Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - Ch. 169 - Yukari's Valentine

Dex-chan lover
I didn't realize before, but the droopy eyed kid looks a lot like Chi's crush in the future. Potential Mom, maybe?
I really love this fan theory of yours! It really makes sense in a lot of ways.
Though, it might not be accurate when I look back at some chapters like Bride, Sneeze, and Happiness.
It seems that they just are still old friends and not many hints towards that being true

Don't get me wrong, I really love the idea and will be more than happy if this does actually turns out to be true later on!

Dex-chan lover
to think the dumbest one will be the first one to married still surprise me to this day.
This chapter is big on that theme. Yukari is too invested in fantasy and not reality. This is a problem many young people face, especially when they attempt to use things like manga and anime to fill the voids.

Yukari’s ambitious standards and desire to wait are made worse for her by the fact that boys seek girls who are fun, loving, and patient. Yukari is not fun, she loves in very niche ways, and is impatient. Takagi always felt off, and it’s not just the forehead. She’s just not a real human being.

Mira, as opposed to Yukari, is simple-minded. (I wouldn’t necessarily call her dumb, though I think the manga is exaggerated that side too much). Easy to make her happy, very loyal and heartfelt. In Moto, we see that she is a tradwife with many kids and a bubbly-yet-firm personality.

I see these parallels WAYYYY too much in life, especially when I moved to the city and got a taste of all these different lifestyles and couples in my young adult years (which I am still in).

I never loved this Mangaka’s works, but as someone who overanalyzes things and likes subtleties like this way too much, I read this one and Moto.

Dex-chan lover
Who the fuck are these?

Did Yamamoto(author) really waste the valentine's chap on side characters that I assume have not appeared in a while?
These three have their own entire spin-off manga and are arguably his most interesting characters a lot of the time, since he tends to enjoy giving the side-characters all the character development he stole from the main ones.

Dex-chan lover
These three have their own entire spin-off manga and are arguably his most interesting characters a lot of the time, since he tends to enjoy giving the side-characters all the character development he stole from the main ones.
Guess the spin-off didn't get as much readers since he had to cram this side story in what could have been a valentine's chap about the main characters of the main story.

Though to be fair not much would have happened had it been the main couple anyway...

VIP
I really love this fan theory of yours! It really makes sense in a lot of ways.
Though, it might not be accurate when I look back at some chapters like Bride, Sneeze, and Happiness.
It seems that they just are still old friends and not many hints towards that being true

Don't get me wrong, I really love the idea and will be more than happy if this does actually turns out to be true later on!
IIRC, she has one sided crush to glasses girl (yes, it was implied she was lesbian, or at least bi). we don't know yet if she actually moving on or not after the glasses girl get married.

Dex-chan lover
Elaborate on this
I might be overstepping the bounds of my experience in life, or being too harsh in my words, but her personality seems..... unhuman. Just monotones, teasing, and laughter. Very little character, weaknesses, or parallels to the real world.

Even though this 2D universe can be whatever it wants, I can always draw parallels between character archetypes in manga and real people I've met (this is actually a big reason I comment on Mangadex to begin with, to share real instances in life where the real world is actually pretty trope-like). I've even had a junior from college give me Nagatoro-style treatment (she had no feelings for me or anything. She was just a bit nuts around guys)

The only big exception from romcoms I've seen is Takagi. I've never met a lady so... unmovable. Not to laughter, not to tears, not to speech, not to anything. She's like a robot with call-response teasing. Not sure how else to word it.

Dex-chan lover
I might be overstepping the bounds of my experience in life, or being too harsh in my words, but her personality seems..... unhuman. Just monotones, teasing, and laughter. Very little character, weaknesses, or parallels to the real world.

Even though this 2D universe can be whatever it wants, I can always draw parallels between character archetypes in manga and real people I've met (this is actually a big reason I comment on Mangadex to begin with, to share real instances in life where the real world is actually pretty trope-like). I've even had a junior from college give me Nagatoro-style treatment (she had no feelings for me or anything. She was just a bit nuts around guys)

The only big exception from romcoms I've seen is Takagi. I've never met a lady so... unmovable. Not to laughter, not to tears, not to speech, not to anything. She's like a robot with call-response teasing. Not sure how else to word it.
While you could definitely make the argument that Tagaki's level of teasing is unrealistic that also gets a pass for being the gimmick of the manga. As for Takagi herself she's shown emotion plenty of times. Nishikata has moved her to geniune laughter on many occasions(Most notably off the top of my head when she was bummed out and he realized something was wrong because she was leaving him alone), she's been embarassed a few times(Swimsuit picking out chapters, among others), she's been bummed out or disappointed a few times.

While I understand your opinion, I think it's built off the fact that about 95% of this manga is seen from Nishi's viewpoint, and the boy is a stone cold idiot, so to his view, she probably does seem that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread