Kuu Neru Futari Sumu Futari - Vol. 2 Ch. 9 - Family Trial

This chapter kinda left a bad taste in my mouth because I dont like kids/nor want kids. The guy clearly knows his girlfriend does not like kids and decided to use this opportunity to force his girlfriend to think about having kids because he likes kids, They should have honestly had an actual conversation about this before he used this backhanded and honestly selfish method to try and force his girlfriend to like kids. It did work out in his favor in the end, but man that was really selfish of him. At least he got a taste of what parenthood is actually like.

Group Leader
Like most kids I see now-a-days, those two needed a good spanking, little shits, along with their parents who obviously are of the "free range children" crowd that let kids do whatever and whereever they want with no consequences, no matter how badly they act.

jak

Contributor
@pwanch

Oh no, let's not put her into an experience she doesn't like because it might change her opinion.

Dex-chan lover
As usual, people who don't want kids get treated like abnormal and in need of correction. Can't have a long term relationship without some effing kids. Disappointing. 🙄

(The last thing this world needs is 4 kids per couple.)

Group Leader
Thanks for the chapter. Love this manga.

The girlfriend's peprspective was nice because it had me thinking "God, this is why I hate kids." and "Oh, they're kind of cute too." at the same time.

The guy's perspective was just hilarious. His perspective is one long roller-coaster of emotions:

"I want kids!"->"Maybe I can convince her?" -> "It's not working." -> "It's working." -> "It's going terribly!" -> "It's going well?" -> "It's going too well??" -> "Honey, why am I sleeping on the couch?!" -> "I hate parenthood and regret everything." -> *Sees girlfriend looking a little wistful* "We're having kids, and it'll be two at least. At least!"

Look I know we are all cool antinatalists here on mangadex, buuut

I don't think it was specifically said that she didn't want kids, just that she didn't like them. I also never got the impression that she was against having children, just that she didn't feel confident with interacting with them.

I agree that it was shitty of the boyfriend to not have a conversation about this beforehand, but I also think that this would probably be a touchy subject between them. Just as he knows she isn't the best with kids, she probably knows that he likes kids and probably wants them. I think from the guy's perspective this was a nice way to do both a solid for his sister and introduce the idea to her in organic way. Was he right, probably not, but I think this kind of situation is honestly pretty realistic for a great deal of couples. People aren't always on the same wavelength, and because of that partners don't always make great choices.

There is definitely a conservative family values bias here, but I don't think this was about Ritsuko not wanting kids, just that she didn't feel ready to have them.

Having kids or not is a touchy subject. Whether or not the person will change his/her mind about having them is really up to the individuals. Some people already decided that they didn't want any and that's fine. In this case, Ritsuko thought kids aren't so bad in the end. I also don't think it's right to generalize saying that the boyfriend is wrong, it's just his hope that Ritsuko would change her mind but he wasn't forcing her to have kids. He's just doing his sister a favor. It's fine from my perspective that he's not pestering her about having kids all the freaking time.

Now, just a little personal story, my oldest brother just had his fifth child in 2020 and I helped their family out, mostly looking after the older kids. I don't really like children but I am definitely cool with my nieces and nephews (I have to, to take care of them). It's pretty hard to find that balance of being strict while giving them the freedom to play and stuff. It takes a lot of effort to learn each of their quirks to better handle them. Babysitting for a night and a month are not comparable honestly..

Dex-chan lover
I am on the "children = animals" side. And the chapter was more or less realistic until the point of "giving the kid a nice big talk". Because it's common knowledge that such talk never works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dex-chan lover
Based Shinzo Abe. He might not be the prime minister anymore, but his meme about birthrate problem sure is still alive.

I don’t think the boyfriend was trying to force her to like or want kids. He just seems excited by the possibility which goes along w his personality that’s more care-free. He probably should’ve talked to her about taking care of kids, though. It’s hard for a lot of people to take care of someone else’s kid, let alone two lmao

Dex-chan lover
Man I love this manga, and the author's dedication to giving both POV's in a single chapter. Double work!

... I am kind of scared to go into the comments though, I can already tell how it's going to go...

Fed-Kun's army
Fun chapter! Ritsuko handled it really well despite the initial misgivings. She is way more ready for the day to day of parenthood than Non is at this point, haha.

One minor mistake(?) in the translation: on page 36, Non has a box
SBuNu6o.png
where he refers to both the kids as his "nieces" when it should be "niece and nephew"(or the always fun word "niblings"). It's possible that the term in Japanese is gender neutral, but it's decidedly not in English(again, unless you use "nibling").

Have I mentioned "nibling" enough? I love that word. Really, this was mostly just an excuse to use it repeatedly. "Nibling." Heh.

Seems like Non-chan let Ritsuko handle more of the work, though. If Ritsuko ever decides to have kids with him she'll have to either make him help her out more or accept that she'll have to do more (most?) of the chlid-rearing.

Isn't that kid too young to be reading Detroit Metal City?

Users who are viewing this thread