Until I Become Me - Ch. 63

Dex-chan lover
Really kinda hope we'll eventually get to see them talk about their "feelings" too eventually, since Akira sometimes implied as much and Rumi uh.. she does Rumi things 🙄

I just don't hope it'll go in the direction of "Akira has become a girl, so she has to eventually love boys"

Eitherway just glad that's finally resolved 🫡

Dex-chan lover
I just don't hope it'll go in the direction of "Akira has become a girl, so she has to eventually love boys"
Well, she just found out that gayness is a thing, and said “oooooh…”
So…

Aggregator gang
So…
Do you remember which chapter? I'm not in a mood to reread whole thing and skimming sometimes fails.

Dex-chan lover
No need to rationalize when its just the truth, Rumi is very much the main love interest and the only person shown with a clear and consistent interest. Definitely agree with you
I don't trust non yuri authors though :notlikethis:
There was a chance for that earlier and it was passed, so I don't think the manga will go that way, would be weird to try it twice. And yeah, this manga has been just, so good on how it handles its themes and premise, so much different than like any other gender-bender that I know. Tis the good shit
Hum, that is true unless it goes for love triangle between Rumi and a boy I guess, actually, I feel if anything we're more likely to get yuri drama than het, didn't we get some subtext with other girls too?
Example, that one girl who Akira didn't exactly like but she kept inserting herself and trying to be friends, although she might have been part of a het drama we had with side characters, I remember too little lol

As for the manga quality, I think the mangaka either has personal experience or simply did their research about gender and sexuality, unfortunately most Japanese don't really know shit about the subject, much less LGBT.
Japan can be surprisingly backwards with some social issues thanks to their focus on collective "harmony", you know, suffer in silence because it's more convenient for everyone else.

Dex-chan lover
Author made really good choice. No needless drama where her own classmates discovered her.

Dex-chan lover
45, page 12-13.
Though she looked more scared than anything else imo.
My take on it is that:
  1. She didn't like the idea of Rumi being with someone else
  2. It was more shock of finding out that boys can be together
Next chapter she gets pissed when Rumi tells her to talk to a boy, later when they do poki game with Rumi she has panik and thinks briefly about being with Rumi
the manga is gayer than I remember lol

Note 1: I honestly don't remember if the sweet name was poki or not lol
Just that it sounded like that

Note 2: I could probably make a spreadsheet of all the gays movements :thonk:

Double-page supporter
My kudos to Satou Hatsuki.
I've known for quite a while that Hatsuki's art has been improving, but this chapter's craftmanship jumps out at me. Akira's expressions on page 13, and the headshots of our heroine and Rumi on page 22 are beautiful. Even if both girls are emotionally strained (for presumably different reasons).

My notion that Rumi knew something about Akira's condition has now been proven false. I had made the wild guess that Rumi must have overheard the teachers talking about a new girl that used to be a boy. Alas, she did not.

It is clear that Rumi is genuinely concerned for Akira's sake, and is worried that she may have damaged her in some way. Akira of course, regrets lying to his closest friend, the most important person - apart from her mother and grandmother (and maybe nurse Okabe) - she has in her life. We saw what happened with Akira when the two 'split up' when Aoi came into the picture. If such a split happened this time, it would be more devastating (I don't think that will happen though).

Speaking of Aoi, I wonder what her reaction will be. She's next on the list after all (and many here think she's the best girl anyway). Akira, the girly girl that loves Duel Oh cards as much as she does was once a boy! Wonder what sort of blow her ego will take, if at all. I for one hope she takes the new information in stride.

Regarding sexuality, this is were a lot of you will pounce on me. I've held the firm belief that one's sexuality is tied to their genetics. That is to say, the gender of the person who you like romantically is determined by the chemical code that makes you, you. Sounds cold and clinical, but as far as I know, that's the truth. Otherwise, you might as well tell me that those 'Pray Away the Gay camps' had a point. I don't think anyone here believes that.

Now, regarding the text, it's clear that Akira has developed the strongest bond with Rumi (now this is the point were you start throwing stones at me); I don't want to see it develop into something romantic. I don't like seeing friendships like this become sexual - it feels tawdry. Regarding my ideas of how sexuality and genetics are intertwined, I do believe that Akira's sexuality may have changed because of her transformation. This might not be the case, but humanity is composed mostly of heterosexuals for a reason (it ain't God - it's Natural Selection, and Natural Selection demands that anything that is not beneficial to the propagation of a species must be ejected - it's why we have five fingers instead of seven) and there is a good chance that she's a straight girl (her past as a boy may confuse her, but she could be as into boys as the lead singer of Judas Priest). Of course, she could still retain her previous orientation. Exceptions do occur (though they are sterile); a completely heterosexual population requires an exceptionally nosy Intelligent Designer - an idea as absurd as 'Pray Away the Gay'.

