[Forums] The ping @ function doesn't work anymore.

Group Leader
Just realized that the @ function doesn't work anymore. I've had Sterven pinging me twice in his thread tonight and I never received a bell notification. https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/new-avatar.900369/page-6

So the bell only notifies you if someone quotes or reacts to you, or replies to a thread you created. Strange, because just a few days ago, I still received notification from Panda when he pinged me. Unless Sterven was pulling some troll shenanigans, the ping function is broken, somehow.
096.gif

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
When you type the @ symbol and start typing, there should be a little popup with username suggestions like this @Mr_Detective

p7g07t.png

Depending on if the forum is fast for you or has some hiccups, it might not find it. So make sure that thing works and you @ the correct username.

The surefire way to notify someone is quoting them, which seems to always work, whereas the @ mention is indeed spotty somehow. Once we can guarantee a better performance on the forum servers i'll investigate it if its still not going through.

Dex-chan lover
When you type the @ symbol and start typing, there should be a little popup with username suggestions like this @Mr_Detective

p7g07t.png

Depending on if the forum is fast for you or has some hiccups, it might not find it. So make sure that thing works and you @ the correct username.

The surefire way to notify someone is quoting them, which seems to always work, whereas the @ mention is indeed spotty somehow. Once we can guarantee a better performance on the forum servers i'll investigate it if its still not going through.
First ping was a copy paste so I didn't check for the popup but can confirm the second @ was done via the popup and still no dice.

@Mr_Detective
Just to make sure if you're still not receiving the notifications.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
First ping was a copy paste so I didn't check for the popup but can confirm the second @ was done via the popup and still no dice.
Yep, as I just now could confirm, quotes are a safe bet for getting notified, i'll look into the @ mention thing. No promises tho

Group Leader

@Mr_Detective
Just to make sure if you're still not receiving the notifications.

Sorry, but still no dice. The only notification I received was from rdn.

rdn mentioned you in a post in the thread The ping @ function doesn't work anymore.

Nothing from sterven.

One more thing: I have this thread on watch, but still received no notification that sterven and rdn had replied. I should have received a notification like this:

Teddy replied to the thread Football Discussion.. There may be more posts after this.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
Sorry, but still no dice. The only notification I received was from rdn.

Nothing from sterven.

One more thing: I have this thread on watch, but still received no notification that sterven and rdn had replied. I should have received a notification like this:
I upped the notification alerts limit for the default usergroup a bit, I'm not sure what the effect is but maybe that helps a bit, report back if things improve or not

Dex-chan lover
I wasn't sure if the software allowed for customization needed to sort the alerts by category
to put the more passive "Just thought you'd wanna know" type notifications in the bell icon list.

And put the "Your presence is requiredested" ping/mentions in a @ symbol (or Who pinged me emogi) marked list.
YH9m.gif

When you said you had to up the limit I wasn't sure if that meant the amount of notifs allowed in the bell list, and if the limit for that list was that easily reached, that dividing the notifs by type might help a bit. :huh:

Dex-chan lover
The pings don't appear to be working now. I just noticed a new mention this morning by chance that wasn't indicated by the notifications bell. 🔔 :pout:

Dex-chan lover
Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
What I've noticed is that if you reply to someone and then add a ping to someone else they don't get it.
For example if I reply to Ivegotnolife
Yeah that one worked, but the one from last night around midnight didn't ring the bell.
There's not a record of it in the alerts history either. Do pings not work when I'm not logged in?
:questionblob:

It's the mention by mr_detective on the bottom

Not sure if it was posted as a functional ping or just a url.
and ping @Mr_Detective he wont receive the notification. At least thats what I noticed but I could be wrong I was tired af when I noticed.

Group Leader
@sterven @Ivegotnolife I did get the notifications that Sterven mentioned me, and that Nolife replied to this thread. As for why he didn't get the ping from me; I posted that post first, then edited it to ping him. Seems like the ping function doesn't work if you edit your post.
Upanhso.tk-13.gif

Edit: Also, there seems to be another issue. I was notified that Samhill and EOTF responded to my thread here. https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/the-ping-function-doesnt-work-anymore.1095984/#post-16778517
But wasn't notified about Mawmaw and everyone else's replies in that thread.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
Seems like the ping function doesn't work if you edit your post.
Yeah that wouldn't surprise me

But wasn't notified about Mawmaw and everyone else's replies in that thread.
if you read the notification carefully, it says "there may be more posts after this", so that you only get 1 notification per thread until you visit it

Users who are viewing this thread