Otomege Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu - Ch. 67 - Do We Go On?

Dex-chan lover
It's his own wedding right?
456624102_1940957719689201_9141657275263486649_n.jpg

Dex-chan lover
finished reading the novel few days ago

no spoilers, I just want to say one aspect about the translation
(I don't know if anyone has brought this up before or whether there's already an explanation about it)
it's about the translation of "magic" vs "demon" in the story, in particular the arm equipment that Vandel used

as you might know that the kanji "magic" contains the kanji "demon/devil" in it
that's why you can say that the literal translation of the kanji "magic" itself is "the way of demon" or "the method of demon"

So in the official translations (so far in the novels) the kanji/phrases in that context are translated as "demon" throughout the series
e.g. demonic tool, demon knight, demonic essence, demonic core, etc.
which was then accepted by the fandom (don't know which came first),
and I see that in this manga fan translation, they are also translated in a similar way as "devil's tool" and "demon" (ch. 61, 63,)

as a comparison, I see in several fan translations of the novels, they are translated simply as "magic" until the very end
e.g. magic tool, magic knight, magical essence, etc.
my guess because it is mostly MTL, so maybe they just left it as is (literal tanslation)

now, if we look at its usage in this story, in the current arc, I think "devil" or "demon" makes perfect sense,
They are fighting monsters, it is an unknown lost item, so the word "devil" fits the narrative.
(also maybe it was done to differentiate the "evil" magic from the "normal" magic, because here there are already several types of magic: human magic, elf magic, and later there will be yet another form of magic)

However, in the later stories, this "demon" naming becomes a bit weird in context.
and above all, in the final 2 arcs, I feel like calling it "demon" is just plain wrong
I feel like I have to agree with MTL here. Calling it simply "magic" just makes a lot more sense in the (future) narrative

and that's all I wanted to say, because that translation really bugs me towards the end
sorry if anyone feels like this turned out to be a spoiler,
but I just wanted to point that out as a caution for the translation since this arc is the first appearance of it
just a little bit of food for thought

Users who are viewing this thread