If she is straight, then, my money is on Kikuchi. Or Aoi's little brother (I totally forgot his name).

Alas I have been wrong. Take note of my previous idea that Rumi knew something.

P.S. I can't help but imagine that Akira might pursue a career in modelling as an adult (high-end modelling, not, you know...) due to her eagerness to look cute, and Rumi's influence.

P.S.S. I too want to see Akira's reunion with Nana (it seems like a foregone conclusion). I suspect though, that Nana will be apologizing to Akira (one wonders if Rumi will send Nana videos and pictures of Akira through their equivalent of facebook/twatter/whatever in an attempt to help) for not helping her out after that bathroom incident that no one wants to remember and wishes had never happened. I suspect that Nana will become the superhero type, always helping out others because of her one failure with Akira. Yup, I think Nana will grow up to be a therapist.

P.S.S.S. I hope Akira meets other people like her. I'm just curious to see her reaction.

Dex-chan lover
Regarding sexuality, this is were a lot of you will pounce on me. I've held the firm belief that one's sexuality is tied to their genetics. That is to say, the gender of the person who you like romantically is determined by the chemical code that makes you, you. Sounds cold and clinical, but as far as I know, that's the truth. Otherwise, you might as well tell me that those 'Pray Away the Gay camps' had a point. I don't think anyone here believes that.
There are identical twins with complete opposite orientations.

There is no solid explanation for it.
It is inherent to the individual, but it’s not genetics.
Probably a random variation in formation of the brain.

Potential for gender variance outside of the norm or opposing to typical biology has been shown to be heritable. This makes orientation a very complex thing, and it’s hard to deal with those variables when neither is fully understood.

I choose to believe in souls etc (Jewish, specifically. Completely and totally unconcerned with what anyone else believes. I loooove atheists.), so that’s part of my explanation, aside “I guess brains and shit?”

So yeah. Not shown to have anything to do with genetics.

PS:
Intersex people are not necessarily sterile. There is a multigenerational family line in Eastern Europe of women who are XY.
Chromosome variance is potentially very common. Not many people get their chromosomes identified. There’s generally no need, so yeah.
Many people could be mosaic or otherwise not know it.

PPS:
I suggest studying scientific studies and possibly talk to experts if you want to comment on these topics.

You really Dunninged the Krueger, here.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
There are identical twins with complete opposite orientations.

I knew identical twins too. One had a mole on her face. The other did not.
There is still some genetic variation, even if twins are technically speaking, clones. Indeed:
Kari Stefansson, the co-author of the paper, said identical twins had been used traditionally to help researchers try to separate the influence of genetics v environment in the analysis of diseases and other conditions.
“So if you take identical twins raised apart and one of them developed autism, the classic interpretation has been that that is caused by the environment.

“But that is an extraordinarily dangerous conclusion,” he said, adding that there was a possibility the condition could be due to an early genetic mutation in one twin but not the other.
A mutation means an alteration in a sequence of DNA – a tiny change that is not inherently good or bad but can influence physical features or susceptibility to certain diseases or disorders.

Jan Dumanski, a geneticist at Uppsala University in Sweden, who was not involved in the new paper, praised it as “a clear and important contribution” to medical research. “The implication is that we have to be very careful when we are using twins as a model” for teasing apart the influences of nature and nurture, he said.
This was taken from The Scientist Magazine (I had to read the whole thing on the Guardian though). You can find examples of this article here, (here too, though the article seems different) and here.

Probably a random variation in formation of the brain.

Potential for gender variance outside of the norm or opposing to typical biology has been shown to be heritable. This makes orientation a very complex thing, and it’s hard to deal with those variables when neither is fully understood.

Genetics is messy. Exceptions will always exist. Because Intelligent Design is not a thing. But there is a norm for a reason. I do definitely agree that the reasons behind orientation are complex, but the data I have suggests genetics to be a primary cause.

I choose to believe in souls etc (Jewish, specifically. Completely and totally unconcerned with what anyone else believes. I loooove atheists.), so that’s part of my explanation, aside “I guess brains and shit?”

So yeah. Not shown to have anything to do with genetics.

I draw the line on the supernatural. Won't argue there.

PS:
Intersex people are not necessarily sterile.

You are correct - certainly on the individual basis - but I was referring to large populations. Basically, the general sense. Sorry if my language was inaccurate. And I wasn't talking about Intersex people anyway. I was using genetics to try to figure out what one fictional intersex character's romantic options could possibly be like. I also admitted I could be wrong.

