The One Within the Villainess - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - The Demon King Angel

Dex-chan lover
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I'm a bit confused WRT the acceptance of demons, here.

We know humans know about demons, and that they have to live in hiding because of it, like the merchant. A chap or two ago we had Remilia reveal some demons specifically to an eccentric, because she knew he'd be willing to accept them.

But in this chapter, it explains that they're showing the demons in full on stage, and are just presenting them as an "ethnic minority called the demon race". Is this using a different term for "demon" in the raw or something? It seems like they're just completely outing the demons at this point and everyone's cool with it, but it also sounds like they're just presenting them as some unrelated 3rd party minority to trick humans into not thinking they're the demons from the miasma-infested land (despite their non-human features and still calling them the "demon race")?

Dex-chan lover
Isekai authors are not known for their intellect. Which is why every single one introduces the same exact "innovations" to the place they are sent to. Innovations that often have existed for thousands of years on our planet, and make zero sense for them to not already have. I've seen Isekai Protags introduce water pumps and pulley and lever systems into worlds that are late medieval era, when those have existed since BCE on Earth. So either the planets they are going to are beyond stupid, or the Isekai authors are, guess which gets my vote?
Tbh i have an automatic system where my brain just turned off if any of that said invention being introduced in isekai manga ( except dr.stone and others )

Dex-chan lover
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I'm a bit confused WRT the acceptance of demons, here.

We know humans know about demons, and that they have to live in hiding because of it, like the merchant. A chap or two ago we had Remilia reveal some demons specifically to an eccentric, because she knew he'd be willing to accept them.

But in this chapter, it explains that they're showing the demons in full on stage, and are just presenting them as an "ethnic minority called the demon race". Is this using a different term for "demon" in the raw or something? It seems like they're just completely outing the demons at this point and everyone's cool with it, but it also sounds like they're just presenting them as some unrelated 3rd party minority to trick humans into not thinking they're the demons from the miasma-infested land (despite their non-human features and still calling them the "demon race")?

Demons have been creatures of legend, for the vast majority of the people. Think of it something like the depiction of a vampire in traditional folklore. Human enough to deceive you, but monsters at heart.
Now imagine that vampires only turned to blood-sucking because a disease native to Transylvania affected how they could get iron and gave them a sunlight allergy the way certain ticks can give you a red meat allergy, and some doctor was able to come through and eradicate the disease. Could they still suck your blood? Yeah, sure. But they're not naturally inclined to do so, and they want to erase the stigma surrounding them so they can live where they please without being lynched.

On top of this, the play is, so far, only in land Remilia has some measure of control and influence in, whether it be the allies she gathered last chapter, or farms near the land she rules over. She has a much greater ability to guide the narrative, and spread the word that, essentially, the old legends are just slander from a time when the two peoples were actually at war.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh i have an automatic system where my brain just turned off if any of that said invention being introduced in isekai manga ( except dr.stone and others )
Almost always the right move, whenever they get to talking about innovations or food etc. if it's not something that the place they are in should have discovered 1000 years before, all the details on how it works are wrong or incomplete. I wish I could just ignore it, would probably make reading isekai in general a lot less annoying for me.

Double-page supporter
I'm not convinced by this chapter... Crop rotation already existed in ancient Egypt. It was the number of fields (two, three or even four) and the specific crops grown on each that were refined from the Middle Ages onwards.

The last boom was the introduction of synthetic fertilisers.

In Remilia's world, you should already know a minimum crop rotation to sustain the population of these cities/kingdoms. The magically produced synthetic fertilisers would be revolutionary though.
Because this world was from the game, the setting was intentional made it to have magic but lack knowledge of farming just so the star maiden can show off her idea and become special.

Dex-chan lover
I'm not convinced by this chapter... Crop rotation already existed in ancient Egypt. It was the number of fields (two, three or even four) and the specific crops grown on each that were refined from the Middle Ages onwards.

The last boom was the introduction of synthetic fertilisers.

In Remilia's world, you should already know a minimum crop rotation to sustain the population of these cities/kingdoms. The magically produced synthetic fertilisers would be revolutionary though.
Thank you, I was about to comment this.
Crop rotation is ancient, the real advent in recent human history is synthetic fertilisers, we don't need to mine for guano to treat soil that lacks nitrogen.

Dex-chan lover
The angelic smile of the devil. Chef kiss

bFTvSAk.jpg

And I wonder whether the "musical" was the... Takarazuka Revue. Either way, it's nice to see that it wasn't another idol performance.

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
Demons have been creatures of legend, for the vast majority of the people. Think of it something like the depiction of a vampire in traditional folklore. Human enough to deceive you, but monsters at heart.
Now imagine that vampires only turned to blood-sucking because a disease native to Transylvania affected how they could get iron and gave them a sunlight allergy the way certain ticks can give you a red meat allergy, and some doctor was able to come through and eradicate the disease. Could they still suck your blood? Yeah, sure. But they're not naturally inclined to do so, and they want to erase the stigma surrounding them so they can live where they please without being lynched.

On top of this, the play is, so far, only in land Remilia has some measure of control and influence in, whether it be the allies she gathered last chapter, or farms near the land she rules over. She has a much greater ability to guide the narrative, and spread the word that, essentially, the old legends are just slander from a time when the two peoples were actually at war.
Hm, yeah alright I guess I buy that, thanks.

Aggregator gang
There is crop rotation and crop rotation.

The idea of crop rotation doesn't mean that it will produce meaningful results if you use the wrong plants. In fact, original crop-rotation often meant that you will leave half of your land fallow, or abandon it after you farm on it for a prolonged period of time (several years). Even today a lot of the world works on a slash-and-burn system.

So while "crop rotation" was known already in ancient Egypt, the particular form of crop rotation was evolving. Even today, choosing a particular mix of crops / variety of crops, and farming practices to maximize production is prolonged and highly experimental process. What works somewhere doesn't have to work a few kilometers away because the climate and spol are different.

And yet, you will see a lot of what seems to be superior practices not spreading, or spreading slowly than expected, because farming is a naturally conservative profession. Especially when you are small farmer, which majority of people used to be in past, you usually have only a small plot of land that is barely able to feed you and changing drastically practices on your field means you are risking starvation if said practices won't work.
In addition, this kind of experimental approach is quite modern or something that was available only to a small section of educated, which rarely were interested in farming.
To add to this, nowadays people learned the result of thousands years of knowledge in schools. Particularly the thing about legumes. Imagine having no idea about what nitrogen and nitrogen-fixating plants are, or that it turns out to be an important micronutrient that is often limiting. You are essentially riding blind and figuring out that legumes help is blind luck.

Users who are viewing this thread