[Manga] Subtext Tag

Power Uploader
Hey! I think Mangadex should have a (romantic) subtext tag. Consider: Mangadex already has a way to tag subtext. It’s just unintuitive and should be made more clear.

x7jeri.png

The way the BL and GL tags currently function is that either tag as a standalone only means BL or GL subtext. The addition of the romance tag is needed for a series to be interpreted as “there is outright canon BL/GL”. So, the way to tag subtext is to tag either BL or GL but NOT romance.

mc1ejq.png

I think that’s a little silly, more than a little confusing, and probably unknown to most users (hidden in a 2019 thread). If you saw the BL tag by yourself, your first thought is probably “there’s gay main characters” and not “there’s maaybe implied gay main characters”. (There’s also the issue that most people implicitly read the romance tag as straight romance, so scanlators may not even consider tagging romance for BL or GL series. Official publishers like Seven Seas, Tapas, Bookwalker have a standalone BL or GL tag with no need for tagging romance to mean romantic gay stuff)

To demonstrate how strange this policy for tagging BL and GL is:

Here are some popular overtly romantic series that, by current definitions, are missing the romance tag and should only have "subtext".
There's probably more in the hundred pages of series tagged with BL or GL but not romance. A good chunk of those probably have overt gay romances.

And here are some recently added series that, by current definitions, are missing the romance tag.
Basically, the guideline of "tag romance AND BL/GL" is kind of not being followed in a lot of cases.

My suggestion is to change the BL and GL tags to mean an explicit romance or romantic relationship on their own, denoting a romance the same way the romance tag works as a standalone, and add a subtext tag to be used in conjunction with BL or GL to mean respective subtext.
With this proposal, here's an idea of what tag combinations could mean:

• BL
    • Main focus of the story is on a gay couple
  • GL
    • Main focus of the story is on a lesbian couple
  • GL + Subtext
    • Significant theme of an implied romance between major characters
  • BL + Romance
    • Main focus of the story is on BOTH a gay couple AND a straight couple
      • Maybe a bisexual love triangle?
      • Four main characters who pair off into a gay and straight pair

By adding a subtext tag, it visibly divides up subtext and text umbrella and leaves people only wanting confirmed romances happier while also having a way to more recognizably tag series.

I think this would help clear out some of the messy data around the BL/GL tags, while also dealing with the thousands of series not tagged romance before yuri/shoujo ai and yaoi/shounen ai were merged into GL/BL.

Possible subtext tag definition:
Implied but not outright said romantic feelings or relationship between major characters that is an underlying series theme.

Use case:
Not for ongoing series that are probably just building up to a romance, but series that in all likelihood (if we quit inhaling copium )aren’t going in that direction, or for finished series with a consistent will-they-won’t-they to tease the readers. Especially useful for yuribait and fujobait series which have original tags that "overpromise." Probably best for series that end up with no conclusive major romances.

Tag Applicability:
There are a combined over 2000 GL Subtext and BL Subtext tags on MangaUpdates.

Dynasty has its own subtext tag which sees substantial use.

Off the top of my head, here are some series which could benefit from a subtext tag:

Liar Satsuki
Free!
Lycoris Recoil
Idolish7
Mosspaca
The Antagonist’s Pet
Your Throne
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
New Game!

And here are some users who like having tags for "borderline" gay content.

BONUS:

Upvote 7
Contributor
I never considered this idea, but it would help a great deal when filtering though the catalog.

is a Reindeer
VIP
Basically, the guideline of "tag romance AND BL/GL" is kind of not being followed in a lot of cases.

Sounds like a problem with tagging and just needs to be reported to be fixed. The contributor forum needs a thread for a mass GL/BL fix the romance editing mission. Back when I decided to split gender bender into crossdressing and genderswap, I took on like 80% of the work going through and fixing the tags to fit the intended standard. For GL and BL, there was just way too much content for me to take on.

As for the specific BL Subtext and GL Subtext recommendations, I don't have any input at the moment.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
Sounds like a problem with tagging and just needs to be reported to be fixed. The contributor forum needs a thread for a mass GL/BL fix the romance editing mission. Back when I decided to split gender bender into crossdressing and genderswap, I took on like 80% of the work going through and fixing the tags to fit the intended standard. For GL and BL, there was just way too much content for me to take on.

The thing is, having to tag romance with those two tags is also kind of a Mangadex Moment, I can't think of any other site that wants a romance tag in addition to BL or GL to mean "Actually Really BL/GL tm", I feel like people will just keep adding BL/GL stuff without tagging romance-and who can blame them? Using a lack of a combination of tags to mean another tag gets confusing.

It's an unfamiliar thing and (imo) kind of unecessary when BL and GL tend to be read as gay romance on their own.

You go into a BL or GL series assuming romance, which BL and GL tend to cover in most people's minds. You don't go into a BL or GL series assuming subtext, which I think makes it distinct enough to merit a tag.

ps6fnw.png

The current way of tagging is "GL + Romance" and "GL". I think it makes more sense to have "GL" and "GL + subtext"

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I never knew the rules said that gay romance manga have to be tagged gl/bl + romance, and when I saw one tagged that way I thought it was an error or something. Either way I don't read gl/bl often so I can't speak for the actual fans of the genres

Contributor
I don't read bl/gl at all, but when I saw that some bl/gl mangas have romance tag and some do not, I was confused, and I wouldn't be surprised if other people were also confused the first time they saw it. People shouldn't need to think so much to decide if mangas that have a tag with "love" in it also needs romance tag or not.

Dex-chan lover
I'm agree with this, we need subtext tag.

Sometimes there is a BL focusing on plot not romance or barely there / subtle, parody , fans service-y, bait type.

• No.6 -> plot focused
  • Zettai BL ni Naru Sekai VS Zettai BL ni Naritakunai Otoko -> a parody of bl world , mc is straight
  • Golden Days -> plot focused
  • I ♂ Took A Trip to an Otome Game -> only teasing reader while it isn't really BL
  • Isekai Tensei, Ore ga Otome ge de Kyuuseishu -> he was summoned as a heroine to romance with guys, he escape it, so bl as humor but not really BL

And many more

Last edited:
Contributor
Tldr Against making Romance = Straight Romance. Adding new tags - don't care, as you guys want / decide.

Coming from outside BL/GL context, Romance tag for me means love story(ies) is a significant driven force of main plot line.
Don't really care about gender.
I'd make Romance a parent/set tag for all mixes of X love tags (Read - selecting romance means selecting all sub genres)
Which aligns with current behaviour if properly tagged.

PS Ideal tag system - user created and voted on - at mangaupdates

i completely agree. a category should be added for bl and gl subtexts (bromance, homoeroticism, queerbait) for there are a lot of publishers that put josei/shoujo genres which is highly misleading for readers. LGBTQ+ themes should be taken considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread