Need LGBT appropriate tags :rejected:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@comeonnow0
People who say that I'm nothing more than a humorless authoritarian with an itchy ban finger were wrong about one thing.

I found this post funny. :v

Ban me Zeph. I dare you. Preferably a week, please.
This is like watching The Joker taunt Batman into murdering the Clown himself, but we'll see who has the last laugh.

Nou

Dex-chan lover
Hey OP not to be rude but couldnt you just use already existing tags to filter some non lgbt content out?

I kinda do it to find trash isekai manga and it works well most of the time although there is quiet a bit of sorting you have to do at the start as some things you don't want will slip in and personally I think that splitting already existing tags would just lead to less content per tag and would mean new users would have a harder time to find things they want.

Joker taunt Batman into murdering the Clown himself, but we'll see who has the last laugh.

How many comic books did they rip off to script this movie? That's it, I'm never passively watching it now. I'll even use the remote if I'll stumble onto it.

Dex-chan lover
@Zephyrus

So you protecc but you also attacc?

But most importantly...

You give bacc?

@comeonnow0
I'd just call it "gaykeeping," like you're protecting your homosexual children.
b61e71c9658787b6eaa10bd7d4927ec18b24d45b.jpg

Group Leader
As a not so friendly reminder to everyone posting or replying in the suggestions forums: if you can't stay on topic, if you have nothing to contribute, if you're insulting other people and getting into dumb arguments - stay out of the suggestions forums

And... this warning was immediately ignored by your typical shitposters, even a fellow staff member.

Tsk tsk... These otaku are so racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, traphobic, crossdresshotaphobic, avatarwithdeergirlphobic and just discriminating in general. Please ban them all and make me new mod.

4 hrs ago: Ban me Zeph. I dare you. Preferably a week, please.

Lel.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Mr_Detective
He was banned irl, zeph used all of his mod power to banish him to the shadow realm, we won't be seeing him again.

Dex-chan lover
im confused.. OP doesnt like the Yuri Yaoi tags... the tags that let you know if it's a manga that focuses on relationships other than straight...because they think the tags are for straight people????

Dex-chan lover
@dsid2814 OP doesn't have much of a problem with yuri, but yaoi is largely populated by manga written for female demographics rather than for male ones. It's a complicated subject.

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy but it's all the same. It seems OP just doesnt want to shovel through stuff they don't like and wants a special button for themselves.

Dex-chan lover
@dsid2814 They're not really the same. Different art styles, different story telling, different relationship dynamics.

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy is it still male x male love? it's the same. battle manga can be written by women and men, and they are different, but they are still battle manga.

Dex-chan lover
@dsid2814 It's not the same for the reasons you completely ignored, but it won't matter after all MxM manga are merged into Boy's Love.

I am working so cannot reply to anyone in a longer comment yet. But @dsid2814, if you look into some of my replies especially after one of the mods posted their sorting with tags comment. I state I am in support of a malexmale tag but not a Yaoi Tag. Unfortunately while yes it does all involve malexmale content. It would be more similar to the idea of having 900 debate only manga and 100 manga where they physically battle under a battle tag. Is a debate technically a battle yes, is it what someone who wants to view fighting manga like dbz, gundam, saint seiya or even card captor sakura would look to read? No. Also another problem with having Yaoi as tag, which the other mod brought up is changing anyway since they are replacing it with BL which has its own potential issues that I have brought up and need to reply to but I want to be more prepared for that one. The issue with yaoi is its a VERY specific sub-genre of MalexMale, alot of people think its the leading term, umbrella term or synonymous with malexmale content and its not.

@Plykiya I want to give you a more proper reply once I can instead of rushing it, also since I am working now I am actually using a computer lol I didn't realise you were even a developer. I will say I did have to admit in a post to bigtiddyoneesan already that yes it is technically LGBT content even if its not written for, made by or even somewhat accurate. Thats why I thought of an lgbt lifestyle tag may serve that purpose better though its something i would be working on as a recommendation not one i am promoting atm.

@bigtiddyoneesan
I'm glad your able to at least see where I am coming from on this, honestly its such a hard topic to broach that I am just happy I did I learned a decent amount myself. especially about Yuri which apparently is actually originally written for women, and later had a smaller subset written for men. Its also interesting to find out that Yuri is closer to the term Bara then its closer to Yaoi which I guess would make sense.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Mr_Detective
You are, in fairness, entirely correct. I was just in a good mood and I think it was a pretty funny joke, even if it wasn't allowed in the first place. Apologies to @Plykiya for undermining their authority. I have been a bad Zeph.

@marikonen

While admittedly, the yaoi genre seems to have been overtaken by a negative view due to fujoshis, the genre itself hasn't been stagnant. It's been evolving to the point that even members of the community find it easy to sympathize with the characters. Some have even begun to see it as a side of the same coin (with yaoi as the "more romantic" form and bara/gei-komi as a more explicit one) [there are scholarly articles on these by the likes of Thomas Baudinette and Nagaike Kazumi that explain this better than I ever could]. And I want to point out that while Yaoi has been predominantly made for females, it has also helped pave the way for LGBT content. It makes it easier for authors to circulate material to the general public and even provides people who wouldn't normally be into this kind of media with an introduction of sorts.

Anyway, that's my take on the academic discussion currently going on. But I think that the fact that yaoi is an evolving genre with various kinds of works is what makes it work as a tag in this site. Adding Bara/Gei-Komi wouldn't really help, in my opinion, since people can't often tell the difference and this is a relatively obscure subgenre. Not even the academic community can find a specific definition since manga is a dynamic media.

Fujoshis arent inherently the problem but like with Yaoi which I really need to stress is not equivalent to MalexMale content there are many issues. The content can actually promote homophobic rhetoric and ideals. Like how in some Yaoi the relationship is only considered good/pure when they don't admit to being gay or bi and the male they love is only an exception. You can 100% be an avid reader of Yaoi and be homophobic pretty easily. Also Yaoi is not an umbrella term its more similar to josei while Geikomi/Bara is more similar to Seinen, which is why I agreed with a prior Mod though I do feel BL has its issues as well its a better umbrella term than Yaoi technically. Yaoi could never be an umbrella term for MalexMale due to how specific its definition and history is not without MAJOR rework.

How can an uploader or dev know what tag to use? Should Bara/Gei-Komi be used if the author is a member of the community? Should it be based on art style alone? How many uploaded works would even fall under the tag?

Technically art style and author, but I do admit that when its not blatantly obvious it could be hard to tell, though it generally is blatantly obvious. Also Heterosexual females could also draw Bara/Geikomi.

Dex-chan lover
@Bestboy @ShadowofOblivion
OP doesn't have much of a problem with yuri, but yaoi is largely populated by manga written for female demographics rather than for male ones. It's a complicated subject.
Isn't Bara a tag reserved for male readers?
Yeah I know yaoi basically a shoujo. The MC is just replaced with boobless and has d*ck extention but personallity basically the same as girl

Lgbt is too wide . I still don't understand the definition. Yaoi, bara, yuri, shonen ai can be LGBT. I predict future translators have difficulty deciding the tags probably double tag as yaoi + lgbt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread