The Rising of the Shield Hero

Dex-chan lover
@crouton @LyonDRC
The novel had two endings - one when the author originally intended to end it, but got such an angry reaction from the readers that he wrote a second one. IMHO both are crap:
Ending 1:
A goddess is revealed to be the final enemy. I won't bother you with the why and how, but the bullshit part of the end is basically that she just snaps her finger, Naofumi and his party gets wiped out in battle with her after not being able to inflict any damage. The skill she hits him with first is 100% hit, 100% death and the speed "exceeds infinity".... yeah, but somehow he blocks that. Then she kills him by erasing him from this world and all other realities that exist... err, ok? So he, together with the other heroes, dies. He then reawakens in his original world in the library where he opened the book that got him into the other world, and Raphtalia is with him. The end.

So the readers were pissed with this ending to no end, because it just came outta nowhere and left the entire story totally unresolved. It felt like it had gotten the axe, but really that was the ending the author had in mind. Just imagine a road trip movie that is just somehwere in the middle of the arc and suddenly outta nowhere the car crashes into a wall and the credits roll.
So after getting buttloads of flak, a few extra chapters were added.

Ending 2:
Naofumi and Raphtalia manage to return to the world after basically ascending to godhood themselves. Combat between gods now happens via "concepts". Which is really nothing more than childish bullshit from the sandlot along the lines of "my shield blocks infinite amount of damage" - "yeah, but my attack does infinite damage +5!" - "then my shield now blocks infinity x5 damage!". Yeah, that kind of idiocy. They beat the goddess, save the world, and Naofumi, Raphtalia, Firo and Atlas become eternal guardian gods over the world.

It's a better ending as in that it actually resolves things instead of just suddenly being over. But the entire story of how they ascend to godhood and the battle between gods itself is a total clusterfuck and cringeworthy without end. It really feels more like pre-schoolers bickering instead of an epic fight between gods.

So yeah, while both endings are kinda crap, the entire story that leads up to there is great. I liked the characters and the world they live in and built around themselves.

I won't spoil chapter 304 though. Just saying that it was one of the high points of the novel to me, and amongst the most memorable.

Group Leader
@Narf
So yeah, while both endings are kinda crap, the entire story that leads up to there is great. I liked the characters and the world they live in and built around themselves.
So then I hope the artist isn't dumb enough to go there. Otherwise that would be a great way to end your career as a mangaka.

Dex-chan lover
@JustNatsuki
The author of the manga didn't change from the light novel, only the artist. While it does have a few changes from the novel, mostly in that the story gets shortened a lot, I wouldn't hold my hopes high for a change in the general way the story will evolve.

Group Leader
@Narf Yeah, I know, but it's not unusual in this industry for different mediums having different endings.

You know, if the light novel really has a shitty ending, perhaps this time around, the author will make a better ending or flesh out the 2nd ending better.

what fitoria is saying: " I don't need your civil war". I'v been listening to guns and roses this entire day

Dex-chan lover
my god, the spear hero is a disgusting piece of shit......

tbh all the heros but the mc are so full of themselves its sickening.

why would they give that loli bird fucker hero a spin-off?

Edit: he's such a fucking man-whore...guess it only makes sense he fell for that thot. XD

Dex-chan lover
@PsychoJing Oh boy if you dislike the heroes that much you're gonna
enjoy the later bits then.
As for what's up with the Spear Hero it's because ...
he is actually a good but VERY stupid person ... no joke.
He simply can't fathom the fact that woman could lie to him so he believes everything they say ... a fact a certain bitch used for all it's worth. Once he gets over that fact (or more like singled one girl ... "shudder" out due to unlocking his won weapon of sin ... guess which) he becomes a pretty damn loyal ally.
It even shows in his backstory. The reason he dated two girls is because he knew both loved him and he wanted to make both of them happy. The fact that the girls could be jealous of each other culminating in them killing him is something he doesn't really understand because in his mind Woman can't have negative traits.

as much as the first chapters where interesting the further we go into the story, the worse it gets, now it feels like I'm reading some kids comic book....

@JustNatsuki
thats why we got shounen and seinen tags... and what you say is true about the first tag.

well why did I even answer, idk! dw about it even if you answer back I wont read it! feel free to ignore this as well!

Those 3 heroes... It is starting to annoy me that they don't act more like THEIR LIVES ARE ON THE FUCKING LINE!

Power Uploader
@MarceloYuri

Well, as someone that's read the web novel, I can say it gets worse before it gets better, however, Naofumi latches onto a truth that I'm not sure he's come upon yet in the manag (I'd have to re-read the entire stretch to be sure).

I'd love to kill at least 2 of those so called 'heros' myself... Spearboy for sure....

@MarceloYuri
Ren kinda gets a pass since he's still underage, plus he is the most reasonable of the three. Motoyasu's stupidity wasn't cured with death, but then again he was that kind of person even before getting isekai'd. He'll kinda get a pass later. At least he stops being as annoying.
The problem in the very end is Itsuki. His hero complex plus his band of shoe lickers makes it very hard for him to enter reason.

Users who are viewing this thread