Isekai Walking - Vol. 6 Ch. 52 - A New City

Dex-chan lover
I was nearly shocked (positively) when the MC just walked away without buying a slave.
Finally an isekai character that behaves like a decent human being from our world.

It might have helped that the slave trader actually talked about his slaves as "goods" rather than sentient beings.
Too often, authors present a "humane" form of slavery so it doesn't seem cruel and degrading... which gives their MC a way to pretend that they're not participating in slavery as we know it... while making it actually worse than real-world slavery due to magical means of enforcing obedience. (e.g. mind control, automatic torture on disobedient acts, death curse...)

This manga deserves a bonus point if just for this chapter alone.

Dex-chan lover
Who in their right mind would build a fortress wall around a wheat field????
Someone preparing for a siege? If you can make it work you might be able to stay alive longer then your enemy can handle, either they run out of supplies or allies rescue you.

Dex-chan lover
Someone preparing for a siege? If you can make it work you might be able to stay alive longer then your enemy can handle, either they run out of supplies or allies rescue you.
The main risk for a besieged party is to run out of food. So it does make sense in a way.
However, this also stretches your line of defense. It's not all upsides.
Also, growing food takes months. If you're besieged that long and no help comes by then, you might have other problems.

To me, it makes more sense as a defense against stray monsters than an actual siege.

Dex-chan lover
It is kind of refreshing honestly. Seeing a Japanese MC happy about cheese and eating it, rather than going on and on about the superiority of white rice making even the most flavorful dish look bland by comparison.
You are right about that, I guess I shouldn't complain. It certainly is better than rice or soy sauce talk.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm glad to see Sora having the proper amount of disdain for slavers in this story. Related note: I'm still upset by that one post that talked about slave-owning isekai MCs and casually mentioned the protagonist from Seirei Gensouki. He was traveling, got attacked by a young slave girl, freed her, told her to go be free (and to leave him alone), she ended up following him because she had nowhere to go, and they slowly developed a wholesome little sister/big brother bond over their travels.

Dex-chan lover
Finally, an mc who doesn't just buy slaves
The paradigm is broken? Bro really walked right out on the slave trope.

Thanks for the upload.
I was so worried when the Slaver offered him other slaves, very glad to see a main character with normal morals.
Finally THE CYCLE IS BROKEN!!!!
9YG9J78.jpeg

Dex-chan lover
You have a point, but I think they're just happy that it's something different for once. After all, people seems to have grown tired of seeing an isekai MC buying/getting a slave.
You would think so, but they aren't mad about it being a trope when an MC actually does buy a slave, they're mad that the MC bought a slave at all. Many of them would probably be singing the same praises and throwing all the same hate if the trope was to not buy the slaves when they're offered.

Last edited:
Group Leader
Who in their right mind would build a fortress wall around a wheat field????
i saw stuff about siege and all, but just protecting food chain from roaming monsters is enough an explanation.
protection from a siege is non-existant since walls are too long and too far from center to be well protected from siege weapons...

Dex-chan lover
The main risk for a besieged party is to run out of food. So it does make sense in a way.
However, this also stretches your line of defense. It's not all upsides.
Also, growing food takes months. If you're besieged that long and no help comes by then, you might have other problems.

To me, it makes more sense as a defense against stray monsters than an actual siege.
Growing crops takes months, but sieges can last for years. Just like most, you're underestimating how long sieges took. A siege isn't gathering a army outside the castle to destroy the walls and storm the keep, it's locking down the supply lines and applying constant pressure until the defenders are forced to surrender or die of starvation. If a castle has their farms inside the walls and doesn't need to rely on imported food then there is no way to starve them out.
Putting the farms inside the walls also creates a buffer zone, any attacks launched from outside the outer wall will just land in the fields where they'll do little to no damage instead of crashing down on someone's house. And even with no defenders on that outer wall the wall will still serve to restrict the advance of invaders unless they devote the time and effort to bring down the wall and fill the mote

Dex-chan lover
Growing crops takes months, but sieges can last for years. Just like most, you're underestimating how long sieges took. A siege isn't gathering a army outside the castle to destroy the walls and storm the keep, it's locking down the supply lines and applying constant pressure until the defenders are forced to surrender or die of starvation. If a castle has their farms inside the walls and doesn't need to rely on imported food then there is no way to starve them out.
Putting the farms inside the walls also creates a buffer zone, any attacks launched from outside the outer wall will just land in the fields where they'll do little to no damage instead of crashing down on someone's house. And even with no defenders on that outer wall the wall will still serve to restrict the advance of invaders unless they devote the time and effort to bring down the wall and fill the mote
Crops need water, even if the city has an underground water supply, it's distribution to crops, people and what is usually the priority, putting out fires.
Storage of slow spoiling goods is a reasonable way to prepare for siege.

Dex-chan lover
So slavery is good if you treat your slaves well /s

I think what people find morally abhorrent about slavery is the dehumanisation/objectification of an intelligent being, and not the fact that slaves are treated bad or good ...
Would you condemn those who bought slaves to set them free? How they are treated does matter and make a difference, a MC buying them then treating them not as slaves but as party member is giving them back their humanity, its not full freedom, but its dam close. Its not good, but its better than the alternative they would face.

Dex-chan lover
its not full freedom, but its dam close. Its not good, but its better than the alternative they would face.
Lesser of two evils, that kind of things.

Obviously, it's better if the slave is treated humanely, but that is still not freedom by a long shot.

Your owner will treat you humanely? That sounds good, but what if you don't like them back? What if they give you orders you object to? You don't have much of a choice then. If you don't obey, said owner might change their mind and either return you or treat you... less humanely. This is not a relationship as equal, no matter how positive a light you shine on this.

And that's not even factoring sexual activities in the equation. At which stage, it crosses another level of evil.

More importantly, as long as you're a slave, your owner might change for many reasons. Death of the owner, confiscation as a compensation for debts, etc. As long as you're property, you're very far from freedom and just a step away from abuse. At best, you're safe from harm for a while.

Oh, going a little meta, your owner is a manga protagonist? Better hope it's the right genre... and it sticks to it.

This is all about as close to freedom as walking on the very edge of a cliff is close to safety.

Users who are viewing this thread