Skip and Loafer - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Mad Dash for Popularity Before Summer Break

Double-page supporter
Gretchen, stop trying to make "fetch" happen. It's not going to happen.

Also, that new girl looks like an interesting addition to the cast (but probably not too reoccurring)

Double-page supporter
Okay, am I the only one who doesn't know what fetch is? What was she trying to say???

Fed-Kun's army
Never commented before, but just wanted to say how much I enjoy your translations and your afterwords. This comic is fantastic, but I'm really here for the Mean Girl jokes, Mitch Hedberg references, and rants about typesetting that I don't understand. Thanks again for the translations!

Dex-chan lover
Kinda feel bad for Mika when she walked in on the two of them. But hey, now they can share the feelings with the arrival of this new girl.

Fed-Kun's army
Thank youuuuu
Omoyaa who's the new girlll
I reread the first chap and saw a long haired girl also.. is it the same girll????

Fed-Kun's army
"That be her?" in the original Japanese was "Sakki no hito yanokya!?" and Mika-chan replies sarcastically, "Nokyayo!" One of the examples where Mitsumi-chan's dialect sneaks out when she's surprised or excited.

@Melvin fetch means something cool/trendy

Thank you for the update! I dont mind if you put the translation next to the Japanese instead of redrawing it!

This series is so refreshing.

Thank you for your solo scanlation! It really looks like a real hard work, and it looks real fine to me, like a pro! It's easy to read too, thank you so much 💕

Aggregator gang
While I do think you're doing a fantastic job in general, some of those TL notes sure had an unnecessary keikaku tinge to them. Any time you have to explain a loanword should raise an automatic red flag. "Madonna" too ambiguous? Fine, use "diva", no need to cling to the original katakana term if that's what it was. Sensei means "master" in this context ? Just go with "master" then.

It's a good rule of thumb that if it feels like you're putting too much effort into explaining a regular word, then that's exactly what it is. It's odd that you translate slang and dialects so effortlessly (again, great job there) but trip up on the basic stuff.

Group Leader
page 16 has an error! looks like the text was pasted twice or something :3 love this manga, keep up the great work!!

Fed-Kun's army
@moozooh

I get what you're saying, but Madonna isn't diva. Diva in colloquial English has a negative connotation whereas Madonna does not, except perhaps as a reference to the pop artist.

And my translation philosophy is that I use the loanwords as they are, even if they mean something slightly different. Because it's an aspect of culture, of how words can change and evolve when borrowed into a different culture. For example, I wouldn't translate "Mazon"/Maison (in Maison Ikkoku) as mansion or house. I'd leave it as Maison and explain it. Because I'm not pretending that this is happening in Nebraska somewhere. I don't try to make everything seamless as if it's always been English. I leave a bit of flavor in it even if it makes it flow a little awkwardly.

Dex-chan lover
I dislike the cliché timing with the "rival" appearing just at the right time when some progress is happening.
Mitsumi was so wonderful in this chapter and this managed to spoiling everything in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread