Oshi no Bishoujo ni Kokuhaku sareru Hanashi - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Group Leader
here's an extra chapter that came with the published version of the manga.

this is the second manga I've worked on that uses oshi (推し) a lot, but I still don't really know the best way to translate it. To stan? To support? A fave? An idol? I used a bit of a roundabout solution that was a bit wordier this time, but hopefully it stills reads okay.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
here's a chapter that came with the published version of the manga.

this is the second manga that uses oshi (推し) a lot, but I still don't really know the best way to translate it. To stan? To support? A fave? An idol? I used a bit of a roundabout solution that was a bit wordier this time, but hopefully it stills reads okay.
I think using oshi is fine, as the definition of this word seems to be constantly changing (or changing depending on the needs of the manga)

Group Leader
I think using oshi is fine, as the definition of this word seems to be constantly changing (or changing depending on the needs of the manga)
the problem for me is using it as a verb.

like, when Masumi says 推すしかないだろう!? on page 4, instead of "There's nothing I can do but (oshi/support/stan) her!?", I tl'd it "How could she not be my oshi!?" to keep it as a noun.

Banned
here's an extra chapter that came with the published version of the manga.

this is the second manga I've worked on that uses oshi (推し) a lot, but I still don't really know the best way to translate it. To stan? To support? A fave? An idol? I used a bit of a roundabout solution that was a bit wordier this time, but hopefully it stills reads okay.
I respect you and your translation really a lot for just keeping it as "oshi".

Dex-chan lover
the problem for me is using it as a verb.

like, when Masumi says 推すしかないだろう!? on page 4, instead of "There's nothing I can do but (oshi/support/stan) her!?", I tl'd it "How could she not be my oshi!?" to keep it as a noun.

Thank you for your work on this! I just came across it and everything has been fantastic.

I also agree with the other comments on keeping it as just "oshi" cuz it's usually only used in those scenarios, and most of us who read a lot will understand.

In regard to the verb usage, I'd either go with how you've been swapping it as a noun as long as it doesn't take away from the original text too much, or from what I've come to understand, it's used in a situation where one "likes and supports," which is why it's commonly used for celebrities and idols, so in that context "like and support" or just "support" would work out, but again, with how you had it, the conversation flowed quite nicely!

Once again, thank you! Looking forward to more of this, it's been a great find.

Double-page supporter
Whoa new chapter so quick! :dogewow:

Yeah the common use of oshi is a head scratcher for sure, since it's a relatively malleable word because of internet/otaku/idol culture clashing I think this is one of those situations where being a human translator is so important, I think machine learning will take a looong time to figure out how to correctly use nuanced words like oshi correctly.
Also I think the way you changed it from a verb to a noun in that particular sentence was great, it flowed with the story and very little if none of the original meaning was lost.

Now I need to get back to work learning Japanese on my own :fml:

Dex-chan lover
Ah sheeeesh, I feel bad, in this chapter I thought "She looks like that glasses guy from Crossdressing Boys of the Otaku Circle manga" and a few pages after find out she has a complex about looking like the brother...

Users who are viewing this thread