Tag for single page chapters?

Dex-chan lover
Not too much of a problem but I’m not a fan of series that have just one page as a chapter. I think a tag for it wouldn’t hurt.

ESP now a days people seem to be uploading one page from an artists Twitter and calling it a “one-shot”

I don’t think that’s too much of an ask tbh.

I’m not saying these things are bad, but I’m just not a fan and it’s hard to tell from a glance without just clicking on it.

Upvote 31
Custom title
Staff
Developer
If we're worried about tag overlap, how about Isekai and Fantasy? Not all Fantasy is Isekai, but the overwhelming majority of Isekai is Fantasy, almost to the point that it makes Isekai pointless as a genre.
Yes, I agree. Isekai should probably be categorized as a theme instead of a genre. The problem isn't so much overlap between different categories, but certain tags being near-perfect subsets of others within the same category.

There's tons of other examples of tags with just as much, if not more, overlap than Web Comic and Twitter. Villainess and Reincarnation, Romance and Drama, Wuxia and Martial Arts, Monsters and Zombies, etc.
Taking a quick look at these pairings using the search, the only one that actually seems to have fairly large overlap relative to its size is Wuxia with Martial Arts, but since those are different categories it's fine.

If you find proper subsets, let me know so I can advocate for a rework or removal of those tags.

Dex-chan lover
Not too much of a problem but I’m not a fan of series that have just one page as a chapter. I think a tag for it wouldn’t hurt.

ESP now a days people seem to be uploading one page from an artists Twitter and calling it a “one-shot”

I don’t think that’s too much of an ask tbh.

I’m not saying these things are bad, but I’m just not a fan and it’s hard to tell from a glance without just clicking on it.
It's not just Twitter comics. For example, all 953 "chapters" of Tomo-chan is a Girl! are a single page. I'll be the first to admit it's an edge case, but it is annoying to have the site's chapter load functionality run on every single page when reading it on MD; totally defeats the purpose of having pages preloaded. Some of the aggregator sites just went ahead and posted multiple "chapters" as 20-30 "chapter" blocks.

But like I said, edge case, and not a common issue.

Maybe instead of adding a tag, you could calculate the average page per chapter of a manga for all existing and future mangas and add a filter for that.
With this, if I wanted to read mangas with at least 10 pages in average per chapter, I could filter for those mangas.

This probably is not a perfect solution, but maybe a nice trade off.
But not sure how difficult it would be on the technical side to implement this feature.

Contributor
This doesn't disagree with what I said. What I meant is that the Venn diagram of "Short chapters" would fit almost entirely inside "Web comic", which is a problem because we want to avoid adding tags that basically by default come with another tag. That's just poor design.
The problem is that almost all manhwas fall into the web comic tag too along with stuff like spellcross, all of those ARE NOT tiny 1-5 image non-panel pages. The issue being the expectations of what a title you see is not adequately reflected in a general tag like that. If you see a 4-koma tag you know that the series is drastically different than a standard series which is drastically different than an anthology series, which is also different than a one shot. A tag is useful to set expectations of what a group of something is, in this case types of comics. I would argue that technically a 1 page would not even be considered a chapter in the context of a story and they would be better off changed to decimals.

Last edited:
Custom title
Staff
Developer
The problem is that almost all manhwas fall into the web comic tag too along with stuff like spellcross, all of those ARE NOT tiny 1-5 image non-panel pages.
Yes, obviously I know. "One-page" being a subset of "Webcomic" doesn't imply that all webcomics are one-page, it only implies the opposite.

My point is that Webcomic would become dead weight as a category name for just about everything that is One-page. You'd have to search for "include Webcomic, exclude One-page" when what we'd really want in that case would be more like a separate "More-than-one-page-webcomic" tag, whatever that would actually be called. In other words, in a case like this we'd want to split the tag in two, not just add a new one.

Contributor
Yes, obviously I know. "One-page" being a subset of "Webcomic" doesn't imply that all webcomics are one-page, it only implies the opposite.

My point is that Webcomic would become dead weight as a category name for just about everything that is One-page. You'd have to search for "include Webcomic, exclude One-page" when what we'd really want in that case would be more like a separate "More-than-one-page-webcomic" tag, whatever that would actually be called. In other words, in a case like this we'd want to split the tag in two, not just add a new one.
I thought webcomic was more a descriptor of a comic that's primary release is online? They are often never released via a physical medium, but sometimes can if proved to be popular enough.

Maybe what is needed is just a "Short Form" tag? It seems like potentially a lot of backend work to try and manage how many pages something is, especially when you talk about how manhwas can end up broken into say 8 very long pages or 40+ standard pages.

If we were talking dev time I would massively rather see a local filtering solution. My solution on that is much more crude(ublock on the images)

Staff
Super Moderator
If we're worried about tag overlap, how about Isekai and Fantasy? Not all Fantasy is Isekai, but the overwhelming majority of Isekai is Fantasy, almost to the point that it makes Isekai pointless as a genre. Unless you're trying to exclude it to search for non-Isekai Fantasy, which is basically what a "Short" or similar tag would allow us to exclude from Web Comic.
More examples :aquadrink::
  • there is no promo tag, which makes it quite impossible to find korean oneshot's with all these oneshot manhwa promos (it's impossible to filter them out :aquadrink:)
  • full color and official colored

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I thought webcomic was more a descriptor of a comic that's primary release is online? They are often never released via a physical medium, but sometimes can if proved to be popular enough.
It is, yes. My point here is like... imagine if someone started demanding a "Released on Twitter" tag. All titles with that tag would automatically also get a Webcomic tag, pretty much by definition, so it's a weird situation where the presence of one tag always demands another. Or, like, having "Romantic comedy" as a tag, automatically demanding both "Romance" and "Comedy". This just sounds like tag misdesign to me.

• full color and official colored
Official colored refers specifically to works that were originally released in black and white but were colored after the fact, while Full color includes works that were colored to begin with. Good point, though, we should probably consider removing Full color from all titles with the Official/Fan-colored tags and make it only refer to originally colored works.

Contributor
It is, yes. My point here is like... imagine if someone started demanding a "Released on Twitter" tag. All titles with that tag would automatically also get a Webcomic tag, pretty much by definition, so it's a weird situation where the presence of one tag always demands another. Or, like, having "Romantic comedy" as a tag, automatically demanding both "Romance" and "Comedy". This just sounds like tag misdesign to me.

Official colored refers specifically to works that were originally released in black and white but were colored after the fact, while Full color includes works that were colored to begin with. Good point, though, we should probably consider removing Full color from all titles with the Official/Fan-colored tags and make it only refer to originally colored works.
Ya, there is definitely a blindspot with all these single page/few page series. I found this one a bit ago and fixed the tags, just another single page getting posted. I do agree there is no point creating jointed tags like romantic comedy when the two tags do the job as not all romance has comedy. With that as an example, that is exactly why I think there needs to be a separation for these short form series from the standard web comic. I would definitely say anything under 10 manga sized pages would be outside the norm with consideration of a short form tag and anything 5 or less is 100% short form.
jM2G81Q.png

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I didn't know but apparently this is already enforced on the frontend, there's just old invalid data left over.

Staff
Super Moderator
I didn't know but apparently this is already enforced on the frontend, there's just old invalid data left over.
Good point, though, we should probably consider removing Full color from all titles with the Official/Fan-colored tags and make it only refer to originally colored works
Yeah. And new titles (mostly manhwa and lots of manhua) with Official Colored instead of Full Color. It's slowly being cleaned up.
Official colored refers specifically to works that were originally released in black and white but were colored after the fact, while Full color includes works that were colored to begin with.
Yeah but the tag is so... specific. I already told this brave on Discord, but if those two tags are so specific, then I really don't get why a Twicomic and promo/pre-serialization tag is a problem to add.
brave's reason why there is no promo tag is "language:korean tag:oneshot", but isn't it the same with official colored when you can just tag:"full color" -tag:"fan colored"?
this can go the other way around too, that the fan colored tag is unessecary.
Not to speak of all those promo/pre-serialization that aren't oneshot's and are impossible to filter out. All those titles have (Promo) and (Pre-Serialization) in the title because, among other things, users don't want to read them and want to filter them out.

Last edited:
Custom title
Staff
Developer
Yeah but the tag is so... specific. I already told this brave on Discord, but if those two tags are so specific, then I really don't get why a Twicomic and promo/pre-serialization tag is a problem to add.
I don't know in how many more ways I can describe the subset thing

Are you guys just not reading what I say

but isn't it the same with official colored when you can just tag:"full color" -tag:"fan colored"?
But this is exactly the reason why Full color is getting cleaned

You can't use it as an example of "isn't it fine to do this when this is happening elsewhere too" when the thing that is happening elsewhere is explicitly blocked and considered bad data

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread