Isekai Walking - Vol. 6 Ch. 52 - A New City

Dex-chan lover
You have a point, but I think they're just happy that it's something different for once. After all, people seems to have grown tired of seeing an isekai MC buying/getting a slave.
Yeah it is pretty played out. But man of them are just also mad at the concept of slavery so treating it as a moral victory, missing the nuances of it, the word and label isn't the evil thing, its the treatment that came with it. Without that its a very different thing. Just because it uses the word doesn't make it the same, and many series treat it very differently. At this point we have vilified the word over the actions, black companies that work employees till they drop dead are by all rights a evolution of slavery, but simply by distancing themselves from the word they avoid much of the backlash they would get. Yet well treated "slaves" in series generate hate despite in no way being treated like slaves. Its comically stupid and misplaced anger.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah it is pretty played out. But man of them are just also mad at the concept of slavery so treating it as a moral victory, missing the nuances of it, the word and label isn't the evil thing, its the treatment that came with it. Without that its a very different thing. Just because it uses the word doesn't make it the same, and many series treat it very differently. At this point we have vilified the word over the actions, black companies that work employees till they drop dead are by all rights a evolution of slavery, but simply by distancing themselves from the word they avoid much of the backlash they would get. Yet well treated "slaves" in series generate hate despite in no way being treated like slaves. Its comically stupid and misplaced anger.
So slavery is good if you treat your slaves well /s

I think what people find morally abhorrent about slavery is the dehumanisation/objectification of an intelligent being, and not the fact that slaves are treated bad or good ...

Dex-chan lover
MC had me scared for a second there when he suddenly said he went to visit the slave trader, I completely forgot that he was going to look for the two girls and just assumed it was that point of the isekai again

Dex-chan lover
I am glad to see a sensible MC who know his strength enough to not jump into unnecessary dangerous situation.

Dex-chan lover
He still wears his heart on his sleeve! From talking to the merchant to even worse with the slave trader! You don't have to like the people that can lead you to your important goal, you don't even have to compromise! Could have pretend to be interested, asked more questions since those guys definitely know others in the same "business"! He learned nothing, and in case this dude finds out something about those girls, he definitely would not inform the mc!

Dex-chan lover
“Stay behind and cheer us on”

Bitch. Who are you talking to like that?

And the slave trader bouncing his ass out.

Nothing but disrespect to the MC

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

I am quite surprised that this MC did not get a slave out of 'goodwill' like a lot of isekai stories out there. I am pretty sure he would buy one off if ever if it is Chris and Rurika's missing friends but good that the author did not try to create a cliche plot point of buying a new companion just to make something happen.

Dex-chan lover
Outside of a few cases where the protagonist is legitimately screwed up in the head and emotionally detached (eg Shield Hero), the vast majority of isakai protags have no excuse for why they would ever be able to stomach owning a slave. It's just an excuse for them to be a savior figure for whatever waifu the author wants to give them.
Most isekai protags are able to stomach owning slaves because most own 'slaves in name only.' It's not that hard to understand.

Dex-chan lover
Its kind of funny to me how many are cheering at him for not buying a slave and mentioning how morally disgusting it is, but have failed to realize that the thing that makes it morally disgusting is how they are treated. Many of the MCs don't treat them as slaves but as a companion and a person, far closer to a modern employee than as a slave. On top of that him not buying one doesn't free them, they will just be bought by someone else. And if bought but someone from that world they are far more likely to be treated as actual slaves. A argument can be made of not supporting a industry, but one less buyer will not make any difference, if he talked to other and did anything to shift common morals that would be a difference. But short of starting a revolution they won't help any of the slaves, but at least by buy one and treating them well you have saved them from most likely a far worse fate.
While I agree with the overall concept that judging things with nuance is better than making generalizations, I do think there are some things inherent to slavery most people can dislike. The big one is that the slave cannot choose to leave or do something else. It's similar to how people view capitalism as superior to feudalism because capitalism allows social mobility, even though workers under capitalism work longer hours and have worse conditions than the average under feudalism (Judith Schor, MIT). Individuals can make a value determination on whether they'd trade social mobility for fewer hours worked.

As this is an isekai, the external values of their alternative to slavery must be considered. We don't have a lot of knowledge other than the slave sellers seem shady. For instance we haven't seen a horrifying war that rounded up their war slaves. The Isekai version of Debt, War, and Criminal Slaves is closer to Roman Slavery than American Commodity slavery. Roman Slavery was awful; debt slaves and war slaves didn't deserve their fates, and some crimes didn't deserve the sentence of slavery. It makes me inclined to think that overall, isekai Slavery is still evil.

The further question is what can the MC do. Not buying slaves is a kind of minor boycott, it passes a purity test but doesn't effect any changes. Similarly buying a few slaves and treating them well is a minor boon to a few individuals without broader improvements. He could kill the slaver and free a bunch of slaves, or start killing multiple slavers. Or he could get OP and destroy the entire society and build a communist utopia (When are we going to get Chairman Mao Isekai?).

Moral discussion of slavery aside there's a different judgment to be made about the story. Isekai Slave harems are a huge cliché that borders on rape fetish, and at least this MC didn't instantly do that.

Dex-chan lover
What?! An isekai'r who doesn't want to buy a slave unless it's the people Chris and Rurika are looking for?!

Though watch him buy a slave later that just happens to know the people Chris and Rurika are looking for and where they are lol

Dex-chan lover
Good grief... The fact that people are trying to make pro slavery arguments for indentured help/ sex slaves..

Look, I know it's tempting to have a 'committed' girl-friend that can't give away any of your secrets, and can fight for you in the dungeon. But just because that society says it's okay, doesn't mean that it has to be okay for you.

Users who are viewing this thread