Option to select manga cover on front page of a manga? [Planned]

Contributor
That's how it's done on many official manga reader sites.
At least, an option would be nice.
An exception would be manga that have really ugly vol 1 that doesn't represent the manga well and doesn't spoil much.
If the user had read up until that volume, the new cover should be shown.

Upvote 7
Double-page supporter
I know this dead horse was beaten countless times but I'll bite...
When you visit bookstore do you instantly call for manager and demand to wrap with black paper every but first book of every series?

Last edited:
Contributor
I know this dead horse was beaten countless times but I'll bite...
When you visit bookstore do you instantly call for manager and demand to wrap with black paper every but first book of every series?
Thanks for replying. You're talking about physical bookstores(that has limitations) and I talk about the digital ones - those are clearly different. Digital stores don't spoil when they don't have to - bad for business(otherwise they would have done it).

Just imagine having never read, say, Dr. Stone or Made in Abyss and then seeing their current pages? Covers can spoil a lot.

Last edited:
Custom title
Staff
Developer
The plan is to eventually implement some kind of user preferences for which covers to pick by default. In the meantime, our rules do mention not to pick covers that have major spoilers, so we don't consider cover spoilers an issue to be fixed at this time.

Contributor
The plan is to eventually implement some kind of user preferences for which covers to pick by default. In the meantime, our rules do mention not to pick covers that have major spoilers, so we don't consider cover spoilers an issue to be fixed at this time.
Thanks!
Would it be, then, fair play to report series with such covers? Sounds like more work for you guys, though.
IMO, would be easier to just change all the covers to the first one and then let the users decide which cover to use for themselves.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Thanks!
Would it be, then, fair play to report series with such covers? Sounds like more work for you guys, though.
IMO, would be easier to just change all the covers to the first one and then let the users decide which cover to use for themselves.
If you find rule-breaking content you should report it, yeah. Just note that by major spoilers we do mean major spoilers, not for example just characters who don't appear in Vol 1 or whatever, so be prepared to explain your reasoning well. You mentioned Dr. Stone and Made in Abyss as examples, and looking at their covers now, they're perfectly fine.

Double-page supporter
Just imagine having never read, say, Dr. Stone or Made in Abyss and then seeing their current pages? Covers can spoil a lot.
Well, that's HEAVILY depends on personal opinion. I never read Dr.Stone past 2-3 chapters when it started serialization. Not my cup of tea. But I just checked covers... Guess what I see? Generic shounen-manga character on first cover, bunch of generic shounen characters on 26th cover. Not a single pixel of spoilers.

You mentioned Dr. Stone and Made in Abyss as examples, and looking at their covers now, they're perfectly fine.
See, personal opinion is personal :/

Double-page supporter
With the default being the first manga volume. Main reason I suggest this is when getting into a new series, the latest manga volume can include very heavy spoilers. Just look at the Naruto and Bleach final volume covers. Might as well scream spoilers.

Spoilers aside, it would look very cool to be able to choose how you come into the manga and highlight what you think is the best part, not just keep it to the latest manga volume. I think it would be cool to

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Planned for the future, but it's probably just going to be first vs latest for simplicity.

Power Uploader
With the default being the first manga volume. Main reason I suggest this is when getting into a new series, the latest manga volume can include very heavy spoilers. Just look at the Naruto and Bleach final volume covers. Might as well scream spoilers.

Spoilers aside, it would look very cool to be able to choose how you come into the manga and highlight what you think is the best part, not just keep it to the latest manga volume. I think it would be cool to
Spoliers aside, there's also the advantage that the first volume cover usually depicts the MC, where the later covers often depict side characters. Especially for series with long LN-style romanji names, having a consistent image showing the main characters makes a series much more recognizable at a glance.

Double-page supporter
Spoliers aside, there's also the advantage that the first volume cover usually depicts the MC, where the later covers often depict side characters. Especially for series with long LN-style romanji names, having a consistent image showing the main characters makes a series much more recognizable at a glance.
Yeah, that too. I remember starting a couple of series’ thinking a side character was going to be the main character, and was confused as to where this character was and why we were focusing on this random character, only to discover they were the main character.

Contributor
Planned for the future, but it's probably just going to be first vs latest for simplicity.
Cool! Thank you.
I see that the thread name has been changed to something else.
Will you be doing vol 1 by default(option) for manga in the search/thumbnail mode as well or is it only for manga's main page?

I was going to suggest this function as well; to me, the most appropriate default is to display the cover of the first volume with unread chapters in it for any given series, in any given context.

Whether a cover constitutes a major or minor spoiler is going to be a highly personal opinion. I am very sensitive to spoilers and always avoid them (this goes for all types of fiction, be it film or games). I often find later volumes’ covers too revealing, but judging from Teasday’s comment I suspect they are not significant enough for most people to be considered violating the rules. (How do you view the cover of Ase to sekken, for instance?)

Marriage of 2 main characters in romcom? Shocker. Did not see that coming. Really.

But ye, as it was mentioned. It is planned.
Which was my entire point. :p It’s not a major spoiler, but it annoys me. Actually, what annoys me is rather that you miss out on all the previous covers unless you actively seek them out.

Anyway, glad to hear you are actively working on it.

Marriage of 2 main characters in romcom? Shocker. Did not see that coming. Really.

But ye, as it was mentioned. It is planned.
Someone not reading alot of romance manga? Because not every romance manga have wedding scene. in this case it guaranty happy ending.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread