Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - Vol. 9 Ch. 42 - King Gazelle's Invitation (Part 2)

Dex-chan lover
Shion's cooking?
zRDKT6R.png

Okay, Rimuru poison immune skill is going to reach god level in no time's

Dex-chan lover
Regarding the king's advice, you have to take into account that Rimuru's idea of a leader is that of a democratic one like a president, who is supposed to be subservient to the will of the people and should be humble. Not to mention that japanese society promotes politeness and humility to extreme levels.

Meanwhile, Gazelle's idea of a leader is that of an absolute one, who answers to no one (or in some cases to some sort of deity) and needs to be seen as strong and matchless, since otherwise he risks being betrayed by his own subjects. Not to mention that this world clearly holds a "might makes right" mentality, where people mostly bow to the strong.

So it's not like his advice was that bad, it fits the logic of that world. It's just that Rimuru's style of leadership is completely different and it works for the kind of society he seeks to create. He also has no reason to fear betrayal since his subordinates chose to follow him and he is extremely powerful anyway.

It's also worth mentioning that the story itself points out that Gazielle's style of leadership has left him feeling isolated since the constant need to put up a strong front means he can't form meaningful relationships with pretty much anyone.

Dex-chan lover
Rimuru deserves that for cheating with other boobrest ?

Two points to mention.

1. As Acolytus said, this is very true with regards to their respective ruling styles and what their specific goals are. Gazelle IS right though in that he does need to "toughen up", not necessarily in regards to his OWN people, but more the neighboring ones. This bites him in the ass REALLY hard in a later arc.

2. The reason they're awkward I think is do to him having "Harem" as a skill I beleive. Not sure if it's that he gains it much later, or if it's something he already has...Which would explain why EVERYONE regardless of gender feels attracted to his human form.

Dex-chan lover
In a setting where a single person can fight an entire country, you don't have to be worried about coups if you are strong enough. Just look at Milim she "playfully" destroys nations and gets away with it, that is incredibly domineering but she is strong enough to take on the combined powers of her underlings. I'm not saying Rimuru is at that stage of strength yet, but it is important to remember, that in these fantasy settings with super powers and magic, the most important guarantee of survival is not money, military power or influence but raw personal power.

Hmm I like the merchant he is, with selling the alcohol via a trusted lady.

Dex-chan lover
@Superioreos: Actually the most important guarantee of survival is plot armor.

@Kisato: All isekai have the same fate, they go down the drain sooner or later. There's a limit to how entertaining a premise based on wish-fulfillment can be.

Dex-chan lover
@Superioreos: Basically as long as you're not a MC in a work from G. R. R. Martin you're pretty safe even if you're useless and weak as fuck.
Note that throughout the story enemies for Rimuru are introduced in such an order so that he is able to handle them (this is not a coincidence btw, it's due to the plot armor effect - he's basically given mostly conflicts that he can benefit from). There are definitely stronger beings than our slime at the current stage versus which his raw personal power is useless. So while I do agree that raw personal power has its role, it can only get you so far in this premise. In this case his interpersonal relationships are a lot more important. Imagine if he had gotten on Milim's bad side, the manga would have probably ended a few chapters ago. I believe that was the main idea of the people commenting on this matter regarding Gazelle's advice.

@criver

Basically as long as you're not a MC in a work from G. R. R. Martin you're pretty safe even if you're useless and weak as fuck.

Gosh, I don't know why a lot a people think R. R. Martin is the only one who can let his MCs die. Don't get me wrong, plot armor is strong in most cases but there is a LOT of manga and novel authors who use/used a main character death as step stone for the story before and after R. R. Martin. In fact most of playwrights and seinen authors did/do that ^^

Dex-chan lover
@dAklej: People use R. R. Martin as an example because he's famous enough such that others would get the reference.
And I recommend against comparing manga/light novel authors to actual authors, the difference in skill and quality is enormous in general. Additionally, killing off a character doesn't make your work good automatically, it should be a logical consequence of the plot, and not simply being done for shock value. If you have any good seinen works/authors that illustrate your point, I'd be more than willing to learn of those.

killing off a character doesn't make your work good automatically, it should be a logical consequence of the plot, and not simply being done for shock value.

I totally agree with you on that . And I never said otherwise :)
If you want me to recommend some manga I need to know at least what kind of manga you like? Killing "MCs" is a bit vague as point reference, it can be done at various scale in number and in time. Even the definition of the MCs in a story can be done at various range by the author and by the reader, Game Of Thrones is a good example for that.
Only taking in consideration the "importance" of the deaths/deads and number, Claymore, Vinland Saga or Kamisama No Iiutoru could be good examples if you want to compare to GoT on that point.

As for comparing manga/light novel authors to "actual" novelist that's not really the point. You can objectively say someone, being a novelist or mangaka/manhwaga, is a great author in terms of story telling or narration. However I don't think you can compare skill or quality here, being a mangaka or a novelist take different skills and both works have different kind of publication or work environment. It's the same as comparing a picture and a painting or a photograph and a painter for me.
I'm what you can call a "voracious reader" and even if I love french/english literature I wouldn't dare say authors such as Kazuo Koike, Takehiko Inoue or Naoki Urasawa aren't as good or skilled in their genre than some classic authors. But it would be pointless and subjective to compare them.

Who do they think they are for restricting Rimuru? Rimuru really should toughen up.

Fed-Kun's army
Seeing these two being all punishing to Rimuru made me missed Milim. Milim was a pure cinnamon roll that doesn't go against Rimuru and would listen to what he says (despite how much she wants to punch/kill someone).

Users who are viewing this thread