Kimi wa Yakamashi Tojite yo Kuchi wo! - Vol. 2 Ch. 18.5

Honestly thats a dick move and the fact that she's disabled makes it worse
While it is, indeed, a pretty rude move, it is just sibling behavior. However, I think it is ruder to take more pity on her for being deaf; the same thing could have happened even if she was not (i.e. she was in another room, and the mom did not bother double checking both opinions).

I have a disability myself and have had it exploited for fun and such, but I do not take it to heart. I, myself, take every opportunity to exploit it back onto them. Disabilities are not just something to pity and give special treatment for. Of course, there are some cases where there are obvious differences that cannot be overlooked, but overall, it is more respectful to treat the person like everyone else where possible. Disabilities are just another human trait that some people have, and pitying is often dehumanizing more than anything.

I am aware that some people take offense to being picked on or exploited (playfully or not), which is what communication is for. If Tsukino truly was appalled by such behavior from her sister, I am sure she would have clearly conveyed it to her, and Seina would've stopped.

Personally, I would be pretty sad if my sister could not poke fun at me like she does in order to be "considerate" because that special treatment would make me feel alienated. Somehow, purposefully avoiding being offensive shines more light on a disability (not the good light) than if it was treated like any other trait, which makes me feel more uncomfortable than anything else. I would not want my disability to be treated like it does not exist because, in essence, it would be like if I did not exist.

Apologies for the rant, but that is just my take on it from the perspective of someone with a disability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread