Newest Law January 2021 in Japan

Aggregator gang
SO in about 2 weeks the piracy law in japan starts... im still scared that MangaDex will be affected.

well if they no let us preview and understand manga. less likely to find and buy.

in other words. every Manga and Light Novel i have bought from official sources. i saw here first, liked and decided to buy. if i was in charge of a publishing company. i would watch sites like mangadex and see what is popular and liked, then get the rights and translate officially. that way Know going to sell something people will buy.

@Treyon The law supposes to go into effective since October and it mainly aims at the one who running those websites but till now, not much has changed. Also, Japan doesn't care about what happened outside of there country anyway.

Contributor
@inKraken Same. I've bought many manga series I discovered through this site. Like hundreds of issues. I signed up with Amazon.co.jp to purchase them.

Whole series like Alfheim no Kishi and Nekomix Toraji and Inuyasha... (Practically everything Lovely Strange Dark scanlates, I've bought.) Especially for old series without official English release, like most of the old shoujo series- I download English scans, then buy. (Some old stuff like Red River and Basara have an official English release, so I bought them on American Kindle instead.)

Manga-ka have earned hundreds of dollars off me using this site. Most of these series I never would have heard of without mangadex, so it's not like they're losing any money from it. Granted I prefer older stuff. It may be different for whatever the popular series are these days. (I do buy Yona and Red Haired Snow White and Conan tho.)

Even a good chunk of official releases are due to scans: I don't think they would have brought over Vengeful White Cat manga and novels without me and lots of others begging. (I bought the Japanese releases, and now I buy the English ones also.) A lot of the demand for series outside the usual Shounen megahits is from fans who read scans and request official releases.

TorrentFreak reported about new piracy law that is now in effect today:
https://torrentfreak.com/japans-brand-new-anti-piracy-law-goes-live-heres-how-it-will-work-210101/

@Komaru.

Yeah, it went just as well as we expected. There a line in the article said about there is no prosecution of downloading anime, music and movie since 2012 so it is shown that thing very likely gonna continue as normal. Also, the law doesn't really affect us as the Raw are mostly purchase or rip through websites.

Users who are viewing this thread