Shadows House (Official Colored) - Ch. 194 - Undercurrent

Dex-chan lover
I wonder how this new fact of mia the killer would be relevant later. She is the first friend emilyko had after she become aware of her duty in manor. Tragic future awaiting

And the failure of unification of lou is definitely a door for harder challenge to kate. If she can't stop the manor to producing new debutants, she would do the hindering of unification every time (unless she might be picky later). Of course this would make all of the adults notice how wrong it is in the children building

Dex-chan lover
One last epilogue to round off this arc, and man is there lots of shuffling across the board. Where to begin?

Sara and Mia
Nearly two weeks ago, I posted my speculation about Sara and Mia. What good timing for this chapter.

What I got rightWhat I got wrong
- Mia's brainwashing had worn off and sees her master as trash- Mia being exiled and wanting to earn back her family's love
- Needs to guide Sara so she'll do her job properly, so that both gain greater standing
- Collapse of the House won't be salvation in her eyes, so no place in human world for her, so she will willingly oppose Kate and Emilyko

When I first wrote my theories, I opted to reason her spanking as being a result of family punishment for inadequacy instead of something like child abuse, because the latter was too much of an easy answer for my liking. With Mia's claim that she "killed" her family though, the latter's chances have gotten more likely.

That said, it's still possible that she was of noble birth, was spanked as punishment, and she went into the House with the mindset of rising above the ranks. Furthermore, I've read enough stories to know that such claims of "kill" can range from deliberate murders to accidental deaths that one feels guilty for, so I'll keep possibilities open. For all we know, she might've wanted to live a better life by serving the Shadows House, but when an argument broke out, her family accidentally died in the heat of the moment (hit their head on a column or something).

I remain insistent that she's not some mastermind like Kate or Candy. Just a girl who sought a better life, got brainwashed, was living relatively blissfully until the effects recently wore off, and now will guide her "master" in such a way that she can reap better benefits and live more comfortably.

Either way, for those wishing for Sara to get her comeuppance, it's totally coming for her in all directions.

Edward
Judging from the slash wound on the body's throat, Maggie's corpse was used as the substitute after all. Just how did Anthony dig up both girls' bodies without anyone noticing their grave was disturbed?

And yet, with how careful Anthony is, he didn't bother to disguise the wound and left it visible, noticeable. As though he wants Edward to suspect the ritual was tampered with, but why draw suspicion on Lewis and Kate instead of letting Edward think it was his fault? I can't see the benefits outweighing the losses.

Regardless, given that Edward was no longer sweating after the panel with the wound, it's safe to say he noticed it. His insistence on not letting Lewis dispose of the corpse (under the pretence he'll get the Faceless to do it) must be because Edward actually wants to keep and investigate it further. More things to add to Shirley's next report.

Joseph
Kate really messed up by panicking and releasing soot.

As expected, at least some of the 3rd Floor guys hailed from the Mirrors House era. While I can see Joseph being family to Catherine (or at least close enough to one), I'm not sure if I buy that he's outright her husband/Kate's father.

In any case, it seems fortunate that he's not hostile to Kate, but I don't think he's an ally exactly. One way or another, Kate will be the one to do the heavy lifting.

Kate
It occurred to me that she's not only in position to not serve the Special Coffee to the children, but she has a chance to study it. With fresh samples under her management and Oliver on her side, perhaps she can get the Research Team to analyse its properties? Lydia's power would really help here.

You would think Kate's group would act more excited in front of the Great Grandfather, especially with how vigilant Edward is. The lack of enthusiasm would come off as suspicious.

As she says, this rescue operation was an act of defiance, there's no going back. A clash with the adults is coming soon, especially with the potential of chaos from the brainwashing wearing off for the children.

For preparations, she not only needs a more complete map of the Great Grandfather's Wing, but also the number of adults occupying it, plus their powers if possible. Unless she can prepare that much, it's a suicide march. But between Shirley being too scared to explore further and Anthony being untrustworthy, what else can we rely on?

Dex-chan lover
I wonder how this new fact of mia the killer would be relevant later. She is the first friend emilyko had after she become aware of her duty in manor. Tragic future awaiting
I bet her tale will be a foil to Emilyko's, and will be one of the last terminus of Emilyko's character arc.

One girl is an orphan and one girl had family, neither received kindness and affection in their old lives.
Both entered the House in hopes of a better life; both were brainwashed, forgot about their past sorrows and indeed started a possibly better life anew.
One met a good master with a contrasting personality who praises her and got along well
Another met a bad master with personalities alike, whom she feels inadequate towards and thus accepts scoldings and punishments.
One believes in others, found strength and clarity in community and improves herself for their sake.
Another can only believe in herself, becomes more isolatied (partly because her master is an arrogant but easy girl, and so easily strung along) and will likely regress.
One will fight of her free will against the House for the freedom of other children.
One will fight of her free will for the House to maintain her freedom.
Neither have their own place in the human world to return to at the end of it all. So where lies their peace and happiness outside?

