moderately near future

imo it's fair to overthink situation a bit and prepare for them, even Almus don't expect them to forever remain an ally either and mainly want them to not be an issue right now

What I'm surprised about is that neither king acknowledged the fact that Almus was proven to be blessed by Gryphon Dad.

even if true neither of the kings are trying to curry favor with Almus so there's no need for heavy pleasantries.
these conversations are more of 'we cool?' 'we cool' while both side internally calculating how long they've got until things ain't cool.

Dex-chan lover
Truth be told, I don't really fault the two kings for their wariness regarding Almus (at least not yet). For starters, in their world where it's literally "might makes right", Almus' kingdom is in a better position then theirs in terms of military, economical, and technology progress which is shown as they won two wars (repelled one invader while significantly destroying the other), and quelled a rebellion in less than a week's time, all the which caused no noticeable lasting damages to the kingdom's standing. So just like that, Almus' kingdom is already looking like it's either going to become the most powerful and/or prosperous kingdom in due time.

Then there's Almus himself, the newly established king who participated in each of these major events and a driving force to the Kingdom's prosperous success. For those who know Almus, he's considered a great guy, extremely trustworthy, as well as someone who'll help people in need and won't hurt others unless it's necessary (usually self-defense).

However for those who don't know him very well, or only know rumors regarding him, he probably seems like a very ambitious person. For starters, he's (as far as outsiders are aware of) apparently the son of the mythical gryphon, which already suggests that he's not a normal person. Then he got mixed up in the kingdom's conflicts and in one battle he personally slew the commander of the enemy forces. Afterwards, despite already being married, he challenged the fiancée of the Kingdom's princess and bested him in order to take her hand in marriage. Now whether it was for love, lust, or desire for power, I doubt many of them know, however what is known is that this opened Almus' path to the throne and allowed him the right to rule. Not long after that, he ended the rebellion, in which the enemy's commander (the princess's former fiancée) died horribly and mysteriously.

So yeah, from an outsider's perspective, you have a kingdom that was filled with internal strife; calm said strife, pick itself up, boost it's economical and military power immensely, all in less than two decades. And then the new king who while seemingly peaceful and kind is also willing to engage in conflict and war in order to obtain something if he desires it enough. As such, assuming that's the image they have of Almus, then it's understandable that they're wary of him as well as willing to bolster their military since they can't guarantee that Almus won't just invade them. It's only when they start instigating Almus and/or make preparations to invade Almus' kingdom that their actions become less understandable and more foolish, assuming that Almus hadn't made a move against their kingdom to even warrant such action.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
With how few people are traveling with him I keep thinking he is searching for the Holy Grail.

I'm also going for his sudden death for a radical change in the story.

I really don't get why everyone is saying he is ambitious though. His personality at least seems very weak. Even bowing down to other kings.

Dex-chan lover
one factor we cannot forget here is the ability of the king, whereas the more he's recognized as a strong leader, the more, in actuality, he becomes. and since almus has a much bigger kingdom, trying to focus more on internal matters for the forseeable future, he might just become stronger, while the neighbouring countries try to amass some military. but almus is not the only clever guy in his party, he has plenty of people with the wits and abilities to strengthen his domain, whether it's in their form of magic, or their (infra)structural advancements.

there's also one huge country to the east of rosice we see on Page 17 which could prove beneficial to form ties with. as such i think our mc has plenty of good cards to play, while these 2 small countries should try to be as sneaky as they can be if they want to try anything.

Dex-chan lover
What I'm surprised about is that neither king acknowledged the fact that Almus was proven to be blessed by Gryphon Dad.
I’m sure if they recognized that he’s the Gryphon’s son with none other than the “blessing of king” they would even be more agitated. Now it’s beyond “he’s ambitious” but “he’s destined for great things at the cost of ours.”

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
With how few people are traveling with him I keep thinking he is searching for the Holy Grail.

I'm also going for his sudden death for a radical change in the story.

I really don't get why everyone is saying he is ambitious though. His personality at least seems very weak. Even bowing down to other kings.
Almus went from a commoner orphan literally raised in the middle of a forest to king of a major nation, winning two wars and a civil war by personally being on the front lines, making foreign alliances and jumpstarting his nation’s economy and tech level, introducing new military technologies and tactics, in the span of ten years or so.

Unless you can read his mind to actually know what he’s thinking, or you’ve been with him for years to get to know him without his guard up, wouldn’t it make sense to think he’s ambitious, and any humbleness he shows is part of a calculated move to see how you react? And it also makes sense that he would want peace, for now, since as stated, Rosice is just coming out of 3 different wars in quick succession, and Almus would want to focus on domestic affairs to make sure he’s ready before future expansion.

Dex-chan lover
Switching wives between visits. Seems fair.

Heavy torso armour, but he has to show off his abs. That's important.

Honestly, I kind of wonder if they were planning to invade, or planning to defend against a potential invasion, since new rulers often have the ambition to expand, or feel the need to prove they're better than the previous ruler, and take more land for that reason.

That doesn't look like overkill to me. It's a bit unusual to have hoardings only on the sides, though, and there are no crenellations on top.

Wasn't Lezado the country south of Kirishia? So there's no border between Lezado and Ebil? And Ebil and Bervedil swapped places in the two maps in this chapter (page 4 and 17). Geography in this manga has been rather inconsistent, or the translation is bad.

Neither of those two kings look particularly trustworthy. Although it's more that they don't trust him, probably.

One interesting thing to note is that those kings both immediately surmised that since Almus is young, he will want to get something big done during the decades of kingship he might have left, barring fatal illnesses, accidents, and such.
That's common. People, especially people with ambition, like to leave their mark in history. While we know him and what he wants, they don't, so they kind of have to prepare for the worst, just in case.

Truth be told, I don't really fault the two kings for their weariness regarding Almus (at least not yet).
Me neither. They are looking out for their own kingdoms. Question is if their ambition is bigger than that, and whether they're going to act on it.

Dex-chan lover
A king that shows no ambition is more dangerous than a king that openly show their ambition.
Although I'm 100% cheering for MC, these kings are right to immediately strengten their nation's military and seek out allies among each other after meeting Almus. They know that he's using that time of peace to iron out the remaining issues within, which will result in his country getting stronger. To sit on their laurels during a time of peace, is just asking to be taken over. (I really wanted to make a "why don't you mail me the bullet!?" joke. But that game sucks no matter how much I loved that line.)

Users who are viewing this thread