Kanojo ni Naru Hi

Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
A bit of last-minute unneeded shoujo drama near the very end, but otherwise a very enjoyable read.

Contributor
I think one of the best parts here is the realistic depiction of what this scenario would cause to happen irl. The fact the character getting genderbent doesn't change personality at all and is the same person who gradually have a shift in emotions is pretty tight stuff for a manga. The fact they show the romance as something that transcends the genders of both of them is really great and unexpected. Comparing this to something like boku girl really shows how differently the topic can be handled, especially how they handled the person who changes gender. Tl;dr this is pretty good

How does the romance transcend the gender barrier here? To me it seems pretty heterosexual - for Mamiya i would think that with switching to female genetics, female brain, female body structure, female hormonal system and well, female everything, it would be reasonable to expect that change in sexual orientation would follow (but she's not the narrator here, so there's very little insight about how that happens internally). And as far as Miyoshi case goes, at the end of the day he's still in love with a woman (sure, his perspective shift about former friend turned crush turned lover, and conflicting emotions associated with it are pretty interesting, but they're not things that are handled in-depth by the author*). Leads wouldn't end up as a couple without the mcguffin fixed sex ratio magic (nothing wrong with that, just addressing the point).

I really liked it - it's sweet, it's heartwarming, it implies some nice things about attraction (while still staying true to it's evolutionary origin and being bounded by biology basis), but all things considered it's pretty ordinary shoujo (interesting premise and last minute sci-fi weirdness notwithstanding - though admittedly, that first thing is what sparked my curiosity and compelled me to start reading it). As a side note that i didn't know when to throw in, the art is really nice.

*in fact, as far as i remember, nothing is - everything seems just nibbled upon: societal ostracism of the emerged, familial abandonment issues, change in personal dynamics between people that have to come to terms with new forms of their friends, and probably other things that i'd forgot about already.

jak

Contributor
I really wish it had shown Mamiya's terrible mother again so she could ripe into her.

Double-page supporter
Chapter 6 makes it seem like Mamiya would cheat on Miyoshi, is the drama tag there for the mom's return?

Dex-chan lover
Ah, good ol' handholding wholesome warm manga. Love this series. Even if it has wicked amount of same face syndrome.

I see Im not the only one that was disappointing that there wasnt a part where the mother came back so she could get deep fried.

Just wanted to drop in and say im not normally one to read genderswap, but this is overall just an amazing romance manga. And if you on the fence because of the genderswap read asap!

Like previous commentators have stated, this is one of the best genderswap mangas that leaves a happy afterthought. My only complaint was that Nao's mother doesn't show up, thus that issue is never resolved, otherwise, I loved it.

9.5/10 - wish it was a chapter longer, and the mother issue was solved.

Dex-chan lover
Cute, fluffy stuff that actually makes you think about gender roles and identities.
Hell, if you're trans, this might be a painful thing to read, especially if you want kids. I mean, we can't help it. We're humans. Animals.
Reproduction is built into our cravings.

Contributor
This starts as, at best, a standard-but-decent contemplation of the nature of gender and love...

...and then somehow goes on to be one of the most mature and complete depictions of the progression of a couple's life I've ever seen in manga. One chapter at a time.

Like, you know how sometimes a romance drama has that epilogue chapter, where probably overall the mood is warm and fluffy (maybe a tinge nostalgic depending), and the author kind of mulls over how things would go in the next stage of the characters' lives, maybe showcases small little interactions they might have that explore how things are and have turned out for them? It's as if about 80% of this manga is that, and it just keeps going, and it turns out great.

Users who are viewing this thread