Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja

it will be fun when it does isn't it @Snowfennec altho the genderswap/genderbender theme dont get pass around much since shounen, josei and recently isekai dominated the majority of picks.
Sadly Nidome no Jinsei got cancel cause of "certain problem" xd but that was sometime ago.

Group Leader
Deer A wrote an in-depth explanation of why he translated the protagonist's name as "Dumbulf Gandadore," which can be read on our blog:

https://mobofdeer.wordpress.com/2019/07/27/kenja-manga-1/

I can respect that translator's decision, but I can't agree on his reasoning. It's a portmanteau of two names:

Dumbledore: ダンブルドア
Gandalf: ガンダルフ
Mira's name: ダンブルフ ガンダドア

See, the ル from the bolded parts merged together and the remaining part of the names combine perfectly into ガンダドア.
In actual fact, there is no reason a Japanese will write the name as ダンバルフ because there is no バ anywhere on the original two names.
Unfortunately in English the name play doesn't really make sense this way, unless you write it as Dumblf or something.
Though I do think Dumbalf is the better choice here, because you are translating into English,
and just as it's not really right to use バ for the Japanese, it's not really right to use "u" in English either.

@erneiz If you look at the raws for chapter 2, it actually is romanized as "Danblf", which I think we can all agree is the worst timeline :)

Double-page supporter
why do i feel something is wrong weren't we at the part with the black knight in the dungeon?

Fed-Kun's army
Can anyone lmk if this manga actually has a good reason for the genderswap (or body swap I guess) and if it goes too over the top with the genderbender comedy? It’s not ecchi, so that’s a good start. I’m personally not into the comedy part, but if not for comedy, I sorta prefer a good story explanation as it’s not exactly my fav genre. That said, I have read a few REALLY excellent ones before, so I always try to ask.

Group Leader
@Wreavant No, there is no good reason for the genderswap. There's almost no GB comedy. Or like, what I would consider as GB comedy. The story explanation is sufficient, I wouldn't say it's terrible unlike some manga which just throw you into the mix without explaining anything

Please keep up the great for this manga, i love the series so much. No joke i have read this manga many times now waiting for the next chapter to release and i want more. Please give me more to read, Mira is amazing gender bender woman, she is worthy waifu for my harem. ^~^

Mira has become one of my favorite characters in such a short time that I even bought a dakimakura of her lol. This series needs to be updated more! Love it so much!

Users who are viewing this thread