Kouchuugun Shikan Boukensha ni Naru - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - Magic

Fed-Kun's army
Just stick with convention and call it mana. That's what everyone literally everyone calls it, in every manga. You don't have to try and be specially by calling Cilantro, "coriander". Or biscuits, "cookies". Or chips, "fries" or vice versa just because you want to be special.

Fed-Kun's army
They just misspelled "magical" and called it a day. I love that kind of dumb shit.

Double-page supporter
I wish JP authors read some of Brandon Sanderson's stuff.
If they combine just a bit of effort into thinking of magical systems...dang, every isekai or fantasy-type manga would be a bomb.
Still, this one's a bit better than the rest. Sci Fi part is a bit confusing and offhand-ish , fantasy part is pretty standard isekai but somehow the melding of both is OK.
That is, if I don't pay much attention to the magical and sci fi terms the author is using.

-----
Lel, isn't star wars basically a combination of sci fi and fantasy?

Dex-chan lover
They just misspelled "magical" and called it a day. I love that kind of dumb shit.
I feel like that was probably short for magic particle or something along those lines.

Dude is like "Huh, what's that? Oh, Magic exists? Well in that case I'm a wizard. Boom, check out my mad talent."

Dex-chan lover
"Magic?"
Yes. Magic...
"You mean invisible grenades?"
Also, explosion magic.. seems like Megumin thought this world well.

Dex-chan lover
I quite dislike him learning magic, and learning super quickly at that. Obvious path to making him overpowered.

Dex-chan lover
The start was really promising, but I really dislike how they tackled magic. It was a perfect opportunity for him to struggle with something and not have it all be done for him automatically by the nanobots.
Or make him totally unable to use it.

that spirit analogy really reminds me of the "book of the new sun" series, where technology is rebranded as magic, and many primitives use their own creative mythos to describe the cold metal or the ancient era(like ships computers or weapons etc)

Love this series. I like how the author properly explains everything instead of going away with "it's a magic" bull sh*t. This makes the setting feel more real and easily to grasp the the core concept of this world. Also, I love how Cleria dresses like a proper lady knights/princess and not like slut like in the other Isekais. Seriously looking forward for the update. Thank for introduce us this gem.
EXACTLY IT PISSES ME OFF WHEN SERIES NEVER EXPLAIN ANYTHING. like shit:zero literally just asspulls rivivals and some how gets magic? same with konosuba, and some other generic isekai series. yet people only nitpick sci fi, they never nitpick dogshit generic isekai.
meanwhile series like magical index or mahouka, have advanced magic systems that are intricately explained. so the argument that fantasy can be handwaved is stupid as shit.

I guess the argument is that if you show any bit of writer competency people will expect more from you,
like like "give them an inch and they'll take it a mile" etc even though I use metric.
bad writers like the garbage leveling series, could just write the most generic garbage braindead fantasy and no one bats and eye, since everyone just expects garbage. their expectations had been lowered

@Hell_Satan,

I never said it had to just be his rifle, I said tech in general, that means everything ambiguously included under the term "tech" to include his nanites, suit, drones, whatever the A.I. Iris can help him with, etc. There's also the possibility she could've provided more ammunition, maybe not infinite amounts, but more. Still, all the technology at his disposal.

In other stories like this: https://mangadex.org/title/41850/ihoujin-dungeon-ni-moguru, and https://mangadex.org/title/22017/manuke-na-fps-player-ga-isekai-e-ochita-baai come to mind, the MC's are limited to the technology they bring with them. Even in Ihoujin Dungeon ni Moguru's case when the MC makes a contract with a goddess, he's still limited to using his skills and technology so far. I haven't read the novel so I don't know if this will change later. Same with FPS player in another world, he's limited to whatever he had in the game before transporting to the fantasy world. He can't even use magic, he can't even be healed by magic because he doesn't have magic. Of course, the mechanics in all three of these stories are different, just the core that they are modern soldiers in a fantasy realm is similar. I just thought it would've been interesting for him to go without magic for a while, or at least not from having no magic to being uber with it so fast.

Either way, I'll read to see what happens. It just would've been nice to get a third advanced soldier in fantasy land type vibe, that's all.

As far as mental imaging goes. After rereading that page, I now think that was the MC deducing that from his experience playing video games. Deciphering who was talking in that conversation was probably what confused me.
i mean it could be like caves of qud, where you have TRUEKIN vs Mutants, where one of them can't use magic and have pure genes so nano machines and cybernetics are used instead while mutants use psychic abilities.

of course i don't this series wants to explore both pathways of development, so the author likely merged them together, because its a linear single protagonist story,
it could be a good contrast if there were too protagonists, and one of them used tech and one used magic so the author could explore both paths

Users who are viewing this thread