Overrated anime titles

Dex-chan lover
let me start by saying this. jjk s2 is overrated af. dont get me wrong it has the best animation of the season. but anime needs more than just good animation. i genuinely enjoyed s1. but s2 had no character development whatsoever and was filled with random fights . got bored and dropped it. now i have started reading its manga but no it doesnt get any better.now i understand why its the most dropped title of the year

Dex-chan lover
To this day I still do not understand how an anime made up entirely of bad Naruto filler arcs and with a hilariously garbage ending is still regularly recommended as a "classic" online. Feels like nobody actually sat through it, or they just remember the OP/ED and character designs and delude themselves into thinking it was a masterpiece. Goddamn is Samurai Champloo bad.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
To this day I still do not understand how an anime made up entirely of bad Naruto filler arcs and with a hilariously garbage ending is still regularly recommended as a "classic" online. Feels like nobody actually sat through it, or they just remember the OP/ED and character designs and delude themselves into thinking it was a masterpiece. Goddamn is Samurai Champloo bad.
yes couldn't agree more. its boring with predictable plots and the story that overlaps across different episodes makes it just feel long and dull

Double-page supporter
For anime movies, the first Ghost In The Shell anime movie (1995) is clearly overrated. Not bad, just not as good as it's supposed to be. Sure, the animation is good for an old anime, the gunfights are very dynamic, the art is fine too. But the story and plot is a mess, it blends a few separate chapters from the manga (BTW, the manga was bad, deal with it), and do it badly. Also, expect some philosophical tidbits thrown awkwardly because it's cyberpunk here, and you're supposed to expect them, even when they serve no purpose.

I've seen the movie for the first time a few months ago, maybe i was expecting too much. I knew it wasn't something deep like Serial Experiment Lain or Ergo Proxy, but it's disappointing for something often claimed to be a masterpiece of cyberpunk. For me, it's closer in spirit to "Blood the last vampire" than anything else.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
For anime movies, the first Ghost In The Shell anime movie (1995) is clearly overrated. Not bad, just not as good as it's supposed to be. Sure, the animation is good for an old anime, the gunfights are very dynamic, the art is fine too. But the story and plot is a mess, it blends a few separate chapters from the manga (BTW, the manga was bad, deal with it), and do it badly. Also, expect some philosophical tidbits thrown awkwardly because it's cyberpunk here, and you're supposed to expect them, even when they serve no purpose.

I've seen the movie for the first time a few months ago, maybe i was expecting too much. I knew it wasn't something deep like Serial Experiment Lain or Ergo Proxy, but it's disappointing for something often claimed to be a masterpiece of cyberpunk. For me, it's closer in spirit to "Blood the last vampire" than anything else.
The live action starring Scarlett is hot though. I understood the plot more when it was 100% culturized.

Dex-chan lover
agreed but

disney ruined themselves
Well, not everyone can be as successful as Mc Donalds or Burger King. Burger King also is failing to adapt so Disney case is not unique.

It seems Burger King, Disney, and Apple will not live to see 2030.

Dex-chan lover
the crunchyroll anime awards was shit as always. it felt more of a popularity play than a well thought award program.so lets list the overrated anime titles for a change of pace.
Be it crunchyroll, animecorner, animetrending they do not reflect the masses but the wallet of the CEOs - should I say "partners".

Overrated: Demon Slayer

the story is more or less mid at best
animation carried the show, even then for me it wasn't good
the last season in particular was horrible
I read the manga back in the day and I liked how it was a bit darker
anime used so much bright color that it was sometimes blindingly excess

Dex-chan lover
...Feels like nobody actually sat through it, or they just remember the OP/ED and character designs and delude themselves into thinking it was a masterpiece...
And the OP isn't even good. It literally sounds like a broken record with shitty lyrics rapped over it
I still like it though. There's worse shows than it.

