Sekai Tensei Slum Machi kara no Nariagari - Ch. 1.2

yes the majority of Saving 80k gold is Mitsuha weaving a snare to strangle herself as she makes enemies of the governments of earth and the Zegrius Kingdom while her lesbian harem fights over her (and the harem was in open rebellion in the wn at the start of this year and she just crossed a line with Count Bozes). It is a Comedic Tragedy first and foremost even if it parades itself as a Yuri Harem Comedy most of the time.

Part of the difficulty in writing a comedic tragedy is that FUNA has to balance Mitsuha weaving the snare that traps her with making actually good decisions. Yamano County eats all the good intentions that pave the highway to hell both in the material that has gotten directly adapted and that which remains in webnovel territory. Yes most of her uplifting is done via external experts, but she does actually put every inch of her highschool diploma (honestly Mitsuha is actually too smart, shes supposed to have only "technically" graduated, but is a borderline world class Spy when restricted to only her wits and her beretta) to use such as introducing general education and trying to find every person who can help that she can.

Granted, the actual reason Mitsuha doesnt do isekai cooking or serious uplifting herself is that thats actually Mile's thing because FUNA's protagonists dont interfere with eachother's modus operandi except when it comes time for an exterminatus sanction.
I have never been able to read any WN. I tried getting into the 80k retirement LN but the simplistic writing style put me off instantly. In fact this goes for the majority of LN written by dilettante authors. The only one I was able to follow is Overlord. Mainly because it's written more like a traditional novel than a LN. It also approaches the Comedic Tragedy better than 80k retirement IMHO.

Well i will follow this manga at least for a few more chapter but if their main focus will be just foraging I predict dropping it fairly quickly. Don't know if this is an adaptation or an original manga, but if it's the former any WN reader could offer some hints what this series is about and where it will be going?

Dex-chan lover
Promising first chapter (or chapter portion, w/e). The writing and translation seem decent, and the simple but expressive art style is well-suited to a story about children. I also like that the protagonist remembers only a few fragments of his life before reincarnation, as it adds a bit of mystery to the basic isekai formula.

Others have mentioned Ascendance of a Bookworm, and while can I see the similarity, this seems less ambitious and sophisticated. That's not a problem, though, as AoaB sets a high bar. And no matter what, it's nice to have another story about a fantasy world as seen from the underside by the powerless.

Bookmarked (y)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Geh kinda dropping in score for me already, he's clearly somehow using our world knowledge to look for edible plants which makes no sense as it's another world. We know he isn't using his newer memories from this place cause the girl confirms last time done grass caused vomiting.

Also as a side note people the LN has the Harem Tag so take that as you will.

Dex-chan lover
I bet that rat is the "god" that isekai our poor guy here :smugnako:

Dex-chan lover
Dude starving and letting perfectly good insects go like that.
Eat ze inzektz, boy!

Dex-chan lover
Kids starving in manga but still being bubbly with their circumstance breaks my heart, esp when it hammers the reality that this really happens around the world.

Dex-chan lover
Dude starving and letting perfectly good insects go like that.
Eat ze inzektz, boy!
I say no because the worms inside insects will eat your guts.

"Eat maggots though. We will turn it into batter." - 2024 food scientist

Dex-chan lover
I really hope this doesn't get axe'd like the last isekai this "artist" did
Isekai are a disposable and recyclable medium. The more he tries the better he improves.

Look at SAO, it evolved many times, from harem to world building to game, plus a bit of hentai 16.5.

Dex-chan lover
He just got his memories back from his reincarnation. I would assume that if he or the others in the slum knew anything about edible plants they would already be foraging for them. His friend also states that she tried to eat grass, which made her sick, so I would assume that edible plants are unknown to them.

Even if there isn't a direct correlation between his old world and the one he is in now his knowledge of edible plants is a good starting point to start foraging to try and keep from starving. He may also know how to test if a plant is edible (i.e. 1 odor test, 2 skin test, 3 boil and test against lips, 4 hold in mouth test, 5 swall test)

If the city has a water well that is available for its citizens then even the slum dwellers could use it. If not, then those in the slum would have an alternative water source. I mean we already learned that the girl's mother cooked beans and to be able to cook the beans she would need access to water.
True canal water, even stagnant water, is still water, a source of life. I watched last exile where they work just for water. Dirty water if boiled is still drinkable water. I remember Ukraine again...

Dex-chan lover
BUT BUT ... it has the Solo Leveling Screen of Foreboding!!!

