The Convenience Store Lady That I've Loved Since Middle School - Ch. 0

pg 1, "like buy" -> "like to buy"

"I'm sure you you have" -> says "you" twice.

Double-page supporter
@PianoConspiracy
That depends on which city they are living in Japan, mind you.

If it's somewhere like Tokyo or such, that's not enough in many sense, no.
But if it's some smaller city, that's actually a good pay for anyone to live with some abandon in their life. That's the funny thing. In Chigoku, Fukuoka, where I went for graduates stury, it's really not hard at all. I could get by relatively well just on the scholarship and without part times. And yes, that includes some luxury too.

The thing is, she's making 220k yen a month, despite being 24. That's like, just gradutated and got a good paying job in a white company where she is still going to get higher in ranks and pay rates. That's totally promising, in very sense of the word, no matter where they are.

Not to mention there are several civil supports they can appeal to in order to raise a child age 7-10. I know this since I do know some civil office workers. I never heard of the details, but there seems to be enough to not worry too much about at least, basic education for the child.

Might just be me, being someone with little needs. But 220k a month is something to be jealous of. Especially when the one making that much is only 24.

Dex-chan lover
Huh... So at 16 she tumbled with someone who left her and it took 10 years for her to give in...
I don't know what's more surprising of the two...

Edit: I'm also surprised that the item lineup didn't change in 10 years... Except the colors for the water and soda... Oh and the adverts changed.

@Yankun

Perhaps some context would be nice here. You say that 220k yen (lets say it in USD, $2090 a month) is a large sum for someone fresh out of college. In the United states, minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. This is not a living wage by any standard and usually if a minimum wage job is your only job and you cannot earn tips you'd be just above the poverty line before taxes. 40 hours a week, 52 weeks in a month so, $7.25*40*52 or $15,080 a year/12 gives you $1256.66 a month. Now an extra $800 dollars a month is nothing to sniff at, but considering that the average yearly wage of someone leaving college in the united states is $48,400, or $4033.33 dollars a month, you can understand why we'd say that sum of money is low.

This is purely from the context of someone living in the United States. Maybe you can buy more with that same amount of money in Japan, but assuming that she lives in a metropolitan center, its probably close to the global average, if not near its peak. In fact https://www.worlddata.info/cost-of-living.php implies that the cost of living is very very similar to that of someone in the United States. (100, vs 106 on the index).

@PianoConspiracy I don't know, these numbers are pretty weird, for example in your cost of living table people living in Cayman Islands should be all poor (and I don't think they are).
In Italy the average salary for an office worker is around 1500€/month (1600USD), that 2800$ of average income is a weird number that has no sense of being used because, from how it's calculated https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php , it skews the average way up.
Also the wage in US is calculated pre or post taxes? Because in many countries when someone says wage is what they get after taxes (because those are paid before they get the check).
The girl also says she has a great house so we may assume she's not renting, and that's a HUGE part of people's expenses.

I have nothing against you, it's just that I don't like how these sites use/make averages because context matters a lot in calculating wealth and they make it like it's negligible.

@karmsand If you like you can do the research yourself but the Cayman islands' cost of living being so high with the salary so low has a very simple explanation. Almost all of the Cayman islands' revenue comes from tourism. As such their prices are for the most part catered to the wealthy, with the people actually living there not making very much. As you can see the only other price of living comparable to that is Bermuda, another tourist location. You can discount those two as well as the virgin islands as outliers and start working from Switzerland. Wage is calculated pre tax if measured annually, and this is true for any economic measurement, though I agree that she may be talking about her actual paycheck in the manga which could be post tax. If she owns a house at the age of 24, assuming she left college at 22, she most likely is paying a mortgage which is comparable to rent, and then we'd also have to include the costs of maintaining a house, the increased cost of utilities compared to an apartment, home insurance, residence/homeowner association fees (uncertain if this is a thing in Japan tbh), and more. A house will very rarely be cheaper than an apartment on a month to month basis in the first 5 years after purchasing.

You can dislike the site if you like but its based on very solid and internationally acknowledged sources: https://data.oecd.org/price/price-level-indices.htm, https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Comparative_price_levels_of_consumer_goods_and_services, https://www.imf.org/external/index.htm

Do you see that? The magic words for women is how much money you have, and how much you make.

Sorry not sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread