Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Ch. 328 - Magitools of Terror

Dex-chan lover
in fact I read it twice, and then a third time because the second reading made me go "wait a minute, what does this even have to do with iruma-kun." what the godzilla franchise did, how an american economist's name is romanized, and the japanese name of some company all have absolutely nothing to do with the role of the word in this story. the only thing remotely relevant is the military context, and while interesting, it in no way proves that "battler" is wrong and "batra" is right and everyone on the official side is just lazy.

yes, the english word "battler" would generally be written in japanese as バトラー. maybe the author intended for it to be "battler" but wrote it as バトラ because she thought バトラー would be confusing to her japanese readership, who would be more likely to interpret it as "butler." whatever the case, everyone whose opinion has any weight in the matter has agreed that, in the context of this manga, the word that's written as バトラ in japanese should be written as "battler" in english. how it's romanized in other situations has no bearing on this.
Seems that you may have looked at what was written, but didn't actually read it, considering the lack of understanding shown... Also, Asian Indian who has migrated and then naturalized to America, actually, but I digress.

All those instances show usage of the actual katakana and their English equivalents beyond just a single niche and from multiple sources, to show that to translate it as "Battler" would be incorrect due to the difference in characters used. It's not "generally" that Battler is written in Japanese as [バトラー], it's ALWAYS written that way. [バトラ] could only be translated to "Battle", not "Battler", because of the extended vowel from the choonpu being missing which extends the sound out in the closest approximation Japanese has to English vocalization. It is also not something her Japanese readership would confuse, either; the katakana is provided superscript over the kanji, to indicate the method of reading the kanji, otherwise known as on'yomi, but it doesn't modify the actual meaning of the kanji, either; only explicitly note exactly the meaning being used, which is why my final note was, "If anything, a proper translation would be to just use "Division" in the military organization sense". [団] is "Dan" and means "group", in the sense of a bunch of people organized for a shared purpose; [師] is "Shi", and carries the meaning of "Division" on its own as well as in Jukugo (compound words in Kanji, which [師団] is), so together they would be read as "Shi-dan" without the on'yomi to indicate it should be read as "Ba[バ]-to[ト]-ra[ラ]".

And lastly, fuck you for trying to say that what I have to say doesn't matter, you little piece of shit.

Double-page supporter
Seems that you may have looked at what was written, but didn't actually read it, considering the lack of understanding shown... Also, Asian Indian who has migrated and then naturalized to America, actually, but I digress.

All those instances show usage of the actual katakana and their English equivalents beyond just a single niche and from multiple sources, to show that to translate it as "Battler" would be incorrect due to the difference in characters used. It's not "generally" that Battler is written in Japanese as [バトラー], it's ALWAYS written that way. [バトラ] could only be translated to "Battle", not "Battler", because of the extended vowel from the choonpu being missing which extends the sound out in the closest approximation Japanese has to English vocalization. It is also not something her Japanese readership would confuse, either; the katakana is provided superscript over the kanji, to indicate the method of reading the kanji, otherwise known as on'yomi, but it doesn't modify the actual meaning of the kanji, either; only explicitly note exactly the meaning being used, which is why my final note was, "If anything, a proper translation would be to just use "Division" in the military organization sense". [団] is "Dan" and means "group", in the sense of a bunch of people organized for a shared purpose; [師] is "Shi", and carries the meaning of "Division" on its own as well as in Jukugo (compound words in Kanji, which [師団] is), so together they would be read as "Shi-dan" without the on'yomi to indicate it should be read as "Ba[バ]-to[ト]-ra[ラ]".

And lastly, fuck you for trying to say that what I have to say doesn't matter, you little piece of shit.
well, I don't think you really understood what I was getting at with the butler thing, but I also didn't read your whole post because my eyes accidentally skipped to the bottom and I found out that what I thought was an interesting discussion about jp-en translation for a slice-of-life comedy manga was actually the hill you want to die on so aggressively that you're out to murder anyone else around it. and that's not really what I'm here for, so uh. you have fun with that. sorry for standing near your hill.

Dex-chan lover
are the "sexy Iruma-chi photos" still going to be included in the potential haunted house? 🤔
image.png
I assume these are the "sexy" photos 😂

Silvia's neurons activated just hearing the sentence : "depths of terror"

I just love seeing Iruma happy and excited for something after his rough times in the human world.

Users who are viewing this thread