Kajiya de Hajimeru Isekai Slow Life - Ch. 23

Dex-chan lover
Man all the girls in this series are so cute. Though wasn't Helen's nickname Lightning Blade? I can understand how the translation might get construed to Quick Thunder but personally I think Lightning Blade sounds cooler.
My friend, go re-read this chapter, because you apparently missed the entire conversation in the chapter they had about her nickname.

Dex-chan lover
It's surprising we're only now getting to the katana wanking. Every steel weapon is tempered with a flexible core and hardened edge.

Dex-chan lover
Man all the girls in this series are so cute. Though wasn't Helen's nickname Lightning Blade? I can understand how the translation might get construed to Quick Thunder but personally I think Lightning Blade sounds cooler.
they did explain her nickname got upgraded into Quick Thunder, probably to make her sound even faster

Dex-chan lover
I figured someone would have commented on how "compliment" is being used incorrectly in this chapter, by now.

Basically, the usage of "compliment" during the meal should be replaced by "flattery," no?

The whole dialogue becomes mind-boggling unless we assume that.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what they'd say about that man entering...

Swallow first, talk second.

That's a roughly accurate description of what HEMA people usually think about a katana.

In most sword combat, there's no real finishing strike. Any strike that's not a feint is meant to finish the fight.

Yeah, that's very short. But that doesn't look like a little longer than a wakizashi. It looks like a short or average at most wakizashi.

To my knowledge Japanese swordsmithing isn't about covering soft steel with hard steel, but by accomplishing that with differential hardening, where the surface hardens more than the core. It's also does bend; spring steel is what doesn't bend (but it flexes more). There are benefits and drawbacks to both.

Any scanlation that keeps updates before the next raw chapter is released is what I consider up to date.

Which is funny because it was folded exactly because it wasn't superior, and several cultures, like the Norse, folded their steel even more. And you only need like 13-14 folds to get 10000 layers.
most of the northernmost areas of the world have pretty shitty and impure local iron and yes that includes Japan. Folding never increased the strength of steel, it removed impurities allowing finer control over the hardness of the steel but if you fold it too many times you will actually weaken the steel. Viking weapons are deliberately made from softer steel to make repairs easier. Differential hardening is actually what makes a katana's curve and at the same time it also make it so that if the katana bends it needs to be reforged cause even if you bend it back the bending destroyed it's integrity and reforging is the only way to properly fix it unless you want the katana snapping at the worst possible moment. With a viking sword they bend it back into place and retemper it and it's fixed in a day, while reforging a bent katana can take weeks or months. What I like about medieval crucible forging is that it's way easier to get the exact hardness of steel you want and completely eliminates the need for folding the steel. Medieval blast furnaces are also way superior when it comes to smelting vs a bloomery (which is what the japanese used) cause they could easily mass-produce insane amounts of high-carbon steel and cast iron. It's also faster cause blast furnaces introduced large amounts of carbon into the metal allowing smiths to skip several steps without sacrificing quality.

Dex-chan lover
I felt a sense of deja vu for some reason. Felt like I've read this chapter just few days ago. :nyoron:

Dex-chan lover
What's with the watetmarks directly over the panels? It's annoying. Ruins the art. If you gotta do it put it on the side not on-top of panels. And why even watermark this in the first place? If you're worried about aggregators stealing your pirated content, they'll rip it from your website where you upload to first and delay the mangadex upload by a week. So just dont watermark the mangadex upload.

Dex-chan lover
I'm just starting to think that... all these nice waifu characters, and nothing will happen in the end.

As in, he won't end up with anyone even after the end of the story or something. That's what it feels like, no romance or children or anything.

I really hope I'm wrong.... I don't care about ecchi but give me romance please....

Dex-chan lover
To my knowledge Japanese swordsmithing isn't about covering soft steel with hard steel, but by accomplishing that with differential hardening, where the surface hardens more than the core. It's also does bend; spring steel is what doesn't bend (but it flexes more). There are benefits and drawbacks to both.
There were actually several techniques.
Also, it seems to me that people missing the point of what makes japanese sword so good. You see, the problem all the swordsmiths faced since the invention of steel weapons is its duality. The hard steel is too brittle, if you made sword from it, it would certainly remain sharp, but it will most likely break on impact. The soft steel is, well, soft. Sword made from such steel will loose its edge pretty quickly, on the other hand soft steel is more flexible.
Now, most swordsmiths simply accepted a compromise; they forged swords from medium steel. The sword from such steel is not too brittle, so it doesn't break easily, but it's also not too soft so it retains its edge, for some time.
The japanese ones adopted a entirely different approach; they invented a method of forging which combines above mentioned types of steel into one sword. Ie. the japanese sword has edge of hard steel, while at the same time it has a 'spine' of soft steel.

That's what makes japanese sword 'superior', because their technique of making is 'superior'... at least compared to rather simplistic method used elsewhere.

Also, unless our guy has 'some' idea how the katanas were made, he is going to fail.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!
Geez, I thought we were overdue for our required Japanese sword chapter...
I'll accept it as long as we don't get the "Superior Nippon Steel - folded 10000x" bit.
Also, everyone's here for Samia or Nylda, while I'm sitting over here wanting to pet Krull... :headpat:
I mean they aren't really doing that here. He just seems happy to see something familiar to him/from his world more then anything so it's perfectly fine

Dex-chan lover
Funny how he says "let's begin" right as the chapter ends.

...I wonder how often that sort of thing happens in comparison to the opposite (starting the thing at the start of the chapter), or their counterparts (ending a thing at the start/end of the chapter)... :pepehmm:

Aggregator gang
It just occurs to me that his wish had been to 'live a slow life with cats and making things'

Well, I guess he got all of his wishes come true.

He is surrounded by a lot of pussy :V

Aggregator gang
So... didn't he say he doesn't want his weapons used for like things needless killing and wars and stuff? So why is he arming 2 groups that apparently fight (seemingly to the death usually) on sight?? Like it seems like if humans run into demons it's usually "kill on sight" and same for demons to humans, so... won't arming both with God tier weapons probably start a war ?

Users who are viewing this thread