We've seen throughout the story that Somato-sensei loves their parallels and contrasts, and Mia being one of the first characters introduced likely serves this aspect too.
Two similar characters who winded up different paths, where will their tales take them and how will they end? (Spoilers, Emilyko can of course visit Kate's home)

I can see one route where it's possible Emilyko can get through to Mia, after her side is totally defeated. Whether Mia lives through to the end, I'm unsure.
One thing is certain, Mia and Sara will reach a long-anticipated fallout.

Dex-chan lover
went to double check, Catherine is not the names of one of the shadow adults. I don't remember which chapter Kate's background is revealed, but it'd make sense of Kate was named after her mother.

Dex-chan lover
I have to reread this from first chapter. It became too convoluted for it's release pace.

Dex-chan lover
For those who forgot: Catherine ... is lady Catherine - aka Kate's mother. Joseph, therefore, is 99.99% Kate's FATHER, and no NOT the mimic ... Joseph is probably the shadow with "a human nature THAT emerged". Hypothesis: Grandfather "as mercy", possibly allowed him in the wing ( thinking he had no other relatives left ).

I wonder if Anthony really turned Christopher into "fragments of Christopher"...

Dex-chan lover
It has to be her father. Just look how smug he is, the same aura of smugness that is innate to Kate.
Also, it seem that Ed is not buying Lewis story.
Ed saw the neck slash obviously he won't buy that tale. Ed is already having trust issues left and right, and probably soon he will doubt his two "siblings".

Killed your- Sara!?!?!?
A long time ago I posed the question of where Sara's beating ritual "to allow her to grow" came from - because it seemed crazy to me with the general effect the soot has on the villagers that her family could have been so abusive as to instill that kind of mentality in her to the point that it got carried over to her behavior as a Living Doll. But if she seriously KILLED her family just for the opportunity of coming here, I HAVE to believe that they were that abusive. Because any other answer is frankly just increasingly more horrifying to consider...

Dex-chan lover
Killed your- Sara!?!?!?
A long time ago I posed the question of where Sara's beating ritual "to allow her to grow" came from - because it seemed crazy to me with the general effect the soot has on the villagers that her family could have been so abusive as to instill that kind of mentality in her to the point that it got carried over to her behavior as a Living Doll. But if she seriously KILLED her family just for the opportunity of coming here, I HAVE to believe that they were that abusive. Because any other answer is frankly just increasingly more horrifying to consider...
I think Sara is an abused child, so she used to those kinds of abuse. I also realized she knows her history so bad. The coffee, "grandfather's stool" was actually a medicine for her trauma.

Dex-chan lover
I think the only thing Mia will get is a neck slash...

I bet her tale will be a foil to Emilyko's, and will be one of the last terminus of Emilyko's character arc.

One girl is an orphan and one girl had family, neither received kindness and affection in their old lives.
Both entered the House in hopes of a better life; both were brainwashed, forgot about their past sorrows and indeed started a possibly better life anew.
One met a good master with a contrasting personality who praises her and got along well
Another met a bad master with personalities alike, whom she feels inadequate towards and thus accepts scoldings and punishments.
One believes in others, found strength and clarity in community and improves herself for their sake.
Another can only believe in herself, becomes more isolatied (partly because her master is an arrogant but easy girl, and so easily strung along) and will likely regress.
One will fight of her free will against the House for the freedom of other children.
One will fight of her free will for the House to maintain her freedom.
Neither have their own place in the human world to return to at the end of it all. So where lies their peace and happiness outside?

We've seen throughout the story that Somato-sensei loves their parallels and contrasts, and Mia being one of the first characters introduced likely serves this aspect too.
Two similar characters who winded up different paths, where will their tales take them and how will they end? (Spoilers, Emilyko can of course visit Kate's home)

I can see one route where it's possible Emilyko can get through to Mia, after her side is totally defeated. Whether Mia lives through to the end, I'm unsure.
One thing is certain, Mia and Sara will reach a long-anticipated fallout.

Dex-chan lover

And the failure of unification of lou is definitely a door for harder challenge to kate. If she can't stop the manor to producing new debutants, she would do the hindering of unification every time (unless she might be picky later). Of course this would make all of the adults notice how wrong it is in the children building
There are NOW two shadow pairs outside the house - Lou pair and the other one, who KNEW Anthony's secret.

Users who are viewing this thread