There is a multigenerational family line in Eastern Europe of women who are XY.

That is a good example of an exception (which will always exist). Could you please provide me with more information on this family?
Chromosome variance is potentially very common.

Please be specific in what you mean by this.

I suggest studying scientific studies and possibly talk to experts if you want to comment on these topics.

That is good advice that everyone should follow. Including you.
You really Dunninged the Krueger, here.

Maybe. I certainly wasn't presenting myself as an authority, only basing my opinions on what I know. If I did Dunninged the Krueger, I'm not alone. Welcome to the party.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Jesus kreebus…

I really dislike this person.

“There’s not really strong evidence”.

“There’s more to it than that.”

“It’s more complicated than that.”

“I recommend doing more research.”

And I am told I was acting like I know more than I do.

I gave some basic “you’re oversimplifying and making firm blanket statements” ish and I get sass back.
Really told on themselves as someone more interested in being right.

Also proudly contrary to popular opinion and belief. “this is where you guys” if you think people will get angry at you, what you say is irrelevant to the subject at hand and you ANNOUNCE THAT YOU WANT PEOPLE TO @ YOU, I think you might be a troll, whether intentional or not.

Mole placement and existence isn’t about genetics!
It’s about cell differentiation (iirc) and such!

“There’s genetic variation between people with exactly the same genetic makeup because the used to literally be one thing.” Are they talking epigenetics?

IGNORED.

They finally got their aquarium date!!!!

I'm so glad they finally got to have this talk and that Rumi was accepting... Akira really needed a win like this. This chapter was well worth the wait!!

Double-page supporter
Jesus kreebus…

I really dislike this person.

You're free to do that.

“There’s not really strong evidence”.

“There’s more to it than that.”

“It’s more complicated than that.”

“I recommend doing more research.”

And I am told I was acting like I know more than I do.

Indeed.

I gave some basic “you’re oversimplifying and making firm blanket statements” ish and I get sass back.
Really told on themselves as someone more interested in being right.

No. You were just rude. That was evident to me. I merely stated an opinion based on what I knew, which I admit might be wrong. You have clearly decided that I am making absolute statements. You want me to be your bad guy.
You seem to be the one more interested in being right. Otherwise you'd provide links to debunk my statements. You did not do that. You wrote a manifesto instead.

Also proudly contrary to popular opinion and belief. “this is where you guys” if you think people will get angry at you, what you say is irrelevant to the subject at hand and you ANNOUNCE THAT YOU WANT PEOPLE TO @ YOU, I think you might be a troll, whether intentional or not.

What? What are you talking about? My initial post was about how I loved the artwork, and a comment on what I believed Akira's orientation would be, and why (along with other frivolities). Your commentary seems far away from this specific chapter of this series. You seem offended by my cursory knowledge of genetics. Okay.

Mole placement and existence isn’t about genetics!
It’s about cell differentiation (iirc) and such!

"Cell differentiation is how generic embryonic cells become specialized cells. This occurs through a process called gene expression. Gene expression is the specific combination of genes that are turned on or off (expressed or repressed), and this is what dictates how a cell functions."

When I'm talking about genetics, I'm talking about DNA. You know. Genes. Chemicals that make up the body. That sort of thing. I could also include RNA.
Are you telling me that the genetic composition of our bodies has nothing to do with who we are? Then just say it. I understand that some people have a more spiritual way of looking at themselves. I, however, am a materialist.

“There’s genetic variation between people with exactly the same genetic makeup because the used to literally be one thing.” Are they talking epigenetics?

IGNORED.

You certainly did ignore what was said in the links I provided. Dunning-Kreuger effect indeed.

Have a good day.

Dex-chan lover
So…
Do you remember which chapter? I'm not in a mood to reread whole thing and skimming sometimes fails.
45, page 12-13.
Though she looked more scared than anything else imo.
There's that, and also during Akira's sleepover with Okabe, when Akira asked her about having to start liking boys, she told her "You'll like who you like" [chapter 41 pg 11]. So its clearly been on Akira's mind.

Dex-chan lover
Ruri's first thought after this wasn't to be hurt she never knew the truth or angry this was kept a secret. It was that she was so afraid she had robbed Akira of her own choices during that painful time for her, that she had tried to be helpful but may have been a negative influence on her from the start. That's a good friend for Akira right there, worried even being told about this about Akira.

Dex-chan lover
I'm so glad this chapter happened. I've been dreading a bunch of worst case scenarios for Akira until now. One of which her running into people she knew in elementary school after getting into high school amd them dropping the bomb.

Aggregator gang
if mc back to normal gain, it feels they become couple just hoping author make story like that

Users who are viewing this thread