Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Vol. 21 Ch. 186.1 - Character Booklet

Dex-chan lover
@Darkion which results in confusion regarding Opera's "actual gender" as could be seen with many in the comment section, though I agree with the sentiment that something like "xe" would only be more confusing and unimmersive. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with using "they" as the translators currently do, especially since other series like Houseki no Kuni does the same. Languages change to suit societal needs, and since "they/them" trends sufficiently as a pronoun for ambiguous gender, there's little reason for it to be awkward at all.

Most of the time when characters dress like a man but has ambiguous gender, they turn out to be girls, at least in my experience with anime/manga/WN/LN

I don't understand the confusion, Opera is obviously just a dude.
Not everything is one of your erotic fan fictions.

Amelie is planning on baking? cake for her father?
Let's just hope that she tells someone her plan to help her bake or prevent her from poisoning her father.

Dex-chan lover
Iruma from the second last page is me lol i feel that. Also o mah gah clara is best girl gah>.<

@Vacaria

Because I presume in the original japanese version the non-gendered pronoun or something was used. As we don't use [it] to describe a person the translated decided to go with [they].
Guess author want to keep the gender of Opera hidden for now.

@Sleepii
I was actually going more into the direction of bad girl style, which is something that could be needed for the current arc.

Dex-chan lover
Well in this case the author obviously just hasn't revealed Opera's gender, so the translator using they/them is understandable.

Checking wikipedia, Opera in the anime is apparently VA-ed by a female voice actress in Japan and male voice actor in English, add that into the confusion I guess lol

Checking Wikipedia, Opera in the anime is apparently VA-ed by a female voice actress in Japan and male voice actor in English, add that into the confusion, I guess lol

I want to make now that their VA in japan is a VA that plays male and female characters. So just using they/them for Opera works best.

Which I'm fine with. It's easier to sort out unlike the few people who still think that Azz is a girl.

Fed-Kun's army
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TRANSLATING THE BOOKLET !!!!! I love the new info about Kalego-sensei (he was born on February 14th !!!! And he joined the misfits devi-line 🤣) and the early sketches, Kirio looking cute/edgy as always 🥺 and lol for Clara taking a pic of Azz falling

Dex-chan lover
@toonix I don't know if you're joking or not but I think "I.E" in this case isn't Sullivan's name. "I.e." is the abbreviation for id est and means “in other words.”

Fed-Kun's army
totally here for non-binary Opera, even if it’s just a placeholder since we don’t know their gender.

Dex-chan lover
I like how Clara and Alice are complementary colors. It really suits them.

Also Opera is not non-binary. That's just dumb. Don't project your own standards onto a fictional character meant to be mysterious by their nature.

Users who are viewing this thread