Use native language for each language name inside Interface Language

The languages inside the Interface Language should not be translated when switching languages but instead the language names should be written in their native language. I think that would be better.

The list inside Interface Language currently translates the language names, while my suggestion would keep the language names in their native language.
EnglishFrenchNative language for each language
EnglishAnglais
English
FrenchFrançais
Français

The advantage you would get from this is that even if you are on a language you dont understand, you should be able to easily find the languages you can understand.
Or the opposite, the disadvantage would be not being able to easily find your own language if you dont do the native language approach.

A concern could be that the list then would contain language names which user might not be able to read.
For example, if the native language table also contained 日本 (engl.: japanese, copied from google translate), I would not be able to read this.
But I dont think it is a terrible trade-off because usually there should be no reason to choose a language which you dont understand, so I think it is fine if the list contains words which the user does not understand.

Finding the Interface Language itself when being in a wrong language might be difficult itself too, so adding an icon in front of the text might be nice.

Youtube is probably a good example as it is pretty much doing it exactly as explained in here.

Upvote 9
Double-page supporter
I second this. And actually this is only proper way how it should work. Just go check language switcher/selector in wikipedia or your smartphone settings.

A concern could be that the list then would contain language names which user might not be able to read.
For example, if the native language table also contained 日本 (engl.: japanese, copied from google translate), I would not be able to read this.
Why does it matter? If you can't read language name it's obvious you wouldn't be able to read anything in that language. So thats actually another safety "don't do it" thing IMO.

Edit: Language selector (partial) in wikipedia
1YiCvrf.png

Last edited:
Contributor
I agree and I don't agree.

If you want to add a title in a different language it can become much more difficult to find it :
  • You don't know where it's sorted
  • If you don't know the flag nor the alphabet of the language it will be complicated

Double-page supporter
I agree and I don't agree.

If you want to add a title in a different language it can become much more difficult to find it :
  • You don't know where it's sorted
  • If you don't know the flag nor the alphabet of the language it will be complicated
How's it related to the topic? This thread is about interface language selector.

This thing only. Nothing else.
TujXL54.png

Contributor
How's it related to the topic? This thread is about interface language selector.

This thing only. Nothing else.
TujXL54.png
Oh just interface language selector not all the language selectors ??

My bad then...

Users who are viewing this thread