Isekai Tensei Soudouki - Ch. 49 - The Suffering Secretaries

Dex-chan lover
@Talith Yea, that is common knowledge. But it did failed none the less because in the end of the day it was just static defences that could not compete with mobile warfare (please omit command failures that actually lead to that crushing defeat, I am just making a point here 😃). And guess what: cavalry have trouble with normal fortifications as well, but it sure as hell good at flanking. That is why field fortifications were built, well, in the field. And you can cover non-handicapped infantry just as well as infantry trapped in the holes in the ground. Heck, just spikes in a moat could do just as well, but without wasting manpower.
@Northern Exactly. They had lots of resources, yet they did not even thought of surrouunding whole country with fortifications.

Just wait till MC starts rolling out repeating crossbows, and the first line of muskets. He was researching into black powder a few chapters ago.

Aggregator gang
The change of mood was hilarious. Knowing this exact kind of people in real life makes the joke so much better.

@kwendy I won't think mobile warfare is a thing if balud has not much manpower for that though. And for defending only, I think trenches may suffice. So I think Balud planned to not pursuing any enemy and just defending.

I wonder if Balud will trade with other Haurelia territories though, because by building trenches he should not planning to do that. Also, how's trench will fare against China's moat filler? I think they made something to place planks to cover moats and pitfall (I think I read this in the sequel of Ryuurouden)

While randos complain about 'guns', when I'd be developing hot air balloons with pedal assisted propellers and explosives with impact triggers. Death from above.

Dex-chan lover
@RC21 The thing about enemy is that he is not always so accomodating so that he won't flank your entrenchment and attempt to encircle you. Sure, trenches are obstacles, but it's frankly waste of effort because any other fortification would've worked better. As I said above: just couple of spikes in a moat would suffice. Or the simplest of all - dirt wall. Done.
It's more of a matter of how it's presented that is an issue. Sasuga Ainz-sama so to speak.

Dex-chan lover
I think it's interesting Balud went to implement trench warfare instead of palisade fortifications. This definitely has to be the teenager's suggestion with the warlord's approval.

While both trenches and walls both stop movement the same, trenches have that advantage in which they are less susceptible to siege and artillery. This world already has artillery in the form of magic. I think the in-world innovation here which makes the trenches really effective would be the barbed wire, which is probably only possible with Balud's resources.

@kwendy
> dirt wall
This world has magic and iirc, explosives

Dex-chan lover
@jonsmth That doesn't stop anyone from hand-to-hand combat. In fact, it yet to affect the worldbuilding at all.

@kwendy Well, for flanking, I thought the reason of barbed wire is to prevent flanking? Isn't it also positioned on the side of the trenches? I wonder about the south border (I think it's river there) but the north border is hard for cavalry use because it's mountains. Trench has one advantage than moat, and that's because the trench is connected underground, they can move from behind to the front without being seen clearly by the enemy.

I have no good argument against dirt wall though, as I don't know how strong and what use magic in this world is. So far I only saw Lightning magic and Body Strengthening magic here.

By the way, Vienna uses both walls and moat when defending against Ottomans. They also used trenches in the moat.
Another thing to point out is spike pallisades, that when destroyed by cannonball scatter the wooden pieces that hurts the skin (Though of course, we have fire magic here, i think)

And I forgot about tunneling, how does it works?

Dex-chan lover
@RC21 Flanking as in merely posing a threat of going around your enemy. You know, before shock cavalry introduction, the main strategic advantage of using one. Underground reinforcement is not that great of an Idea I think because there is not enough stopping power to prevent enemy from... Well, doing anything really. In the first place, ambushes aside (and it's not exactly ambush if enemy knows there are your fortifications) battle preparations could take hours in open view of each other, so you have all time in the world to get your forces where you want them to be. And as for ambushes, you have batter chances hiding some cavalry in hills and forests around rather then restricting yourself to single fighting area.
Regarding weaponary and magic level. Another thing that ircs me is that in many isekai stories locals are stupid. They made so because author needs to make main character (or just Japan) look smart and author can't write character smarter them himself. As opposed to many misconceptions, people throughout the ages are not stupid and constantly making improvements in their trade. So people of that world should alredy be using the most of the resources and knowledge they have access to ensure their survival, so some brat from the future should not be able to improve that much in a field that lifes depend on. Warfare evolved rapidly answering the call of every new threat, getting something from the future would be as if putting anti-tank guns before actual introduction of mechanised forces (hello, Youjo Senki anime).
Introducing shock cavalty agains roman legions would pose a problem of lack of quality metal production, husbandry and sustainability. Introducing modern quick responce teams into WW2 would pose a problem of communication, ground coverage and strategic value. But by their own rights they fit in their respective era as perfect as possible.
Some isekaijin trying to teach locals how to build fortifications is aking to saying if you poke your enemy with a spear he might die. Genious?

Tunneling? Isn't it like it sounds? It is not that popular where I live, so probably have lots to do with climate zone and landscape. If you have natural caves and you don't live in a swapm - lucky you?

Dex-chan lover
@lenovoaxioo if they want to be in the harem, they have to be able to make that face, the closer it gets to his mother's smile the higher up the hierarchy they will be.

Warning rant here.
First the use of barbed wire is stupid, simply because it would be stupidly expensive to make enough barbed wire, without industrial age technology. Second trenches are stupid here, because for the same effort he could be a fortified position with mud and wood walls, maybe a moat with some wood pikes smeared with poop at the bottom (a common Japanese tactic).
Honestly, the author looks like he is just badly implementing WWI tactics without considering WHY those tactics were used in the first place, without even looking at tactics that were used in the times they write about.
Honestly it is a shame because the Japanese had a different kind of tactics that would catch these people off guard because it would be unknown to them.

@kwendy Reminds me of another Isekai i read, were the MC was they first one to thing of using Earth Magic to make fortifications, even thought fortifications exist. Like really??? You have a means to move Earth and change the terrain and you don't think to use it to make some fortifications??? Morons.

@22Ryu Yeah, that was why I dropped Wortenia Senki. Making everybody else stupid so the main character can seem knowledgeable and innovative always irks me.

Dex-chan lover
@22Ryu depends on the story, Tanaka (Tanaka the Wizard) learns to build hotels and hotsprings using Earth Wall magic, in the wn, but it was never done before because aside from requiring enormous amounts of magic, it also eventually disentigrates back into magic...besides only someone like Tanaka or an Elder Dragon could create something other than a bare wall with that spell.

heads up zircos speach bubble on page 9 top right box is wrong, well the order of the words is wrong the words themselves are good.

Fed-Kun's army
@botodopo it works it catches and digs into gaps .worst case scenario it cuts a belt or rips off plate .but if your wearing chain mail it would be faster to just walk around it lest you just sora get stuck there and commit I live here now.

But most people of that time would be wearing leather armor metal armor was expensive thus normally only for nobles knights or some other form of elite unit

Users who are viewing this thread