Promising first chapter (or chapter portion, w/e). The writing and translation seem decent, and the simple but expressive art style is well-suited to a story about children. I also like that the protagonist remembers only a few fragments of his life before reincarnation, as it adds a bit of mystery to the basic isekai formula.

Others have mentioned Ascendance of a Bookworm, and while can I see the similarity, this seems less ambitious and sophisticated. That's not a problem, though, as AoaB sets a high bar. And no matter what, it's nice to have another story about a fantasy world as seen from the underside by the powerless.

Bookmarked (y)

Reputation of 3 volumes MAX PER WORK. Sometimes 4 if you count the 1.1 volumes.

It seems the author tried too many lolis.
How are these authors able to secure any kind of funding with this history of commitment issues?
MC5qcGc

This reminds me of Tougoku Fudou, author of the room isekai mangas and novels. First he lost interest in his first series How My Room Turned Into a Dungeon Rest Area and abandoned it. Then he made a spin off with the same premise in the same universe which he also lost interest in fairly quickly.

Dex-chan lover
I see others have already covered this subject in previous comments, but nonetheless.

Manga character reincarnating as a starving orphan in an isekai: "Hey, let's eat these specific edible plants. While we're at it, maybe I can make a water turbine to improve farming..." crowd gathers
Me if I reincarnated as a starving orphan in an isekai: dies faster, dumber, and more alone

Double-page supporter
Additionally the idea that a random guy knows more about foraging in an unknown region is ridiculous. The people that already living there their whole life will definitely know more than any foreigner.

There aren't many series where an isekaid character is using his modern world knowledge in a believable way. The only one that comes to mind is Ascendance of a Bookworm.

It's quite often an isekai author is writing about a topic he only has a rough idea about.

It doesn't matter if Ed knows more or less than the villagers about foraging, he is capitalizing on the idea that foraging is a way to supplement their food situation. The idea of foraging came from the memories of his previous life and it was something that those around him had not been successful with. In the storyline, Miinya states that their neighbor got sick from foraging (eating grass) and she didn't want to get sick. How Ed is different than his neighbors (besides being reincarnated) is that he has a unique skill called "appraisal" which allows him to identify the edible plants.

I feel that it is too early in the Manga to decide if he uses the knowledge from his previous life in a believable way. I think if I found myself in a similar situation and I had an appraisal skill I would have also tried my hand at foraging for food if I was poor and on an Iruka bean diet.

This.

It's the same thing which bother me when they recreate japanese food and everyone are like "it's SOOOO goood ! Wow nobody ever thought of putting rice, meat and some sauce before !"

It only works when the world building is poorly made.
But it seems that lot of people doesn't care too much about world building.

I'm not sure that the world-building is poorly made as we are only in the 1st chapter. So far what we have learned about this world is that:

8 years ago a city collapsed (we don't know the circumstances of why), but after the collapse, the surviving citizens moved to the outskirts of Tyre City forming the current slums now called Laniellda. Between Tyre City and Laniellda:
-There is a stark contrast between the buildings in the slums (wood makeshift houses) and Tyre City (Houses look to be made of wood and bricks).
-The roads in the slums are made of mud while in the city they appear to be made of cobblestone or brick.
-The City has guards and I haven't seen any in the slums.
-There is a store to sell Iruka beans and potions to the slum children for three coppers.

Note: If there is a Guild Hall, Town Hall, Library, or School where common knowledge can be shared we haven't seen or heard about that yet. We have also not been given an overview map of the area.

The citizens of Tyre City seem to give the slum children day jobs and allow them to work for a few copper coins, but not all the citizens of Tyre City are ok with hiring the children from the slums.
-The citizens of the slums wish to return to their former city.
-In the slums, there is a doctor (Miinyas Mom).
-Ed and Miinya were born in the slums.
-Ed lives with his Aunt and Uncle who are Miinya's mom and Dad.
-Black hair may also be a problem in Tyre City (Ed has black hair).
-The citizens in the slum are dressed appropriately (have worn out clothes or tattered clothes) for living in the slums while those in Tyre City are dressed in fairly nice attire probably significant to their jobs or social standing.

Note: Currently we haven't been told why the citizens of the collapsed city live in the slums instead of being absorbed into Tyre City. Possible reasons are:
-Accepting the refugees may be a strain on already limited resources
-Accepting the refugees could put a strain on local infrastructure and housing
-Accepting the refugees could harm the local economy and job security of its residents
-Accepting the refugees could cause geopolitical problems with surrounding countries or cities
-Accepting the refugees could fuel xenophobic attitudes and discrimination
-The refugees refuse to join Tyre City because they hope to return home someday
-The refugees refuse to join Tyre City because they feel that they would be treated unfairly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread