Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi - Ch. 57.2

Dex-chan lover
The problem is that freezing greatly alters the texture and flavor, reducing the freshness of the ingredients. This is why the Japanese use shoyu (soy sauce), wasabi, and rice vinegar on raw fish, as they not only add flavor to sushi and sashimi, but also act as natural antiseptics and antiparasitic agents.
I read that freezing does not change the taste and instead keep the fish "fresh".
From what I found in Japan the fish is frozen just after being caught for that reason but the information about the natural cleaning is helpful, especially considering the idea is to be able to eat raw fish in a medieval level society.

Dex-chan lover
I've been ruminating on this a lot recently, after recalling one series i refuse to read since the mc was SO DAMN RUDE and the author purposely made all the food terrible just so they could do "Japanese food best!".

All these series that go out of their way to show the good food cultures of these worlds (even if they may be lacking modern staples, processing methods, or simply modern cook ware or recipes) are way more enjoyable to read.

Esp bc culturally, it feels like things are building upon each other rather than something being stamped out.
Can you share which one was that rude MC series so I can avoid?

Dex-chan lover
I read that freezing does not change the taste and instead keep the fish "fresh".
From what I found in Japan the fish is frozen just after being caught for that reason but the information about the natural cleaning is helpful, especially considering the idea is to be able to eat raw fish in a medieval level society.
Yeah, it's not frozen for a long time, which is what actually changes the flavours; it's basically quick frozen for short term storage and parasite removal, then kept cold on ice right up until the moments of being prepared, to ensure freshness. Some places will prepare specially bred fish from tanks right in the restaurant, but most any fish will have been frozen from sea to shore; rarely smaller sea fish are not frozen and only kept in a holding tank for the trip, but these would be those species where it is well-known that whatever parasites they may have do not interact with human gut biome at all, are kept alive for as long as possible so that when dispatched they can be gutted immediately to prevent transfer from gut to muscle, and the combination of extremely thin slices (sometimes scored every 1 mm to help kill parasites) and application of wasabi and soy sauce et al help ensure any parasites that may be living in the meat are damaged sufficiently to die in the human gut or are outright killed beforehand, as well. Any non-sea fish will be frozen, no ifs ands or buts, because of the risk.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, it's not frozen for a long time, which is what actually changes the flavours; it's basically quick frozen for short term storage and parasite removal,
How long you freeze it for doesn’t matter much since once it’s fully frozen not much is gonna happen. Many commercial fishing boats even stay at sea for months, so there’s no way to avoid keeping them frozen for extended periods.
What does matter is HOW you freeze it. Flash freezing is generally accepted as the best way to do it, as it prevents larger ice crystals from forming, which in turn reduces the amount of damage to the fish’s cells. This way you maintain the texture and taste as if the fish were freshly caught.

Dex-chan lover
I mean bro, you did save their business, so you should take it with grace. Packmule Fer..im dead XD

Dex-chan lover
How long you freeze it for doesn’t matter much since once it’s fully frozen not much is gonna happen. Many commercial fishing boats even stay at sea for months, so there’s no way to avoid keeping them frozen for extended periods.
What does matter is HOW you freeze it. Flash freezing is generally accepted as the best way to do it, as it prevents larger ice crystals from forming, which in turn reduces the amount of damage to the fish’s cells. This way you maintain the texture and taste as if the fish were freshly caught.
Actually, how long you freeze it for DOES matter. Flash freezing processes are best for quickly freezing and retaining quality in the short term, most certainly, but it is only one factor of several in the equation; the longer something is frozen, the larger the ice crystals become regardless of initial freezing process, to an eventual maximum size. This isn't even mentioning osmotic removal of water, myosin denaturation, solute over-saturation, mechanical damage, as well as cross-linking and aggregation of myofibrillar protein (it is sensitive to external stresses, and denatures relatively quickly, so provides a good measure for damage), all of which affect the integrity and quality of the meat.

Citations:
https://seafood.oregonstate.edu/sit...es-to-maintain-onboard-quality-and-safety.pdf
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36052640/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174018306594
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0309174008000028
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0963996903000735
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0065262808603201

Dex-chan lover
Freebie fish means sashimi!!

doom-slayer-hungry.gif

Dex-chan lover
I've been ruminating on this a lot recently, after recalling one series i refuse to read since the mc was SO DAMN RUDE and the author purposely made all the food terrible just so they could do "Japanese food best!".

All these series that go out of their way to show the good food cultures of these worlds (even if they may be lacking modern staples, processing methods, or simply modern cook ware or recipes) are way more enjoyable to read.

Esp bc culturally, it feels like things are building upon each other rather than something being stamped out.
what series?

Dex-chan lover
I like that there is some good local cuisine in this world, it's not just another chapter about the MC cooking some Japanese dish and his familiars being blown away by it.
unexpected tho.
usually in beginning of chapters, mc tried their cooking and it taste horrible.
i read too much isekai, i even forgot which one which

Users who are viewing this thread