...I've seen the movie for the first time a few months ago, maybe i was expecting too much. I knew it wasn't something deep like Serial Experiment Lain or Ergo Proxy, but it's disappointing for something often claimed to be a masterpiece of cyberpunk. For me, it's closer in spirit to "Blood the last vampire" than anything else.....
Agree on the GiTS plot. I'm more of a SAC fan.
Lain isn't even deep, it's mediocre and isn't anything special. Bizzarre how there's Internet teenage suicide cults obsessed with a show that only gets interesting in the last couple of episodes.
Speaking of shows like that, Evangelion. The original Anime anyway.

Last edited:

I don't think people think back to the filler arcs when rating/judging
we all know why filler exists, especially for a long-running weekly show

there was a filler arc during the Great Ninja War arc which triggered me
but it was mostly because of when they decided to put that filler, it would have been better if they had planned it out properly and aired those episodes beforehand to give the manga more time.

I agree the ending was bad, just not bad enough for me to hate the show and the long journey. I guess there are way too many things I liked about the show vs dislike.

I would still recommend Naruto & Naruto: Shippuden to people instead of 12 / 24 episodes like Jujutsu Kaisen and whatever similar newer popular titles.

I watched and read so much that everything is predictable. I rather look at the execution and manage expectations accordingly.

Group Leader
Erased, that ending was dogshit idc what people say. The authors other manga has had pretty lackluster endings like the body switch one but Erased felt like the author wanted a twist ending and forced that bull.

Contributor
the crunchyroll anime awards was shit as always. it felt more of a popularity play than a well thought award program
That's normal, it's always the case when you make an uneducated group (about anime work) votes for an award. So yes these are popularity results.

Goddamn is Samurai Champloo bad.
Well I think it's a pretty good anime, I really like Watanabe's works. Everything is great in the anime, and the music feels very nostalgic every time I listen to the soundtracks.

Overrated: Ghibli
I don't like Ghibli I just like Miyazaki. I watched a lot of Ghibli's movies and if it's not Miyazaki works they are not really good. But I'm confident Miyazaki is not overrated.

I don't really have an overrated anime in mind because if I don't like an anime I drop it quickly, I can't really judge without watching the full season. But I would say...err...Dr. Stone? (I don't like the story so...)

Also, I clicked here because I misread the thread title as Overrated anime titties. Welp.🤷‍♀️

Dex-chan lover
Overrated: Demon Slayer

the story is more or less mid at best
animation carried the show, even then for me it wasn't good
the last season in particular was horrible
I read the manga back in the day and I liked how it was a bit darker
anime used so much bright color that it was sometimes blindingly excess
I watched only the Zankyou OP of season 3 then closed the show.

Erased, that ending was dogshit idc what people say. The authors other manga has had pretty lackluster endings like the body switch one but Erased felt like the author wanted a twist ending and forced that bull.
Wait, I thought that was the general consensus? I've never heard anyone praising Erased as a masterpiece of any kind, or in any way praising the ending of it

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if they call it award-winning if they add child abuse in theme.

Dex-chan lover
Well I think it's a pretty good anime, I really like Watanabe's works. Everything is great in the anime, and the music feels very nostalgic every time I listen to the soundtracks.
honestly the music was good, but i just felt the pacing to be eh..kinda weird . thnx for pointing out the music:win::thumbsup:.@OisE you've got good taste i agree

I don't like Ghibli I just like Miyazaki. I watched a lot of Ghibli's movies and if it's not Miyazaki works they are not really good. But I'm confident Miyazaki is not overrated.
agreed. miyazaki is goat'ed, he takes you on an emotional roller coaster, filled with some weirdness[not in a bad way]. plus the creativity is off charts. seriously , princess mononoke still hits after all these years watching anime.
I don't really have an overrated anime in mind because if I don't like an anime I drop it quickly, I can't really judge without watching the full season. But I would say...err...Dr. Stone? (I don't like the story so...)
is it. i havent seen it, but seeing the general public hyphing it too much.. you know i've kept my distance from it.
Also, I clicked here because I misread the thread title as Overrated anime titties. Welp.🤷‍♀️
anime titties lol:kek:

Users who are viewing this thread