Record of Ragnarok - Ch. 90 - Chapter 90: Atypical

Dex-chan lover
This was it? I was actually excited for this round after it started despite my reservations about another japanese swords guy, but this .. was lame

Double-page supporter
I like Susano, I just really wish he had a more interesting opponent. I get the Mangaka is trying to tie in his own characters, but he has too much Japanese representation and not enough African, American (north, central, south), West Asian, Polynesian, etc.. representation.

I mean, how cool would this fight had been if it was Susano vs Shaka Zulu or Simon Bolivar or Salah al Din?

Double-page supporter
Biggest problem I have with this fight is we already had the fight against Poseidon be about swordstyles.
This makes this one miss that certain unique feeling.
i get what you mean, but I disagree slightly. The poseidon fight was contrasting the style of one of the top gods against the style of one of the top human swordsmen. It established the concept that although the gods may possess overwhelming capabilities, the techniques and ideas developed by humanity could stand up against a physically superior foe. If we look at this current fight, we see that it's different from a fundamental level. Susano isn't using some god-only sword technique. Sure that huge swing was only possible because he's a god, but this fight has been slower paced than the other fights. Why? Because Susano is using swordsmanship that he learned by embracing humanity and learning alongside them.

That to me is what makes this fight interesting. So far, humanity's victories have been through determination and outwitting the gods either through surprise tactics or mastery of technique. But Susano is displaying peak mastery over the swordsmanship developed by humanity while also possessing the physical prowess of a god, so in this fight humanity has lost some of the edge to their greatest tool in this tournament. We already saw though that the "stanceless" did catch Susano off-guard, so that does give us a little clue that just maybe there is a way out, but it will have to be something out of pocket.

Dex-chan lover
what i do get is that all the swordsmen on humanitys side wirght now are probaly damn hes cool
like you might be a god trying to kill us but shit bro thats fire

Dex-chan lover
I feel like Susanoo has to lose this one. Just like thematically, he can't be working to destroy humanity if he loves humanity. Like maybe he might crop up a reason to justify it, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Dex-chan lover
I recently watch a YT shorts by Let's Ask Shogo. He said Iai had been romanticized a lot in Japanese media. He said Iai was created during peaceful time in Japan history. As a practice so that samurais would not forget how to correctly draw sword. He said what considered as iai is drawing of the sword and strike, the moves that came after sword was drawn would be considered kenjutsu.

Users who are viewing this thread