Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 7 Ch. 58 - Serie's Instincts

Dex-chan lover
“What is wrong with the examinees this year?”

Well if you’d given two thoughts about your exam structure and how they are very likely to pass an overly-competitive psychopaths and murderers, maybe you wouldn’t have been so surprised.

Then again, maybe it’s just the weirdos that she was surprised about

Dex-chan lover
“What is wrong with the examinees this year?”

Well if you’d given two thoughts about your exam structure and how they are very likely to pass an overly-competitive psychopaths and murderers, maybe you wouldn’t have been so surprised.

Then again, maybe it’s just the weirdos that she was surprised about
How could you so obviously misinterpret every single thing that you were talking about?

She said "What is wrong with the examinees this year?" because she was surprised at just how many of them fit her own criteria.

She didn't even design the first two tests. She left that up to the first-class mages that were running them. She only aided them with her magic, such as setting up the barrier for the first test.
Also, every test is completely different from the rest, year to year, so the "kinds of people" that are likely to pass vary somewhat (though not much).

And the basis of your argument is completely ridiculous, because "overly-competitive psychopaths and murderers" are pretty much the exact kind of people she wants, in the first place.

Dex-chan lover
How could you so obviously misinterpret every single thing that you were talking about?

She said "What is wrong with the examinees this year?" because she was surprised at just how many of them fit her own criteria.

She didn't even design the first two tests. She left that up to the first-class mages that were running them. She only aided them with her magic, such as setting up the barrier for the first test.
Also, every test is completely different from the rest, year to year, so the "kinds of people" that are likely to pass vary somewhat (though not much).

And the basis of your argument is completely ridiculous, because "overly-competitive psychopaths and murderers" are pretty much the exact kind of people she wants, in the first place.
While she might not have designed the tests, she would be very much aware how deadly it would be. Just an example but the barrier she sat up for the first test was shown to completely isolate the area to the point that water access becomes a concern to the participants. As in dying of thirst concern.

Now, I have realised that despite this, she still signed off on the second test, which probably have almost the opposite philosophy compared to the first so maybe she kinda don’t care?

Also, the comment was kinda to make fun of her apathy towards human since a normal person would take the “What’s wrong with you people” to imply the psychos and killers, instead serial-headpatter and I’ll-have-the-Tide-pod-spell-please.

But yeah, from your last point, I can see you that you agree too since that’s basically my last sentence but phrases more clearly so thank, ig.

Double-page supporter
Barely any words needed with Ubel, those pages go hard. She came in, saw herself killing Serie on the spot, and Serie passed her immediately because of that bloodthirst (which was probably mutual), whew. I wonder how that fight would actually go.

Lmfao the comedy is this series is just too good, everyone passing outside of Fern and Denken are either weirdos or complete psychopaths. Land and Methode especially got me, like, bro isn’t even within 50 miles 😂 the audacity of my guy

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I feel like she was looking for people with either insane talent like Fern or people who would take on an insurmountable challenge, if need be, like Denken

Edit: also glasses wasn't even in the city :kek:
but wasn't the whole point of their convo that he wouldn't actually take her on? both him and wirbel were like "yeah, i can't actually fight her", but i guess they got credit for even considering it

Dex-chan lover
i'm still salty that frieren didn't pass just because serie is a petty piece of shit lmao. i guess it doesn't matter to her very much, especially since fern's got one, but she deserved it dammit!!!

i find it weird that serie's criteria for passing are literally just "are they crazy enough to even briefly think about fighting me" or "are they amusing".

i also wonder if wilber is really as cynical as he acted. the kind of guy he is, i don't know if he truly sees magic as only for killing

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i'm still salty that frieren didn't pass just because serie is a petty piece of shit lmao. i guess it doesn't matter to her very much, especially since fern's got one, but she deserved it dammit!!!

i find it weird that serie's criteria for passing are literally just "are they crazy enough to even briefly think about fighting me" or "are they amusing".

i also wonder if wilber is really as cynical as he acted. the kind of guy he is, i don't know if he truly sees magic as only for killing
Serie has a bad personality, and is so old and powerful that she doesn't care about anything and anyone.
So yeah, most people there were not accepted because she was a petty little bitch way to full of herself...

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if there were any other mages who could tell he wasn't actually at the exam, but didn't say anything cuz they don't care enough to bring it up. Ubel and Fern were the only ones to interact with him at length, but it seems both of them didn't know.

Dex-chan lover
You can tell me what you want but Frieren not passing's gotta be a joke.
Ultimately it doesn't matter and her selection procedure honestly seemed to be pretty arbitrary but oh well.
Also that double magic's pretty interesting, I wonder what the limitations are...

Users who are viewing this thread