Ojousama no Shimobe - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Let's change

Aggregator gang
Mom:
keikaku.jpg

@PTRB
It doesnt exactly fit nowadays but for those with wealth/power it can happen. Today clothes are much simpler so it doesn't fit as well currently, but if something is always done for you it can be easy to never bother paying much attention to it; especially if you don't know that it is anything unusual.

Anyway, its based on the fact that nobles/knights and the like would often have assistance when dressing or otherwise preparing. Some clothes/armor it was actually entirely necessary for assistance in getting dressed as they were difficult, if not impossible, to do yourself. Check out what it sometimes took to fully equip a knight for ceremonies or battle. The nobles or others clothing may not have been quite so difficult but it was far from the simplicity of most modern clothes.
The simple example that modern people can more easily understand would be dresses that have a zipper which is unreachable by the one wearing it. Many higher class outfits would have even more complexity- if you gave an era accurate outfit to a modern person they may struggle with even just getting the proper order that you would should wear them. Another quick example-If you know enough about yukatas you know that just handing them to someone without experience often doesn't look right, if it even stays on properly and again that is generally less complex than the full outfits an ojousama may be required to wear.

Since modern clothes generally don't require as much work this type of service isn't needed as much, but it is used. In the case of a high class child if they never need to dress themselves they may not learn even the basics. Especially if they lack a 'normal' social life, from their perspective it is entirely normal to simply be dressed by another and not worry about the details. Similar idea to not learning about cooking unless otherwise needed. Heck look at the many people now who basically can't cook a thing- from family/friends and stuff like prepared food or fast food; why go out of the way to learn about it if you have no reason to- especially as a child or young adult who has never had exposure to other trigger it. Not saying I agree, just explaining some of the reasoning behind it.

TLDR- It is a bit exaggerated in many stories now but it does have a basis in reality; more than a lot of other common troupes anyway.
Edit- Saw it after posting, sorry for the wall of text guys lol
I thought that would be shorter and I left plenty out.... Anyway had time to wait while chapter loaded and thought it could be...interesting (not really useful to know for most people) to provide some background if it wasn't known.

Supporter
@otakuman706 I knew where the trope came from, I was questioning its more ‘modern’ usage, where teenage girls can’t manage to put on a T-shirt and pants without help. I know you acknowledged this. Thanks for the 2000 word essay anyway!

@PTRB
I had a couple minutes to waste while waiting for the chapter to load. That really only took like maybe 3-5 mins. I over explain too much lol. I actually removed a fair amount here and there trying to make it not too awful long though clearly I didn't get to the middle ground I had hoped lol. Just glad I'm posting via phone, at least it limits me a bit more, though catching errors is annoying with my small screen lol.

Anyway, yeah I do think it is a bit over used now given the reality. My bigger hang up is the kinda similar- that even being super sheltered they should have no issue with underwear and basic things like a simple t-shirt. I can understand her needing help maybe with like a school uniform, especially if a fancier type, etc. but not a slipover shirt. Even if they struggle the first time and are totally lost, you can only do so much before you should figure it out lol.

Edot - Jeez, still too long. I really need to work on cutting shit out again.

if shes able to do math equations, then she is able to dress herself.... she is wearing socks for her whole life, she doesnt even need to see how its done cause once you see your own fucking feet you will be enlightened and think: "ahh thats how its done" as long as she has no brain defect she will be able to do it.. its also called logical thinking ... people are doing it all the time with even harder stuff especially if it has to do something with mechanics: "how does it work", "what force is needed for it to move", "how can i bring up that force" etc... by thinking about it you get behind it eventually ... even neanderthals were able to figure out how to make clothes and wear them... so please...

even the mc is doing it, he asked himself " how do i remove the skirt?" he figured it out and did it and i think he NEVER wore a fucking skirt lmao

this is totally stupid, it would have been better if she said i dont want to do it cause im a spoiled rich kid and i get horny when others do it for me or i get a superior feeling whatsoever

i dont even want to explain about getting help with armor and other stuff during the medieval ages or ill go into "fremdschämen" mode

@Flupser it's a manga.. sometime people shoots laser. sometime a normal guy with no talent or anything going for him becomes the center of a harem of beautiful girls. Some girl that cant dress by herself is in the bottom of the list of weird things that could happen. Dont try to argue with it

@woks im saying this because people here are actually talking about that people in real life dont know how to dress because they are rich or during the medieval ages

@flupser I agree, unless she is mentally deficient. Figuring out how to take off a shirt shouldn't be a riddle.

And hiring a guy to undress a girl just doesn't make sense...

Dex-chan lover
The same author as maga tsuki?? I never finished reading it but... it's time to become a professional at this...

Dex-chan lover
Learning the ways of society, eh? I would not have restrained from giving first lesson: "This is how people sucking up to you look like".

As long he knows his place as butler and don't fall in love with his mistress that's okay for me.

Double-page supporter
Ah what I would give to take care of a cute clueless girl.

Users who are viewing this thread