Land of the Lustrous - Ch. 106 - Bridge

Dex-chan lover
I don't know what it is about this chapter, but I don't really feel all that sad or melancholic about it. Maybe it's just the me of today, but it feels a bit... I dunno...
Something is missing. Or maybe I'm just not processing what's happening? Either way, I hope Phos has a good ending at least.
A gem will always shine for as long as it exists. And I hope Phos does too.

Dex-chan lover
Finally Phos will be freed from all the melancholy, suffering, pain, frustration and duty. May Phosphophyllite not suffer anymore.

Dex-chan lover
There's just an unreasonable amount of dread, knowing that one day, our planet will be engulfed in flames from the very star that gives us warmth. Then I remembered; I'm gonna be long dead before the sun eats the Earth; I won't feel a thing when what little traces of me are left, if any even remain at that point, when the sun does go full mukbang on the planets.

I can't imagine actually living through that. If we're still trapped on Earth when the sun does go full red giant, I pray it's quick and painless for that distant generation.

There's just an unreasonable amount of dread, knowing that one day, our planet will be engulfed in flames from the very star that gives us warmth. Then I remembered; I'm gonna be long dead before the sun eats the Earth; I won't feel a thing when what little traces of me are left, if any even remain at that point, when the sun does go full mukbang on the planets.

I can't imagine actually living through that. If we're still trapped on Earth when the sun does go full red giant, I pray it's quick and painless for that distant generation.
It's expected to be gradual. 1 billion years from now the oceans will begin to evaporate away. Over the next 3 billion years Earth will attain, and then far exceed, Venus' atmospheric and surface conditions. Then, finally, Earth is expected to fall into the (now-Earth-orbit-sized) Sun.

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad to see the big eye prioritise phos. I think a lot of the stuff from this chapter is flying over my head a bit though.

Unrelated to the chapter i am absolutely heartbroken to hear another author has passed away because of the last page note. I read her series about bread and stationary stores. Poor woman.

Group Leader
let's recap:
humans are made with bones (gems), flesh (sea people), and minds (lunarians).
1st phos was only Phosphophyllite and inclusions. v2 added "flesh" (seashells), v3 added few shit like lapis head, pure gold, etc., v4 added "mind" (the pearl eye)
humanless phos is just Phosphophyllite without inclusion then? meaning she'll need few eons to adapt as a lifeform without inclusion (like our rock'n'roll bros)...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
every one of phos's teachers has been a nihilist and like all nihilists they were dumb in the basics of humanity and supplanted logic with an "everyone dies so only I am the only truth when speaking on human condition, and I hate people being positive" echo chamber, as such this entire section screams of r/i'm14andthisisdeep so I continue to roll my eyes at how cringe it is

on top of that many parts of the early lore were discarded or implied to be useless like the sea humans built by raw gene editing of remaining human genetic samples... they are just extinct now and were never/will never be brought up again for very little rational other than plot didn't need them outside of that one arc...like the other gems, who went off and did...what, exactly? they sent off the moon souls and just MIA, they should still be around like phos all things considered

god this thing became an objective train wreck but I want to see what stupid end scene there will be... if we could get to it

Fed-Kun's army
...like the other gems, who went off and did...what, exactly? they sent off the moon souls and just MIA, they should still be around like phos all things considered
Haven't they turned into lunarians? I remember there was a machine for that.
And then they dissappeared into nothingness along with humans-turned-lunarians.

Dex-chan lover
Haven't they turned into lunarians? I remember there was a machine for that.
And then they dissappeared into nothingness along with humans-turned-lunarians.
did they? I can't remember any such thing being discussed, I do remember the machine that recombined the gems they ground to dust and threw to the universe and how the other gems planned to return to phos after they collected their lost siblings as the last bit of that arc

also rather than turning into nothingness, seems more like humanity ascended into energy beings, with the lunarians being an intermediate step and with the whole "the most righteous people go first" thing that meant the ones we saw were, again, the scum of humanity

Fed-Kun's army
I think 2 chapter more is a good place to end. 107 for the rock to find a new place, 108 for epilogue

Dex-chan lover
That very small black pebble that Phos saves in last chapter is the final press for eyes bros to save atleast part of remaining Phosphophyllite :meguuusad:

Also phos just yeet them upwards and open the cloud effortlessly

Dex-chan lover
tbh im confused but im just here waiting for phos to finally be put to rest

Users who are viewing this thread