The Princess of Sylph - Vol. 3 Ch. 15 - Tuberose (3)

Group Leader
Kamejiro was running close to the deadline this month, so in lieu of an extra she just posted the slap on twitter for all to see. Having fun messing with the audience.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the end of volume 3, since it comes out to 149 pages while the others were at ~165. Naturally there would be an interlude but those aren't usually 20 pages to make up the difference. So maybe a story chapter next month, maybe not.

Overall it's a setup chapter, but a damn good one. We hit a soft dilemma for the demand to use the royal sword, showcase how woefully unprepared a nation that's only known peace for 300 years is to deal with even a minor disaster, establish the complexities of healing magic, introduce messenger butterflies, establish that monsters grow off negative emotions, and Sara's inner conflict is re-opened.

This side arc is absolutely loaded with the groundwork for events that surely won't happen a 2nd time. I always appreciate how naturally Kamejiro's been working in worldbuilding, though I guess retelling the story makes it a bit easier.

Speaking of someone throwing a brand new wrench in the works, Tania remains a mystery, blah blah blah. I have such a hard time determining her character. Her goals seem nobler by the chapter so you'd almost forget she was introduced as someone willing to break any rule to get what she wants. Most of why I'm wary is how consistently Kamejiro described her outside the story as deceitful, cold-blooded, and dangerously charming.

Her internal thoughts are more detached and calculating than her friendly persona. She's not too bothered by the plant killing the merchant, and helping later could just be a way to help save herself. Who even knows if she didn't want to cause a little panic by revealing the plant drains your mana? She's too perceptive to not realize it might be best to hide that information. Or maybe it reveals her cultural bias towards monsters. It could be that worsening the situation is a way to get the royal sword in play, or she was just careless. But there's no way she wouldn't expect Sara to come up in a room full of people sharing their secrets, and she's all too happy to let Sara get pressured into telling more.

She's hardly done anything to deserve this level of scrutiny, but I don't get the feeling the 4 princesses are going to have the friendliest relationships. And someone hiding her real name has to be hiding something else too. Next chapter I'm expecting the resolution to the parasitic plants, an explanation of whatever the hell Natalia's plan is, and Tania to start making her move now that she and Natalia finally met.

Random thoughts
  • Natalia definitely faked the slap sound with wind magic. She'd never hit her wife. Sara's face doesn't really look like she got hit either, just braced for it.
  • I guess this confirms my speculation that homosexuality's a lot more accepted in Wind compared to Fire.
  • I get the sense Kamejiro's been practicing expressions lately. There's a lot of variety these past few chapters, from exaggerated to subtle.
  • The Enna redemption embracing being a bitch we all just put up with arc begins.

Dex-chan lover
Ngl I expected that priestess to end up a charlatan, but at least she's capable of more than slander and unfathomable depths of jealousy.

Imo Tania can be anything, afterall, action speak louder than words and she's already shown that she's nothing but trouble. She's not even hiding her plan. Stealing a sword, returning it when it's no longer needed...? Returning when exactly, and if the sword protects against monsters, what of the Sylph's kingdom while it is away? So, basically, as long as the sword chases monsters away, she would have no trouble keeping it indefinitely using monsters as an excuse. Malicious, is what Tania is so far.

Dex-chan lover
Her internal thoughts are more detached and calculating than her friendly persona. She's not too bothered by the plant killing the merchant, and helping later could just be a way to help save herself. Who even knows if she didn't want to cause a little panic by revealing the plant drains your mana? She's too perceptive to not realize it might be best to hide that information. Or maybe it reveals her cultural bias towards monsters. It could be that worsening the situation is a way to get the royal sword in play, or she was just careless. But there's no way she wouldn't expect Sara to come up in a room full of people sharing their secrets, and she's all too happy to let Sara get pressured into telling more.
I definitely got the impression that she was stoking the fire so that Natalia would come with the sword. Not sure if she planned all of this as much as just wanted to take advantage of a situation she happened to watch unfold, but still.

Dex-chan lover
that’s quite performance they did like a couple who found their partner doing something nasty in tv drama show :pepela:

obviously that was fake slap, but they doing it like a real one lmao

Dex-chan lover
Natalia definitely faked the slap sound with wind magic. She'd never hit her wife. Sara's face doesn't really look like she got hit either, just braced for it.
this is such a cute detail ❤️

Dex-chan lover
Imo Tania can be anything, afterall, action speak louder than words and she's already shown that she's nothing but trouble. She's not even hiding her plan. Stealing a sword, returning it when it's no longer needed...? Returning when exactly, and if the sword protects against monsters, what of the Sylph's kingdom while it is away?
Maybe she is just bluffing and thinks she can get away with it because of how naive the wind kingdom's people are about monsters? I wonder if her burning through the literal walls that protect Ventfleur is foreshadowing of a larger disregard for the wind kingdom people's safety

Dex-chan lover
It was interesting that all the gossip seems to focus on their perceived difference in station, not on that they are both women. Add in the guy loudly proclaiming his love for another man and it gives a real nice "little to no homophobia" vibe.

Double-page supporter
Thank you for the translation! It's as high quality as always.
It's getting harder and harder not to spoil myself with the twitter version... I hope I can last the month!

Users who are viewing this thread