Tensei Shite High Elf ni Narimashitaga, Slow Life wa 120-nen de Akimashita - Ch. 28

Dex-chan lover
I didn't read the last chapter's forum so I missed the fact that we were doing the four cardinal gods until I saw the cat and the turtle. But it's interesting to see the white tiger get "downgraded" to a friendlier-looking cat. Maybe the dragon will similarly be a friendly blue fish.

Dex-chan lover
I can tell MC is already proficient at sniffing out troublesome things.

On the other hand, am I the only one that thinks that MC being a reincarnated otherworlder is completely inconsequential to the story? He could have been just an anomaly among elves, one that wanted to explored the world, and the story would not have to be changed at all.
Absolutely not. It's not about willingness to explore, it comes down to already having experience with having a mortal life, and how that colors the wisdom he employs. Aesir is fundamentally different from someone like Frieren because he does get a lot of concerns that other people have, and that's not something he'd get even spending another hundred years as an "outsider".

While a reincarnation story from within the world would be possible, it shifts the theme of the story significantly towards attachments to past life, and can cheapen the people he meets in the here and now.

Dex-chan lover
I never thought the topic of Kaushman's human lifespan would be dropped so casually.
I guess every death won't be so dramatic nor will it have a big focus, it'll just happen. Fitting, but man, kinda hurts.

Also, unless I misunderstood, Ancient One is just the OG term to call High Elves, right?

Dex-chan lover
I can tell MC is already proficient at sniffing out troublesome things.

On the other hand, am I the only one that thinks that MC being a reincarnated otherworlder is completely inconsequential to the story? He could have been just an anomaly among elves, one that wanted to explored the world, and the story would not have to be changed at all.

This is a great story, but it is a shitty isekai; it really doesn't do anything with that premise at all. It would have been perfectly fine as just a standard fantasy story, but sometimes you gotta chase the trends to get your story noticed.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't all hermits considered evil abominations contrary to and corrupting nature, in high-elf lore? Surprised he isn't more guarded. Especially as his only experience with hermits is that vampire guy he had to kill. Same regarding her, surprised she isn't more guarded, considering he's from a species that has all grown up indoctrinated against hermits.

Also unsure why he is going on about "real" and "phony" hermits. Was there such a distinction?

Aggregator gang
This talk about ancients and hermits makes me wonder how old Aesir is now. I feel like he hasn't been away from home for more than a hundred years yet.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't all hermits considered evil abominations contrary to and corrupting nature, in high-elf lore? Surprised he isn't more guarded. Especially as his only experience with hermits is that vampire guy he had to kill. Same regarding her, surprised she isn't more guarded, considering he's from a species that has all grown up indoctrinated against hermits.

Also unsure why he is going on about "real" and "phony" hermits. Was there such a distinction?
No, back in chapter 17, Aesir explained that hermits can gain strength by drawing on the power of nature to eventually become immortal -- a task that can take "countless" years and that most are unable to accomplish.

An alternative (heretical) method would be to consume the lives of other humanoids. Hermits that do this are (in this story) labeled as shamans, incubi/succubi, or vampires, depending on their method of consumption.

Presumably, "real" vs "phony" here is referring to hermits that draw on nature vs hermits that consume lives.

Users who are viewing this thread